User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
M1GarandShooter OP
Insane

Oddometer: 3
Motoadventura in Chile - Warning

Just got off a great 8 day ride in Chile and Argentina. We rented F800GS and F650GS from them. All was good until we returned the bikes with some minor cosmetic damage. They are trying to charge full BMW replacement costs for wear and tear. In some cases, the repair costs were higher than the rental. Do not rent anything from Motoaventura as they will rip you off when you return the bike. This is all part of the scam.
M1GarandShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
May have saved some problems

Thank you, family member is headed down over winter time w/ 3 friends & that is where they were headed.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GarandShooter View Post
Just got off a great 8 day ride in Chile and Argentina. We rented F800GS and F650GS from them. All was good until we returned the bikes with some minor cosmetic damage. They are trying to charge full BMW replacement costs for wear and tear. In some cases, the repair costs were higher than the rental. Do not rent anything from Motoaventura as they will rip you off when you return the bike. This is all part of the scam.
OK Noob, first spell the name of the company correctly, then before you start issuing warnings tell us what you consider minor cosmetic damage and wear and tear

And from the Motoaventura website Damages are responsibility of the rider, we need a blank voucher of credit card as guarantee.

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 08:55 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
M1GarandShooter OP
Insane

Oddometer: 3
Their bikes come pretty scratched up. If every scratch and ding is not annotated in the document THEY prepare for you RAPIDLY on departure, they ding you for it on return. Two of our folks had to pay $75 for new BMW tank roundels that had some minor scratches on them...and they never even dropped the bike. Two other guys are now paying over $1000 for cracked headlight glass that is a problem with the 800 series according to the rental place. Most all of us had to pay at least $200 for them to "repair" small dings in the front wheels. One guy was smart enough to take pictures of his bike and was able to get them to reduce the charge. All in all, two of the seven will nearly pay as much in damage fees as the bike rental. Word to the wise...don't buy it when they tell you to sign a blank credit card form and also tell you that normal dings, scratches, are normal at the same time. Make sure you meticulously verify every possible damage up front. Our other issue is we picked up in Santiago and returned in Osorno so they had some denyability.
M1GarandShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Their bikes come pretty scratched up. If every scratch and ding is not annotated in the document THEY prepare for you RAPIDLY on departure, they ding you for it on return. Two of our folks had to pay $75 for new BMW tank roundels that had some minor scratches on them...and they never even dropped the bike. Two other guys are now paying over $1000 for cracked headlight glass that is a problem with the 800 series according to the rental place. Most all of us had to pay at least $200 for them to "repair" small dings in the front wheels. One guy was smart enough to take pictures of his bike and was able to get them to reduce the charge. All in all, two of the seven will nearly pay as much in damage fees as the bike rental. Word to the wise...don't buy it when they tell you to sign a blank credit card form and also tell you that normal dings, scratches, are normal at the same time. Make sure you meticulously verify every possible damage up front. Our other issue is we picked up in Santiago and returned in Osorno so they had some denyability.
I think most people know to identify EVERY ding and scratch on the rental agreement before taking possession of the bike. That is common even with rental cars in the U.S. And I would imagine everyone had a camera with them. Bet you won't make the same mistake again
Marine By Choice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
At least one of you was smart enough to take the time to document the vehicle condition prior to acceptance. I trust the rest of you have learned something. Charging for damage is common practice

It sounds like the company acted reasonably with the guy with the photo documentation. I can assure you if you don't leave your "blank" credit card you won't be leaving the rental parking lot.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Spartan
It's All Attitude

Oddometer: 197
I had a great experience with Motoaventura. I rode with Roberto for two weeks on a tour. He took us on a road he was not familiar with and three riders fell and damaged the bikes. He felt responsible and there was no charge for any of the damage. Very generous. One rider did go out on his own on another day, damaged the bike and was charged accordingly. Parts are expensive in Chili.
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I would never rent BMWs in small countries. For the renters a BMW is precious piece of machine. If you fall, if you make small damages as dings etc.. they will look on you and your wallet.
That's the bad side of renting .
I have rented many cars in Peru, Chile etc.. and when you return them, they look for any thing with a magnifying lens.
Go into a BMW place for parts and service, and prepare yourself to pay a mortgage. Ask for a non common part , seat and wait for weeks.

Thanks, but I wouldn't do that.

Yesterday I left a BMW 1200GS at the shop, 2007 well taking care bike. The boxer at the spark plug place was crack, who knows why?. The front brake was pulsing , so the disc was warped (????), and the ABS unit stop working (????) . It is this one of the best technologies in the world?. Thanks god the bike was not mine, because I would regret having a BMW, but I have a 1985 K100 so far with no problems. It is something wrong here or what!!!

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
I would never rent BMWs in small countries. For the renters a BMW is precious piece of machine. If you fall, if you make small damages as dings etc.. they will look on you and your wallet.
That's the bad side of renting .
I have rented many cars in Peru, Chile etc.. and when you return them, they look for any thing with a magnifying lens.
Go into a BMW place for parts and service, and prepare yourself to pay a mortgage. Ask for a non common part , seat and wait for weeks.

Thanks, but I wouldn't do that.

Yesterday I left a BMW 1200GS at the shop, 2007 well taking care bike. The boxer at the spark plug place was crack, who knows why?. The front brake was pulsing , so the disc was warped (????), and the ABS unit stop working (????) . It is this one of the best technologies in the world?. Thanks god the bike was not mine, because I would regret having a BMW, but I have a 1985 K100 so far with no problems. It is something wrong here or what!!!
What is the boxer at the spark plug place ?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
dustycrust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
sounds like they may be talking about the cyl head, perhaps a crack in the head by the plug?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustycrust View Post
sounds like they may be talking about the cyl head, perhaps a crack in the head by the plug?
Where the cylinder head is and the spark plug connection , it got cracked , most possible due to a fall or extreme heat.
2006-2007 bmw 1200 tend to get the front discs warped due to a hard braking and heat. We are talking BMW here hahahaha!!!, never saw that kind of failure before, but the bill is not nice. $300/disk plus labor.
If the ABS module fail, there you have $2,000 part plus labor.

Price to pay for 2 wheels!!!

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Guessing valve cover.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
Not uncommon for rentals

What you described is almost normal for rentals. That's why you need to photo EVERY minor scratch going out, pointing to each, as well as the person renting to you. Then check the tires and oil, because the tires are usually low.

Photo every inch of the bike AGAIN when turning a rental in, because they may charge your card a day or two later. Call the credit card company when your last charge is posted, to tell them there should be no more from that vendor.

Then keep the photos for at least a couple of months.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
Good thinking
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Rental bikes

This is still a good warning whether the rental company did the right thing or not. If bikes are generally scuffed when you get them I don't think it's OK to charge for everything on an adventure bike. There has to be an expectation of some cosmetic damage and if every little ding get's full replacement cost then it's very good business and unfair trading in my view.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote