ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #1
bimbim86 OP
Some Guy
 
bimbim86's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 54
800 Adventure Panniers/Systems

I have been doing a pretty extensive search through the interwebz trying to find something that will fit the 800 Adventure. i know of the BMW boxes Tour A Tech and the Happy Trails pannier systems. is there anything else out there? Anyone on here know of anyone who has fabricated mounts to allow other boxes to fit on the OEM Racks? Just trying to find out what my options are. I have emailed quite a few companies i.e. Holan, Caribou, Brooks, etc, all come up with nothing. Just have a hard time believing that there is not something else out there for us to choose from.

I also got a quote from Hepco and Becker they have a system with the Gobi's w/racks shipped to US for around 680 that seems pretty legit from the sounds of it. Anyone running their system?


I know this has been discussed in the past, last thread I found was from late 2014 and it just sort of died out with no real answer, also was not able to find much using the search engine.

Thanks

Josh

bimbim86 screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 05:56 AM
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
IckyBob
Yes please
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 725
Josh,

I just sold my sw motech racks and Trax hard boxes and used the money to purchase Giant Loop Great Basin which came yesterday. I have fitted it to the bike although it was hastily packed with random things just to make it form. It's a 60l bag and the build quality appears to be extremely high.

I got rid of hard boxes and went to soft luggage because I off road a lot and my riding and touring I have taken the less is more approach. I found with the hard boxes the bike felt too wide and I packed too much. After a while it stops feeling like a bike and more like a car.

To each's own this is just the route I went.

The sw motech trax boxes however were very good and solidly mounted. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Hope this helps.
IckyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
bimbim86 OP
Some Guy
 
bimbim86's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyBob View Post
Josh,

I just sold my sw motech racks and Trax hard boxes and used the money to purchase Giant Loop Great Basin which came yesterday. I have fitted it to the bike although it was hastily packed with random things just to make it form. It's a 60l bag and the build quality appears to be extremely high.

I got rid of hard boxes and went to soft luggage because I off road a lot and my riding and touring I have taken the less is more approach. I found with the hard boxes the bike felt too wide and I packed too much. After a while it stops feeling like a bike and more like a car.

To each's own this is just the route I went.

The sw motech trax boxes however were very good and solidly mounted. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I currently run a wolf man soft luggage saddle bag and although I enjoy them, and they def work well. I will need more space for some of my upcoming trips. I have looked at that great basin and am very intrigued by it but have concerns. The main being able to load more bags and gear along with the great basin. The great basin sits atop the back part of your seat. This space would already be taken up by my dry bag, sleeping bag, tent. So to add an additional bag there would seem to be a little to much in that one area. Thoughts?
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustKip's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbim86 View Post
I have been doing a pretty extensive search through the interwebz trying to find something that will fit the 800 Adventure. i know of the BMW boxes Tour A Tech and the Happy Trails pannier systems. is there anything else out there? Anyone on here know of anyone who has fabricated mounts to allow other boxes to fit on the OEM Racks? Just trying to find out what my options are. I have emailed quite a few companies i.e. Holan, Caribou, Brooks, etc, all come up with nothing. Just have a hard time believing that there is not something else out there for us to choose from.

I also got a quote from Hepco and Becker they have a system with the Gobi's w/racks shipped to US for around 680 that seems pretty legit from the sounds of it. Anyone running their system?


I know this has been discussed in the past, last thread I found was from late 2014 and it just sort of died out with no real answer, also was not able to find much using the search engine.

Thanks

Josh
And there's the problem right there. My understanding is that the OEM luggage racks on the F8GSA are designed to support the rear subframe and bigger fuel tank. I don't know IF you can install aftermarket racks around the bigger GSA tank, or they just fit the narrower GS.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
HRiver
n00b
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Hood River, OR
Oddometer: 1
Throwing this out as an option for you as these guys are about to release (at least this is my understanding) an adapter for the GSA that allows you to attach their soft bags.

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/
HRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
Captain Excellent
+ll+
 
Captain Excellent's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRiver View Post
Throwing this out as an option for you as these guys are about to release (at least this is my understanding) an adapter for the GSA that allows you to attach their soft bags.

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/

+1 on Mosko Moto. There are also options in their offering that don't require adapters, but max out at 80L.
The soft bag Backcountry Pannier kit (requires soon to be released adapters) is 70L, then ad a 40L duffle and you can quickly over do it.
Moskomoto.com
__________________
!
Captain Excellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
bimbim86 OP
Some Guy
 
bimbim86's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
+1 on Mosko Moto. There are also options in their offering that don't require adapters, but max out at 80L.
The soft bag Backcountry Pannier kit (requires soon to be released adapters) is 70L, then ad a 40L duffle and you can quickly over do it.
Moskomoto.com
I have a 40L duffle bag at the moment and the saddle bags I have give me an additional 50L.

I sent the guys at Mosko a email in regards to their pannier systems and the 800GSA adapter. If I could go the route of their 35L bags I will probably do that. TBH I am more of a fan of the soft luggage than the hard cases just from a safety standpoint alone
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
psd96
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: The dead space prior to retirement
Oddometer: 30
My cheap top case is a Pelican case. Mounted with rubber bushings and wingnuts on the inside for easy removal.
Attached Images
 
psd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
bimbim86 OP
Some Guy
 
bimbim86's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 54
Well looks like I will be going with the Happy Trails Teton system. Got a screaming deal on a set. Should have them next week.
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015