Ride On 13 13.27%
Dynabeads 40 40.82%
Static Balancer 45 45.92%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
CRASHDADDY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I run RideOn in my tube type dirt bike tires, works great. Static balance w/lead weights on my tubeless street bike wheels. IF i was changing a tubeless tire for somone and a bunch of RideOn squirted down my leg they would be served a knuckle sammich
CRASHDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Any thoughts on tires losing balance during sudden acceleration or deceleration while using dynabeads. Always been something I've been curious about, as a sudden change in speed would move where the beads are inside the tire
After using Dyna beads for several years I find that they make me crash every time I decelerate or stop...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
After using Dyna beads for several years I find that they make me crash every time I decelerate or stop...
Maybe you should try stop slowing down at the apex

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,061
I've been kicking myself for ordering the $30 beads before trying something as simple as a few oz of sand. Couldn't hurt it and I have a clear view of my front axel throbbing fore and aft at +80 MPH. I tried dropping BBs in the stem but they don't quite fit thru the seal. Maybe I'll run over to the beach at the lake tomorrow for "supplies" and give it a try.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Sand is not ceramic thus will turn into dust in the tire.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Let me know how that goes. I was considering trying to use some metal bb's to see how that works, but I'm not exactly sure if they would heat up too much in the tire.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
I would be very concerned about metal BBs (.177 size) causing damage to the inside of the wheel and/or tire.

Airsoft BBs are supposed to work pretty well.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Would they fit through the valve stem, and wouldn't they melt from the heat of the inside of the tire?
Anyone run into any problems with airsoft bb's

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Sand is not ceramic thus will turn into dust in the tire.

And with enough dust, it would also balance the tire, no? I'm not seeing why any media wouldn't do the same thing. You don't want rust or clumping or ice so a water mix is out. No lubricants so the tire slips or degrades the rubber. Both of those rule out antifreeze, maybe the non glycol stuff is OK?

Sand is harmless as far as I can guess. It is abrasive but so are the beads. How would it matter if the sand grains got smaller, assuming they even could. They would only be rubbing against rubber and themselves. I'd think they would cause less rubber damage than heavier ceramis beads.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Well, every time you start and stop rolling, the dynabeads move. So they are never in the same place.

But you must remember they have been imbued with magical powers before they are sold to you. So by the ancient ways, they find the light spot in the tire and congregate there immediately to provide perfect dynamic balancing at all times.

I have been using them for quite some time and then forgot to put them in my front tire the last time I changed them. I still had a glass smooth ride. This had me doubting whether I was buying snake oil or not. Although I'm still not 100% convinced, take a look at this video, it at least lends credence to what they're saying.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

My brand new bike with unbalanced tires feels great, or I think it does, till over 75 MPH where it throbs thru the top clamp. I have a feeling that tiny vibrations have crept in at every speed cause I now feel tingles that just weren't there before I put on the new tires and pulled the weights off as they were way out then. If not for the throb, I doubt I'd have noticed the vibes. I've done alot of tires on alot of bikes from ZZR1200s to Ninja 500 to 950 KTMs and supermoto race bikes. Never balanced any and never noticed what i'm getting now.

I should have the dyna beads in a few days and will know for sure as that thrumming at least is clear as a bell.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #27
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

FWIW, the tiny round ceramic beads are not abrasive-they just roll around in there & leave no sign on the paint inside the rim.
For discussion, lets agree that it's possible to mount a tire properly that is in balance based on good construction & having positioned it in the optimum position on the rim,etc.. So when you start to use that tire it is in perfect balance lets say. It's a fact that tires don't wear evenly. How do you propose to maintain balance over the life of that tire w/o adding weights? The beads do that for you from the get/go. What could be easier?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Any abrasiveness would show on the tire by my estimation due to the forces pushing the media out to that surface. Would a few oz of sand wear on the wheel? Would it be enough to matter? It might make some light contact when stopping. I've read some users get black dust from the rubber wearing due to beads. Haven't read of any wheel wear or paint damage, which I'd think a ceramic ball could cause if it can even hit the rim.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Would they fit through the valve stem, and wouldn't they melt from the heat of the inside of the tire?
Anyone run into any problems with airsoft bb's

I don't think you can install them through the valve stem. They are 3 or 4mm in diamter IIRC. At least one bead of the tire will need to be broken from the rim so you can dump them in.

Nobody has had problems with them melting.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I might be giving that a shot on my next tire install. I think I'm gonna put some Ride On in them for now, since I dont want to break the bead of the tire.

Have used Ride On on my old Shadow. Not sure if it worked or not, because the tire was already balanced before I put it on, but damn, it sealed some punctures

2006 Yamaha FZ6