Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #46
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 713
That coal needs to move to the power plant:

Komatsu I think, possibly from their Haulpak plant, in Peoria IL. That has to piss off Caterpillar, drive down by the river and see a Komatsu factory. A legacy of LeTourneau which makes some big ass electrified equipment.

We don't care..
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,187
Name the crane....

Crane guy, I do not have a bigger pic. I remember that the newspaper said that crane was one of 4 in the world. Buckner was the contractor. I don't think Manitowocs are sold in yellow.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #48
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Ok, if it's Buckner then it's a Liebherr LR1600, another new model. Color is irrelevant as any buyer can take the stock color or have it painted as they wish by the factory.

All of Lampson's cranes are blue for example. All of Bay Crane's are red / white.

Nice find. There are only a few of them in the US as you say.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
I may as well take 'Heavy Equipment' operation off of my resume then... holy hell is that stuff big. I must have been playing with Tonka toys
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
Mike.Gail
Intentionally Blank

Oddometer: 2,294
I work with Caterpillar delivering parts to a local mine. The mine I go to has one of those big Letourneau rubber tire loaders. Watching it move is impressive.

They've also got... what... Two dozen ish Liebherr 400 ton electric drive haul trucks, ten Cat 795f AC electric drive haul trucks, with four more being built and another 22 due for next year. How I get to the build yard allows me to see them from over a mile away from across the pit, and they're big bastards from that far out.

As far as I know one of the two test bed 795s they bought currently holds the record for heaviest load in a standard haul truck at 525 tons. The Liebherrs tend to stop loading at about 350 tons because the dry braking system can't handle the heat, but the 795s go to 400-425 regularly because it's a clutch pack wet braking system. But they can't officially rate them for more that 400 tons because the tires can't be rated for that much. Life of the tire is significantly reduced, and at $125k apiece that gets spendy.

"Injuries are the price we pay for not having sat around on our asses!" - Steve in ATL
Mike.Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #51
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,636
I work at a mine. It's funny to think of how big those trucks and shovels seemed at first, now I'm just used to them. I guess you have to when one's walking 10' off the highwall as the shovel is taking up a scoop.

SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: