ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
WB-PDX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
Triple Sportin' The Lost Coast [Short RR]

I had some unexpected time off work and decided to go back to NorCal and see some of the stuff I missed on my last trip. I also read about the Paradise Royale mountain biking trail and realized there were gravel roads connecting The Lost Coast to the trail head. Also, a cheap campground at the trail head. Seemed perfect.

Left Portland on a cold, rainy and blurry Thursday, was on the road around 6AM. I was sure I would have better weather the further into the trip I got. Every weather website told me this would be the case. It was not

About 100 miles out of Portland I had to stop at Denny's for some food posioning and put on ALL the layers I had with me, but was still cold and wet.

I pressed on and slabbed it into Crescent City and down 101. FYI: Ferndale doesn't have gas except cardlock. I wasted close to two hours running into Ferndale only to discover no gas, then having to come back to 101, head south and do the whole thing over again.

Heading out on Mattole reminded me of Nova Scotia:

Finally out at the Lost Coast, although really the road and drive out here was just as good as arriving:

I sort of started doing the typical Lost Coast loop, but detoured in Honeydew onto gravel roads to head to Paradise Royale. I was really glad I did this, but I did get lost and wound up covering 10+ miles of rough second-gear-gravel on a spur rode that lead absolutely nowhere. I was absolutely gutted when I got to the end of the road and realized I had to go back the way I came.

The road was also really beautiful:

After a few small stream crossings even the weather was looking more promising. There's actually a rainbow in this photo but it didn't turn out.

I arrived at Paradise Royale and found the campground empty except one other car. I was kind of surprised. I set up camp and suffered a fairly miserable rainy, very cold evening.

In the morning I awoke early, wanting to get on the trail before anyone else arrived that might laugh and point at my lack of mountian biking skills.

This is the 'kid friendly' portion of the terrain park. Further down is the 'big kids' part, which features the kinds of jumps you see on the X-Games and in ridiculous youtube videos. I wouldn't even try the kid friendly part (The wooden 'whoop' leads to a 10ft gap jump):

Still raining, I was loving the trail. I never saw another person on the entire 15 mile loop, which is good, because I was walking an embarrassing amount. Ever raining\windy\cold, there were some cool views of the ocean at times:

Crossing Bear Creek:

A typical section of the amazingly nice Paradise Royale loop; the downhills were just insanely fun to ride. The quality and design of the actual trail itself is probably one of the best I have ever ridden. I've seen way better scenery, but the trail itself was just fantastic.

When I got done with the triple sport (biking) I contemplated staying another night; the sun had peeked out while I was packing my stuff up, and things were looking up. Just as I had decided to stay... it started raining again. I packed up and headed south to near Shelter Cove. I picked up Briceland Thron road back to Redway; it was sort of like Paradise Royale: some neat views, but most of all the road itself was just amazing.

Shot back to Cresent City and decided to call it a day. I sprung for a motel so I could shower; where I discovered I had picked up a tick somewhere in the King Range.

This morning I headed back early. Last time I rode through the Smith River area, I wish I had taken photos. I didn't do much better this time, just one photo.

Was raining in one way or another pretty much the whole way back until just outside of Portland.

That's it.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
WB-PDX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
The general route. I think it's pretty much all unpaved from Honeydew South. I know there are some great dualsport roads in this area, but for a big bike loaded down with stuff (and being alone,) this was pretty much perfect.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fe...ra=pr&t=m&z=10

I cannot stress enough that I was an idiot for not having better maps of this area when I set out.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,330
Why?

howcomizzit you needa bi-cycle on that tour?
ewe-kid ride them trails on that beemer.!,

with some practice,,maybe,,
I'd try it!

on your bike,,
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,658
Very cool. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

My group is pondering a ride up the coast through that area, those pictures are inspirational.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Very nice...

Thanks for posting WB-PDX! Nice RR in spite of the weather and decent photos to boot. This one's on the bucket list. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Next time stay in Fortuna across the parking lot from the Eel River Brewpub.

Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post

Finally out at the Lost Coast, although really the road and drive out here was just as good as arriving:

Kind of looks like the same place, only a week earlier and dry. Fun road for sure.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
That has got to be the "most photographed" rock in Califorina.. ( I know I have a bunch of pictures of it)

WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Squirrels
SoloSquirrel

Oddometer: 380
Kudos on your moto/bike setup and destination. Looks like you've been busy with a new bike and toys. Cool!

"Real life is a vague memory we are day forgetin, mile eatin, heart breakin, scenery seein, bug eatin drifters fo sho now." - vermin
Squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,113
Bad ass WB!
I was there this summer minus the mtn bike.
Bad ass MTB mike trail.
Lost Coast is bad ass. Good beer & fish & chips at Shelter Cove - bad ass.
JackAss Ridge dirt road is bad ass.
Did I mention this area is bad ass? Lol
It is.
Glad you enjoyed WB.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,750
Great Pics!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 157
Nice ride report, when did you do this ride? Ferndale did have gas last time I was there. He arrives late and goes home early, old building mid town. I don't count on it and fill before getting there. It is much easier to pick it up while exiting Eureka.

The pot growers generally don't like strangers in the woods, do watch your back. I wouldn't spend much time off road except in a group. We stopped at the store in Petrolia, kids were playing in the parking lot, adults were sitting on a bench smoking dope. No one spoke to us, bought something to drink and decided we didn't belong there.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote