Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
WiFi omni-directional antenna with gain and/or booster?

I live out in the boonies now - literally on a mountain.

Despite the fact that there is a cell tower somewhere near (several actually), I get poor reception on almost all of my property. Sometimes inside my house I don't get any bars, and on much of the property, such as the shop, there is no reception and I am not able to make calls.

I don't have a landline phone (I do have DSL, but I opted to not get the phone).

I just got the DSL about 10 days ago so today I walked around with my Android phone on WiFi mode and noticed that as soon as I step outside the house I usually have no WiFi connection, much less anything at the shop several hundred feet away. The DSL modem router is this little Netgear 7550 with no external antenna hookup, but I do have an older Linksys WiFi router with two antenna connections.

What I want is a good gain omni-directional antenna and/or booster setup so that at least I have WiFi between the house and the shop and other places I will be outside the house. At least within a couple of hundred feet, although it would be better if it was even more - I have 20 acres of heavily wooded and relatively steep land - it would be nice if I had something at the far lower end of my property, or when I am on neighbor's property.

I am aware of the issues of antenna reception and how WiFi works and so on (I have a EE, my General license, and I used to work with RF transceivers). But I am asking for personal experience with various setups like this.

Also, I would eventually like to be able to setup a mesh network with my neighbors (they all have WiFi and DSL, but the DSL is iffy this far out and it would be nice to be able to communicate with them directly if the phone lines went down) - most of them are 500 to 1000 feet away.

The previous owners had a directional antenna on the roof (still there - points towards the shop) for sharing WiFi with a neighbor until they finally got a DSL line into the house but I want mine to be omni.

I do have the option of mounting an antenna up high - numerous tall trees I could use, or I can mount a tower (eventually I am going to put up some HAM antennas).

I don't want a landline because I need WiFi in the shop anyway (when I am working on something there and I want to look up something or I need to email someone) and I think using my smartphone as a WiFi phone instead of using a cordless phone with the landline would be less expensive (no monthly cost for the phone or calls).

Thoughts? Feedback?

TIA
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
ubnt.com -- you are welcome.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Saw they had surveillance cam stuff too. That is another thing I want to get and I want them to be WiFi, not cabled. I would at least like to know who comes up my driveway, if I am home I want to know they are there, and record their license number.

Not rocket science, I know there are products that do all this stuff, but I appreciate feedback and recommendations.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,679
ubiquity is some of the most affordable gear i've dealt with. they are old motorola guys. good stuff.. i've had two radios with uptimes over 3 years. never updated the software.. plug and chug!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: