Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
What about a small solar panel to charge the dead battery?? Won't do any good if the battery won't take a charge but an added benefit is it could be used to charge small electronics like phone while your camping.

Something like this... Solar Charger
Solar would be a cruel joke in this situation. You would need about a 2 foot by 2 foot panel, or more, and a couple of hours of perfect sunlight. Something along the lines of 50 watts.

I put one of those 1 watt units like you show on a shed in the back yard to keep a lawn tractor battery maintained. It would maintain it over the winter, but wouldn't charge it if the battery was dead because I hadn't plugged it in for a while.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Most batterys are shot after three years. I put a date on mine so that I can remember when I purchased the battery. Better buy a new battery once-in-a-while than be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
One bike I ride daily to work. 2004. Original battery.
Another bike in the garage has a battery from 2000 in it.
I don't plan to replace them until they show signs of problems.

I have had almost new batteries fail suddenly on bikes. I don't plan on risking having my old bikes being stranded by a new crappy battery.

BTW, I occasionally plug them into a cheap desulfater charger from Northern Tools, if that matters.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I have had almost new batteries fail suddenly on bikes.
+1 on that one. I purchased a brand new Harley battery at my local dealer back in May and within less than six months one or more of the cells died.

The good news is that I got it replaced free of charge so it was worth spending a few extra $$ in my case.

On another note, do any of you have experience with one of the new light weight lithium batteries? I wonder how they stack up/last and if they're worth the extra $$.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nji View Post
.................. My question is this: What if you're camping in the middle of nowhere (miles to nearest paved road) and can't bump start your motorcycle? Are there portable jump starters out there that are decently sized (small) that can be carried on a road trip?

Thanks!

SPOT!!!!

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
SPOT!!!!

I just bought one of those, despite the bad reviews of their customer service. I figure at the very least it's another tool in the chest to try to avoid what happened in my face plant thread. Hopefully it'll work when I need it. If you go this route, make sure you bring extra batteries.

Also, you might consider carrying an extra battery with you. I have a Lithium Iron battery in my bike, it wouldn't take up a lot of weight or size to carry a second, and they are quick connect/disconnect. Mine has me slightly paranoid, it's a bit hard starting in the cold, but I heard once it warms up from a heavy draw it's fine.

Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 432
To expand on Snarky’s suggestion to carry an Extra battery:

Let's say you have brought along a lithium ion battery tucked away in your packs. How long can I count on good performance from the LI battery without a maintenance charge to it?
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
To expand on Snarky’s suggestion to carry an Extra battery:

Let's say you have brought along a lithium ion battery tucked away in your packs. How long can I count on good performance from the LI battery without a maintenance charge to it?
KJ
months and months
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

I think that a product that needs to be brought to market is a battery pack that uses the Cr123 batteries and is used in an emergency.

I have a 990 and take it way off the beaten path camping along the way. If for some reason I leave my bike switched on and the battery is dead I am truly screwed.

I envision a gadget that looks like a TV remote control, can be loaded with 12 of the CR123's and sells for $100. You plug it in if needed, wait 10 minutes for the juice to flow and then start the bike. One of you smart guys should work on this!

DD
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
that's why R80G/S has a kick starter for a backup
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
What about 2 six volt lantern batteries?

On a side note, I took a month long road trip last December from Fl - NM and all points in between. I put a new battery in the bike and carried the old one with me just in case. Never needed it, but when the temps are in the teens ans you have a FI bike the extra insurance is nice. Also, used a sterno stove under the motor before I started it...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
months and months
Maybe even years and years.

Other then the cost and space it would take, a lithium battery as a spare isn't a bad idea. They hold a charge a very long time. They main issue is they don't like cold weather.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Maybe even years and years.

Other then the cost and space it would take, a lithium battery as a spare isn't a bad idea. They hold a charge a very long time. They main issue is they don't like cold weather.
visit my motorcycle battery testing thread for LOTS of details on LiFePO4 which discharges at typically less than 1% per month.

other issues are mfg are not very truthful on how to properly size LiFePo4 batteries. my recommendation is to use a battery 75% size of original amp hour (actual)

learning starting procedures for LiFePO4 in cold conditions is a requirement. for it is different.

my recommendation is to use AGM unless you are prepared to change your way of starting your bike and it's worth the extra $$$ to save those 10lbs (vs R80G/S agm)
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,069
What about getting a hobby battery and wiring up a pigtail to your main battery? The hobby barriers are really powerful and super light. I have a shorai which weighs 2 # in my cbr and easily starts the bike. I can imagine a jumper pack carefully rolled up to prevent damage would be nice to have. I have battery tender pigtails on all my bikes thats what I would write up or more universal make a jumper cable clamp pigtail to help another rider.

Hobbyking.com has lots of batteries but they require special chargers which I have. They are cheap though, I have an accucell 6 I think it was $25 and charges any battery chemistry

Edit, sorry skimming on my phone looks like others had the same idea.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,375
I think the Battery Tender pigtail idea is a good one.

A large number of bikes have them these days. What if you just carried a cord with the same Battery Tender connector on both ends. Flag down the next bike coming down the trail (or your riding buddy), and use the connector to jump your bike.

When riding solo, you could choose to carry the extra battery with the connector already attached. Pull it out of you pack, and jump start yourself; no need to even remove your seat.

Well, you would probably want to trace the wires back, and make sure you were connecting positive to positive.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I think the Battery Tender pigtail idea is a good one.

A large number of bikes have them these days. What if you just carried a cord with the same Battery Tender connector on both ends. Flag down the next bike coming down the trail (or your riding buddy), and use the connector to jump your bike.

When riding solo, you could choose to carry the extra battery with the connector already attached. Pull it out of you pack, and jump start yourself; no need to even remove your seat.

Well, you would probably want to trace the wires back, and make sure you were connecting positive to positive.
I like this idea although you can only pull so much current through one of the battery tender cables/fuse.