Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
lhendrik OP
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
Garmin Support Accolades

Just wanted to report on a great experience with Garmin Support..

I sent an email to support because my Zumo 660 motorcycle mount broke on recent trip. The little plastic tab/button at the top that releases the 660 from the mount snapped off. I don't know if it is because it is a small piece of plastic or because the Touratech Mount security screw presses on it, or if someone was trying to get at it (unlikely since it is hidden by a metal plate), but it snapped off, making it very hard to get my Zumo off.

I opened up the mount (7 little screws on back) and found the broken part and tried to crazy glue it back together, managed to loose one of the tiny return springs in the process, and gave up frustrated. So I wrote to Garmin asking them for the small plastic part....

Garmin responded later the same night with the following:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be glad to assist you .
We do not have the specific part available to order.
I have setup onetime courtesy order to replace your mount. You will be receiving replacement mount within 7-10 business days. It will be sent to the address you listed"

I'd say that was great support. The product costs about $55 new.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
When I called Garmin to get a replacement bezel for the one that got lost when my 660 hit the pavement at 50 mph (amazingly, the 660 still works fine!), they said I needed to send it for repair which is a set $160 rate...for a piece of plastic! No thank you! They should have given me the bezel free in exchange for a great testimonial about how well the 660 survived a traumatic crash.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
lhendrik OP
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
Yeah. Well, as I see it now, Garmin do not stock the component parts of their products in a way that they can be accessed by Product Support, that is they do not warehouse the little bits and pieces. Those are probably only available at their manufacturing site (speculation). I say that because they are sending me an entire mount when all that I needed was a small plastic component. Since there are lots of little parts involved in their product line this is wasteful, but understandable to me. In the case of a broken bezel, they should have had you send in your unit, and sent out a refurbished unit at no or little cost to you. The $160 charge should be reserved for a non-functional unit, as I have been offered several times now.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Thumb Great People

The actual people who work in Garmin support have always been great to me .... once you get to one. I have never called (been a couple of years now, might be better) and spent less than 20 minutes on hold waiting for one. Email can be just as challenging, I couldn't count how many attempts it took to just get an email to them when I needed a new back cover on my 60CSx ('button' broke loose, no way to mount), I wasn't smart enough (not their fault) to type my message in 'word' and paste it, every time I typed it and hit 'submit' everything would disappear through some glitch in their system. After 15 or so tries, some of the words I used were not really fit for print so of course that was the time it actually worked. I was rather embarrassed by that, they took it in stride but shouldn't have had to. I have been over a year emailing back and forth with them about getting a boat GPS to function, the time factor is not their fault as the boat is 1500 miles away from me for most of the year and when I am near it, I don't have great internet or phone access. On the other hand, they wanted to get me to try a number of 'resets' and software updates, I had explained that when it powers up it runs a few minutes then 'locks' and it takes a few weeks of sitting unpowered for whatever has locked it to 'bleed off' so that I can try something over or new. Made for a couple of frustrating winters. Finally, just got authorization to call for a 'Return Authorization' to get it repaired but I am dreading sitting on hold to get the number so that I can ship it back (again).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Are they going to charge you the $160 flat rate?
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Who? Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Are they going to charge you the $160 flat rate?

If you meant me, the flat rate for my unit is $240. Having already returned it once and seeing as we've been trying to fix it for quite a while, they offered to reduce the flat rate to $120. Thanks for the reminder, they should be up out there in Kansas now, I should probably try calling!

Bruce

Edit: I did just call Garmin Service, there was absolutely NO waiting on hold. This is a huge improvement from my previous efforts (admittedly a few years ago) where I never knew if I would actually get to talk to a Service Representative before the battery gave out in my cell phone. As always, the person I spoke with was extremely helpful and pleasant, even asked a couple of times if there was anything else that he could help with. He might have been sorry he asked as I also have a 10 year old marine unit in need of help, but there was no evidence of it and he gave me advice about what to do/where to look for updated software for that unit. I have never had a bad experience with Garmin's Cutomer Service people, all have been great to talk to and very helpful..... now, if I just did not NEED to ever call.......
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 12:03 PM
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 84
Email Support +1 Nuvi 500

I had a question about managing My Data files in my Nuvi 500. I had used MapSource to transfer routes to my Nuvi 500 that I had laid out previously for my GPSMAPS 76cx into my Nuvi 500. I couldn't figure out how to delete the files once I used them for Custom Routes. I emailed customer service with the problem and within 30 minutes I had a solution that deleted the files.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote