User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
b3nji OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Dead battery in the middle of nowhere

So I got all geared up for a ride this morning and my bike wouldn't start. Luckily enough, I was was able to bump start it going downhill on my street. My question is this: What if you're camping in the middle of nowhere (miles to nearest paved road) and can't bump start your motorcycle? Are there portable jump starters out there that are decently sized (small) that can be carried on a road trip?

Thanks!
b3nji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
What about a small solar panel to charge the dead battery?? Won't do any good if the battery won't take a charge but an added benefit is it could be used to charge small electronics like phone while your camping.

Something like this... Solar Charger
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nji View Post
So I got all geared up for a ride this morning and my bike wouldn't start. Luckily enough, I was was able to bump start it going downhill on my street. My question is this: What if you're camping in the middle of nowhere (miles to nearest paved road) and can't bump start your motorcycle? Are there portable jump starters out there that are decently sized (small) that can be carried on a road trip?

Thanks!
I've not had a bike that I wasn't able to bump start on a flat road. Lots of running, lubricate the starter with lots of swearing, and it'll go. Sometimes takes more than one try.
But I'm a reasonably fit younger dude, & the biggest bike I've dealt with in this manner is a I4 600cc. Not sure if its harder with some of the high comp. singles, or if you have something that is very cold blooded to start with. I'll have to ponder this.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
What about a small solar panel to charge the dead battery?? Won't do any good if the battery won't take a charge but an added benefit is it could be used to charge small electronics like phone while your camping.

Something like this... Solar Charger
Those are really maintainers, more than chargers - you'd need a panel 3' X 4' to charge it. i imagine they'll charge it if you have a full day or two in the sun.
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,628
Easy...kick start it!

Yeah, I've done my share of push starting. On gravel with knobbies, I'll shift straight to 2nd gear, to give the wheel a bit more leverage on the motor, then drop all my weight on the rear tire as I let out the clutch.

It can be pretty tough on a 400-600 lb bike with dual sport tires. I haven't had to do it on the 410 lb Dorsoduro yet (the Aprilias are known to have occasional starter relay trouble), but my plan would be to use the same technique but shift straight to 3rd gear. The bike also has drive-by-wire throttle, fuel injection, and electric fuel pump. I'm not sure how it will work in the event of a dead battery. I have the feeling I would be screwed...

That's why I think all bikes should have back-up kick starters, but nobody listens to me...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,298
If you have two bikes, tire to tire on the center stands...

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Dead Battery?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832207

Great question having no juice to start your bike out in the "bush" and no big hill (that you're on the top of) to jump start
and gravel is hard enough to bump a loaded bike. I came close to that situation once and it really rattled my confidence.
I included a dual battery thread link....this is something that should be considered I feel....each of us has his own fears or demons though....being where I am it's pretty easy to get out of cell and/or radio range and a small "power pack" or a kick start option would be nice to have.
Great question
Be Safe and happy riding

yatman
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,083
I've had to push a couple of bikes a little ways to roll them off down a hill. I can push my KLR or Tiger up a small hill to get this done. I'd hate to do it with a GS though. When I've had a low battery I unplugged the headlight to give it a bit of extra juice to the starter. I wouldn't rank this as one of my bigger worries.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
What's the deal with push starting a fuel injected bike? I heard that when the battery is completely drained, you could be out of luck.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
What's the deal with push starting a fuel injected bike? I heard that when the battery is completely drained, you could be out of luck.
Just takes a hair longer. Ive bumped the vstrom plenty of times, because I tend to forget the key when going into work.

It takes a few more revs, some to get juice going to the fuel pumo, and then enough for spark. Would thate to do it on the flat... not enough room for me to run and jump on the thing with the bags and all (but they could come off).
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I once had to push my GS1100 up hill to get a good run to bump start it. I think I could scare the CRF250L into starting if I farted. EFI or carbed they can all be bumped, EFI just needs more of a run/roll.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
I think proper preventive maintenance is in order here, don't go out into the middle of nowhere if your stuff isn't up to snuff. sure, sometimes a battery will just give up the ghost, but for the most part, they are pretty reliable, when in doubt, put a new one in.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
three years...shot!

Most batterys are shot after three years. I put a date on mine so that I can remember when I purchased the battery. Better buy a new battery once-in-a-while than be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Most batterys are shot after three years. I put a date on mine so that I can remember when I purchased the battery. Better buy a new battery once-in-a-while than be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Good advise,however I still tend to be reliant on my optimate doing it's thing.
It's supposed to flash different sequences if there is something wrong, and I hope that I pick up on the problem if there is one.
One thing if you really are stuck in booniesville and have to push it out to a road or civilization,it's a lot easier to push if you drop the chain off of the rear sprocket, zip ty the chain to the swing arm and you have total free wheel.
A few minuets job to save a bit of grief.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
If you have two bikes, tire to tire on the center stands...
Never heard of this one. I like this kind of party.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote