Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #61
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

Yeah, the twin cam is hardly on par with a 70's American v8. I used to see a lot of broken down Evo big twins on the road. Hardly ever see a TC on the road with a component failure beyond the rider not checking the oil or something stupid like that.
Yeah, it's more like 1930's aircraft technology, until they added fuel injection to the vtwins anyway
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #62
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
It's applicable to any man that chooses pretty over performance, and/or form over function....

Don't fight it man, embrace it...

You have obviously never seen my bikes.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #63
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,805
If you take a deep unbiased look into the TC88 it is state of the art. Both in manufacturing and design. It's a pushrod engine but built with an eye to output,reliability and longevity.

Sure everyone who hasn't owned one has heard of problems and knows someone who had nuthin' but problems with one. I have several customers with high mileage TC's and no problems. Yeah the chain tensioner issue is real but liveable. It is an expensive repair due to the labor. The fix isn't cheap either.

Harley-Davidson-The most popular motorcycle everyone hates. BTW I'll be riding the Tuono to the shop today.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #64
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Klr > harley
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #65
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Klr > harley

It's too early to be that drunk!!! Put down the Jim Beam before it kills you!!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #66
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
If you take a deep unbiased look into the TC88 it is state of the art. Both in manufacturing and design. It's a pushrod engine but built with an eye to output,reliability and longevity.

Sure everyone who hasn't owned one has heard of problems and knows someone who had nuthin' but problems with one. I have several customers with high mileage TC's and no problems. Yeah the chain tensioner issue is real but liveable. It is an expensive repair due to the labor. The fix isn't cheap either.

Harley-Davidson-The most popular motorcycle everyone hates. BTW I'll be riding the Tuono to the shop today.
Too bad Moto Guzzi, Yamaha and BMW make better, more reliable, more high perforamnce push rod a/c motors. (Vincent too and they stopped making them almost 60 years ago.)
The specs are available any place on line if you wish to compare.

If the HD was as high tech as you calim, they'd never of had the problem with they do, the low out put (what, 60-odd hp from stock?) and the over heating issues.

If you really want a high tech, narrow angle a/c American made V twin, S&S X Wedge.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #67
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Too bad Moto Guzzi, Yamaha and BMW make better, more reliable, more high perforamnce push rod a/c motors. (Vincent too and they stopped making them almost 60 years ago.)
The specs are available any place on line if you wish to compare.

If the HD was as high tech as you calim, they'd never of had the problem with they do, the low out put (what, 60-odd hp from stock?) and the over heating issues.

If you really want a high tech, narrow angle a/c American made V twin, S&S X Wedge.
Yeah, that´s a high volume seller, sofisticated engine. 130 hp from 2100cc, I got 87 from my `86 1250 Sporty
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #68
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseXL View Post
Yeah, that´s a high volume seller, sofisticated engine. 130 hp from 2100cc, I got 87 from my `86 1250 Sporty
In stock form or did you modify it? How much did it cost you?
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100 EFI:
HP:90 hp 65.7 KW @ 7800 rpm (81.9 hp @ 6900 rpm)
Torque:95 Nm 9.4 kg-m @ 5800 rpm

That's right off the show room floor too.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #69
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
In stock form or did you modify it? How much did it cost you?
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100 EFI:
HP:90 hp 65.7 KW @ 7800 rpm (81.9 hp @ 6900 rpm)
Torque:95 Nm 9.4 kg-m @ 5800 rpm

That's right off the show room floor too.
Hammer 1250 kit, $700, cams $300, then some bigger valves and mild porting and "the tax" of course and those 87 are on the wheel.
At sub 450lbs I sure give any boxer a run for theyr money.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #70
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hammer 1250 kit, $700, cams $300, then some bigger valves and mild porting and "the tax" of course and those 87 are on the wheel.
At sub 450lbs I sure give any boxer a run for theyr money.
Until you hit a corner.
Years ago I looked into building up a Sporty. Once the engine would've been done, I still had stock brakes and suspension. The bill too (I do most of my own work also) would've been well over what tube frame Buell would've cost. So I looked those, then I looked at Triumphs and went with a Triumph as it was roughly the same cost wise, but out performed the tube frame Buell.
I'd still like to build a hot rod Sporty someday but I have other things I need to do, and really, it is not a top priority. Now if an XR1000 or an XR750 came my way for cheap.....
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #71
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Until you hit a corner.
Years ago I looked into building up a Sporty. Once the engine would've been done, I still had stock brakes and suspension. The bill too (I do most of my own work also) would've been well over what tube frame Buell would've cost. So I looked those, then I looked at Triumphs and went with a Triumph as it was roughly the same cost wise, but out performed the tube frame Buell.
I'd still like to build a hot rod Sporty someday but I have other things I need to do, and really, it is not a top priority. Now if an XR1000 or an XR750 came my way for cheap.....
Dude, ít´s all corners in Norway, I hang with them all, even my boss on his R1200GS and he was a national champion MXer yrs ago.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #72
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Dude, ít´s all corners in Norway, I hang with them all, even my boss on his R1200GS and he was a national champion MXer yrs ago.
Sport rubber (17 inchers) on sporty suspensions is going to out corner a stock Sportster. I've ridden many MANY Norton Commandos that corner very well too but they still won't compete with 17 inch rubber and modern suspension and frames. The GS is NOT a good comparison. When you can hang with even a Triumph Sprint RS, let me know.
it is not a slam against you or your bike eithr. Just pointing out a mix of 19 inch and 16 inche tires with 1950's suspension becasue that is what it is, just like new Triumph Bonnie's) is going to be outclassed by modern stuff.

BTW I live in BC, it's all mountain passes and corners for me too. ;)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #73
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sport rubber (17 inchers) on sporty suspensions is going to out corner a stock Sportster. I've ridden many MANY Norton Commandos that corner very well too but they still won't compete with 17 inch rubber and modern suspension and frames. The GS is NOT a good comparison. When you can hang with even a Triumph Sprint RS, let me know.
it is not a slam against you or your bike eithr. Just pointing out a mix of 19 inch and 16 inche tires with 1950's suspension becasue that is what it is, just like new Triumph Bonnie's) is going to be outclassed by modern stuff.

BTW I live in BC, it's all mountain passes and corners for me too. ;)
Not gong to argue with you, I mostly ride alone and mind my own business, just one thing, sport bike suspension is great on smooth surfaces, frost ruined, pot holed roads are a different story.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #74
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Not gong to argue with you, I mostly ride alone and mind my own business, just one thing, sport bike suspension is great on smooth surfaces, frost ruined, pot holed roads are a different story.
Well that is where adjustable suspension comes in. Some of our mountain passes get pretty beat up over the winter and usually only get repaved if it is an election year.

One stretch of road near me is infamous for claiming sport bikes, Highway 6 through the Monashee Pass, and the worst part is Angel Falls. I think it was 2003? every Honda CBR600RR that the local shop sold was thrown down in that spot of road.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #75
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well that is where adjustable suspension comes in. Some of our mountain passes get pretty beat up over the winter and usually only get repaved if it is an election year.

One stretch of road near me is infamous for claiming sport bikes, Highway 6 through the Monashee Pass, and the worst part is Angel Falls. I think it was 2003? every Honda CBR600RR that the local shop sold was thrown down in that spot of road.

Don´t think a sport bike is at home here