ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #151
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: U-gene, OR.
Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Stuff was made to last back in the 20's regardless who made it.
HD having issues with he TC's is more a statement of our throw away society than ability to engineer and make something to last.

AGAIN this is OLD news. It was something that was noted, acknowledged and addressed in 2006.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #152
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer
 
EetsOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kootenay/Boundary
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Funny you say that. The guys at the local mc parts store made a comment about me always riding my Sportster to pick up parts for my Jap bikes. One guy asked why I never get anything for the Sportster and I simply said "It never seems to need anything." It's honestly been one of the most reliable bikes I have owned.
Huh? Jerry says you can't fix Japanese bikes?
__________________
l never really thought of myself as a freak. But l'd love to freak.
EetsOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #153
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,879
The ignorance in this thread rivals that at a fucking Klan meeting. So what Jiffy Lube do you work at Jerry?
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #154
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 2,011
Jerry's Bike.......



OOOOPS! It's got a chain! It's junk!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #155
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,383
I wish I worked at Jiffy Lube, except for the number of times they were caught ripping people off. I would much rather do oil changes all day than work on vehicle electronics, which I was promoted into a few years ago. Unfortunately doing oil changes does not pay enough. I am 53, and plan to retire at 55. I have the resources to do it because I made some smart (and lucky) financial decisions a long time ago. I plan into getting into working on vintage cars when I retire, something I have been doing on the side for many years.

Go to bikebandit.com, or cheapcycleparts.com, and look for parts for a 30 year old Japanese bike. They almost do not exist. You may find a few fairly common parts. Yes you can make some of them, I have. Now go look for parts for a 30 year old Harley. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit someone selling them.

Harley engines are seriously out of balance. The 315 degree and 405 degree firing intervals are what create this imbalance. That is what makes Harley engines shake so much, and try to tear themselves apart. But it is also the reason why they make such a great sounding noise, and the aforementioned shaking people like so much.

You would be very lucky to get 100,000 miles out of an assembly line built Harley engine, yet Goldwing engines routinely go more than 300,000 miles, are quiet, and smooth as silk. Considering the number of Goldwing owners out there, including me, many people do indeed like this. But not from Harley. The new Goldwing FB6 gives the Goldwing a cruiser (but not Harley) look, while maintaining that smooth quiet engine. It will be interesting to see how it sells.

For the record, I own and ride the following motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds. You will notice there are no Harleys, but I do have immediate plans to add a Sportster to my collection. If I can swing it, I might go for an EVO, preferably a SuperGlide.

1995 Goldwing (I have put 39,000 miles on it since buying it used)
1994 XT225
2002 Vulcan 750 (74,000+ miles, all mine)
2009 Stella 2 stroke
2008 Vino 125 (20,000+ miles, all mine)
1977 Puch MaxiSport II moped
1971 VeloSolex S3800
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (being repaired, engine has to come out) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #156
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer
 
EetsOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kootenay/Boundary
Oddometer: 596
Jerry I thought you were done here?
__________________
l never really thought of myself as a freak. But l'd love to freak.
EetsOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #157
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,054
I'd remind you again that you said you were leaving this thread, but with each new post of yours I become more and more convinced you are here for no other reason than to broadcast to everyone about your alleged madd skillz and accomplishments in life.

Since it's already been proven that you don't know what the hell you are talking about it should go without saying that you aren't impressing anyone.

Go away.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #158
Gerg
Cupcake
 
Gerg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 8,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Harley engines are seriously out of balance. The 315 degree and 405 degree firing intervals are what create this imbalance. That is what makes Harley engines shake so much, and try to tear themselves apart. But it is also the reason why they make such a great sounding noise, and the aforementioned shaking people like so much.
And you're a mechanic? They made you an electricial guy because you were too untrainable as a mechanical mechanic.

In as few words as possible please explain how you can get a 315 degree and a 405 degree firing order on an engine with a comon crank pin and cylinders at 45 degrees apart? With your logic, where the hell is TDC and which jug is the #1 cylinder?

Also, by your logic, a single cylinder can't exist because it'll shake itself apart.

Gerg
__________________
Greg
OFFICIAL WARPED BEER MEISTER

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #159
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,502
everything,even gold wings and Harley's has issues. Every mechanical issue can be fixed, human issues not so much. There are so many Harley fans, so may suppliers, so much stuff, that every issue is only a chance to make it better.

You want one, get it, maintain it, make it better and have fun. You want a GW, then do the same.

Insult another mans ride, not in fun but serious, then don't be surprised if they get pissed and don't play nice.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #160
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
And you're a mechanic? They made you an electricial guy because you were too untrainable as a mechanical mechanic.

In as few words as possible please explain how you can get a 315 degree and a 405 degree firing order on an engine with a comon crank pin and cylinders at 45 degrees apart? With your logic, where the hell is TDC and which jug is the #1 cylinder?

Also, by your logic, a single cylinder can't exist because it'll shake itself apart.

Gerg
He's using crankshaft degrees, not camshaft degrees. Basically, if cylinder # 1 fires, the next cylinder will fire in 315 degrees of crank rotation. After that it is another 405 degrees until cylinder #1 fires again.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #161
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: n.o. la.
Oddometer: 425
so which harley should someone avoid?
__________________
tiger 1050
wrecked'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #162
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
so which harley should someone avoid?
All of the ones Jerry has worked on
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #163
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: U-gene, OR.
Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
so which harley should someone avoid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
All of the ones Jerry has worked on


http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=122
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #164
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer
 
EetsOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Kootenay/Boundary
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
everything,even gold wings and Harley's has issues. Every mechanical issue can be fixed, human issues not so much. There are so many Harley fans, so may suppliers, so much stuff, that every issue is only a chance to make it better.

You want one, get it, maintain it, make it better and have fun. You want a GW, then do the same.

Insult another mans ride, not in fun but serious, then don't be surprised if they get pissed and don't play nice.

Rod
Same with every other machine out there. Of course the pool of Suzuki RE5 fans is much MUCH smaller than the HD crowd BUT they are out there. I wish the myth of "YOu can't rebuild Japanes bikes" would just away, like Jerry.
__________________
l never really thought of myself as a freak. But l'd love to freak.
EetsOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #165
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: n.o. la.
Oddometer: 425
i think i will avoid them all
__________________
tiger 1050
wrecked'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014