ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Iocaine OP
ProLurker

Oddometer: 35
Israeli skid plate for KTM 950/990?

First off I am not trying to start a which is the "best skid plate ever built" thread.. I think that has been easily taken care here of many moons ago...

FLEEbay is showing a newish KTM 9x0 skid plate made in Israel. Does anybody know anything about it? It looks decent but a bit different than all the rest. Oh.. It super cheap too. They have sold 4 so far... but has anybody stateside/on this forum pulled the trigger on one? I know this could also be a to good to be true listing as well.
I figured I would ask the forum. ALL the rest of my questions seem to be answered just lurking around here!

Cheers
Iocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocaine View Post
First off I am not trying to start a which is the "best skid plate ever built" thread.. I think that has been easily taken care here of many moons ago...

FLEEbay is showing a newish KTM 9x0 skid plate made in Israel. Does anybody know anything about it? It looks decent but a bit different than all the rest. Oh.. It super cheap too. They have sold 4 so far... but has anybody stateside/on this forum pulled the trigger on one? I know this could also be a to good to be true listing as well.
I figured I would ask the forum. ALL the rest of my questions seem to be answered just lurking around here!

Cheers
Seen it, but i believe you cannot have the centerstand installed. Or was another seller from same place

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,937
Got a link?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Iocaine OP
ProLurker

Not sure if the rules allow this.. but here goes..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-990-Adve...#ht_1417wt_924

Yeah Gustavo, thats the one.. I read through some of the feedbacks a few weeks ago and one stated "no center stand interferance noted."

Just found a nonfleabayed site with more pics.
http://www.tiranoltd.com/ktm-advetur...kid-plate.html
its lookin to be a interesting choice.. and I like interesting!

Iocaine screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 11:03 AM
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
4mm think the best/strongest around have 5mm maybe a little more in some strange imperial illogical measurement.

And states clearly it wont work with centerstand still in pictures there is a centerstand mounted ...sure it nice to find for service with skid plate removed but could I not used it at all times it would not be mounted on the bike for everyday use and put in place if needed for a service.

Sure its cheap compared to some options and its for sure sturdier then the cast aluminum wind protector that comes stock on the bikes but I would go with the best there is if bike is going to be used hard and there might be some heavy hits with a 250kg bike + rider.

...still using my Touratech that should be replaced have had to straighten it out but have not researched what is the strongest out there?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post

...still using my Touratech that should be replaced have had to straighten it out but have not researched what is the strongest out there?
Most seem to think the Weld86 is the strongest. On a previous 950 I had a BlackDog and that was very stout. On the new bike I'm leaning toward Slavens.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
That's all very well, but...

...is it stronger than the Weld 86/CJ Designs option?

And having to remove my center stand?
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
4mm aluminum plate is probably okay for gravel and fire roads, but if you plan to venture into rock gardens, I recommend supporting US based Weld86 with his 1/4" plate. I put some pretty good gouges in mine while in CO in August that I'm not sure 4mm would have survived.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

My objection to the Weld86 design is I understand the plate no longer swings down fully on the rear bolts, and that all four need to be removed for access. I actually quite like that feature of the original plate. The probability of me putting a hole in the 5mm plate of the BDCW or Slavins, and the object still having enough force and reach after punching a hole to get to and damage to engine is absurdly low. As for this other plate--no centerstand is a deal killer.

EDIT: and yeah, the Weld86 is 6.35mm. When is this country going to move off the imperial lack-of-system? The U.S. and Burma. Seriously.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
Iocaine OP
ProLurker

So looking at the feedback for the Isreali skid I've found a few 9x0 fitments that state in the line that it fits with the centerstand. Plus the photos obviously show the center stand in place.

Like I said I get that Weld86/CJ and BDC and Slaven all make superior products. I'm just looking for something that looks a bit different. My riding style is solo fire roads and commuting and general hooliganism. I just want to upgrade my stocker cause its starting to crack.

PS. I dream in metric.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
My objection to the Weld86 design is I understand the plate no longer swings down fully on the rear bolts, and that all four need to be removed for access. I actually quite like that feature of the original plate. The probability of me putting a hole in the 5mm plate of the BDCW or Slavins, and the object still having enough force and reach after punching a hole to get to and damage to engine is absurdly low. As for this other plate--no centerstand is a deal killer.

EDIT: and yeah, the Weld86 is 6.35mm. When is this country going to move off the imperial lack-of-system? The U.S. and Burma. Seriously.

Swing down fully for what? If you're going to change the oil, you need to take it off; if you need to play with the battery, etc., it's enough.
BTW, I think Burma has moved to the metric system; they're called Myanmar now;-)
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
Swing down fully for what? If you're going to change the oil, you need to take it off; if you need to play with the battery, etc., it's enough.
BTW, I think Burma has moved to the metric system; they're called Myanmar now;-)
I drop the front, and the skid plate cradles the oil pan perfectly--no need to remove the rear.

Metric(according to Wikipedia):

Apparently Liberia is still stuck in the 19 century as well.

(And apologies to the Myanmarians)

abruzzi screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 10:46 PM
abruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Let me add that I'm sure that the Weld86 is an awesome plate. For me it's just convince vs protection. I'll trade 1.35mm for a touch of convenience. I doubt the weight is relevant between the options.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
DerWeg
MacQyver

Oddometer: 11
BlackDog Cycle Works Skid Plate - enough said.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...70-detail.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
DerWeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #15
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
All of them are way-way overpriced IMO.