Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
What a tragic loss, and on top of your dear wife's other personal loss! Very sorry to hear and the best to you both in mending up from your injuries.

Still, others have not been so fortunate as to even survive such an accident so despite appearances, Somebody seems to have been watching over you. Having survived, the future is still bright and hoping the best of it for you both.
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
On striking the rail the bike tried to keep going which tore the sidecar off. Because of this i was thrown over the handlebars and the sidecar rolled, throwing my wife out. She cut her leg on impact on the dashboard in the sidecar.
This is the rear rail folded forward from the bike travelling on.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...pse662f1ae.jpg

This was the front subframe. It found the weakest point, probably for the best. If it had all stayed connected the result may have been a lot worse.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps48ae5669.jpg

With a lot of what ifs and other thoughts could the construction have been better? We think not. The type of tube and fittings, the welding and parts used had performed perfectly. I wore out two sets of tyres on the ride due to agressive riding on the twisting roads of Tasmania. One section has 99 bends in a mile. I had ridden this unit at the track before leaving and there were no issues with scraping or handling at all.
I have to put the accident down to mainly overloading the sidecar and some fault with the road layout.
What have i learnt? The next sidecar will have an adjustable mount for the shockie so the ride height can be adjusted according to the load. And maybe i should start riding like its a cruiser with a sidecar, not a sports bike. But where would the fun be in that.
Hiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Just ran through your pics. Nice tube bender! Nice shop! Looks like sch 40 black pipe and fittings?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Wow, just wow!

The precise and exact Physics of what happened second by second will forever be a mystery for sure. Impossible to know how weight distribution, exact speed, balance, body position of riders, tire pressures, shock settings, precise part of rail crossing that was struck, by what and when, and all the other variables resulted in this truly miserable outcome, but thank God you kids are ALIVE TO TALK ABOUT IT!

Unfortunately our best lessons come from various misadventures and/or mistakes [that I'm so very willing to make] so the next build may somehow look forward to preventing mishaps. Still, hard to tell if it was any fault of the outfit, setup or whatever that directly caused this, which is in many ways doubtful.

A rail crossing where this was even possible to happen at any reasonable speed is poorly designed, poorly marked and poorly maintained. I noticed in the article how quick the authorities were to defend the innocence of anybody but you guys! Me, I'm far from convinced!

On some local routes here, that I have no choice but to travel, there are a few rail crossings on main thoroughfares that are absolutely inexcusable for condition. At 8-10 mph they about send me through the roof of my truck yet there's no indication they're so teacherous! They have compound dips and rises that just don't work together and never could. Simply a piss poor design with lousy workmanship on the part of the highway guys and the railroad guys who are NOT on the same page! On other properly designed and maintained tracks, driving in the same truck, I can cross at 50 mph with hardly a bump. So it can be done, or it can be screwed up. In your case I strongly suspect the latter...

XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Wow .Good to hear you and the wife survived that and are on the mend .
It could have turned out a lot worse by the looks of the photos .
Looking forward to seeing your new build

The bloke looking at the trailer in your photo . Does he ride a sidecar ?

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Hi Ian,
The other bloke is my mate who did the build with me. He rides an FJR1300 and that is the single wheel trailer we built for the trip for him.
We are planning a side car for the FJR and will start on that later this year. The one we did for my XJR worked well and we should have no great dramas adapting a similar design for his bike.
That will be a leaner as well so another build thread.
Cheers
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #22
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Eek .

I heard of the accident a while ago and saw some photo's. The damage to the rig was one thing but what really made me cring was hearing of the nasty injuries your wife sustained. definatly not good when the wife is hurt. So feeling for you both and hope the surgeon was able to screw the wife back together successfully. (I munted my left wrist not long ago as my surgeon said)
Cheers Bruce.
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
Willi-Jens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho View Post
On striking the rail the bike tried to keep going which tore the sidecar off. Because of this i was thrown over the handlebars and the sidecar rolled, throwing my wife out. She cut her leg on impact on the dashboard in the sidecar.
This is the rear rail folded forward from the bike travelling on.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...pse662f1ae.jpg

This was the front subframe. It found the weakest point, probably for the best. If it had all stayed connected the result may have been a lot worse.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps48ae5669.jpg

With a lot of what ifs and other thoughts could the construction have been better? We think not. The type of tube and fittings, the welding and parts used had performed perfectly. I wore out two sets of tyres on the ride due to agressive riding on the twisting roads of Tasmania. One section has 99 bends in a mile. I had ridden this unit at the track before leaving and there were no issues with scraping or handling at all.
I have to put the accident down to mainly overloading the sidecar and some fault with the road layout.
What have i learnt? The next sidecar will have an adjustable mount for the shockie so the ride height can be adjusted according to the load. And maybe i should start riding like its a cruiser with a sidecar, not a sports bike. But where would the fun be in that.
Hi Brian,

just saw this and we are glad that the whole thing turned out reasonably well. Looking at the photos it appears it could have been a whole lot worse.
All the best to you and your wife. Hope for a speedy and full revcovery!

Looking at the design I would say it appears rather well thought out.

Looking forward to your new build.

Just one thing you might want to consider for the new build: How about welding a 45 piece from the front leg underneath chair body to the outer swingarm bearing mounting (instead of the straight pipe with the bend, you shouldn't need the strenght of the bend in that outer part). Such would prevent a possible re-occurance of what happened. Wouldn't it?

How much ground clearance did you designed for last time? The XJR leaner looks very low compared to the leaner sidecars I know. These usually have about 10 - 15cm depending on the towing bikes.

Kind regards & speedy, full recovery

Jens
Willi-Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Wink

Hi Jens,
Thanks for your comments.
We have altered the design of the new chassis so we should not have the same problem again.
We have found that one characteristic of the leaner is that on a hard right hand corner,(left for you northies) the front of the chassis drops considerably. As you can see by the photo of the XJR1300. I had an extra strong spring made up for that chassis and it still ran low.
The Roadliner chassis was set at 130mm unladen and runs a progressive shockie for a Suzuki Boulevard. The ride was so comfortable that my wife could sleep in it and it caused no discomfort at all. Until the accident.
With a load on the sidecar the ride height was probably about 75mm when the wife and luggage were on board. Perhaps the spring rate was too soft, but i think it was more the fact we overloaded the whole thing.
For the next chassis we will probably look at a loaded height of 130mm or have two fixing points for the shockie allowing for passenger/passenger and load. Maybe with some sort of stop overload.
Drawings for the new body are complete and i will build this before constructing the chassis. Look out for it in the next few months.
Cheers
Brian
Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #25
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Talking Bumper

Perhaps rather than having the frame ending at the front as a blunt edge that is capable of digging in you could carry it forward to curve up into a nudge/ spotlight bar? It would then tend to slid over potential nasties like a sled?
Then the wife would merely bounce up and land in your lap leading to a happier ending???
Maybe the last was a bit fanciful
Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #26
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Sounds like a plan.
That is along the way we are thinking and a reason I want the body built so I can mould the chassis to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #27
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho View Post
Sounds like a plan.
That is along the way we are thinking and a reason I want the body built so I can mould the chassis to it.

Hiho looks like you are based in the beautiful west, where abouts ?? in town or out a bit??
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #28
Hiho OP
Adventurer

Hi bully, live in bassendean mate. Ride anywhere. :)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
My PD is in Bassendean ( at Vinces ) at the moment getting a bit of a resto on it.

I live SOR in Huntingdale. Going to put my chair onto a GSX14, little horsepower improve over the PD.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote