ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Eh? Loose Clutch Basket?

I have my bike apart replacing the water pump shaft, seal, bearings, impeller, etc... While checking things out it seems the clutch basket (with the clutch fully assembled) is loose! What am I looking at here? While riding it I haven't had any indication that there's a problem.

It looks like it is a steel banded clutch basket, so maybe that should get replaced anyway, along with the needle bearings.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
What do you mean by "loose" ?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

It's hard to explain, that's why I just said "loose". It's not like there is a lot of play in the gears. And it's not that it moves in/out on the shaft. It's as if the gear on the back that should be parallel with the face of the engine case can be moved out of parallel. So moving it so that it rotates up/down or left/right I see movement between the gear on the back of the basket and other gears in the case.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

How about a video?

I took the clutch all apart and checked things out. Everything looks REALLY good. For 34,645 miles it's amazing! When I put everything back together again, the play is still there.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
How about a video?

I took the clutch all apart and checked things out. Everything looks REALLY good. For 34,645 miles it's amazing! When I put everything back together again, the play is still there.
Aahh.

Ive seen that before on a 990.
Aurel's, in fact.
His clutch was playing up at the time. Really grabby - from standstill, it made anyone look like a learner rider.
I seem to remember his dealer replaced the whole basket (under warranty) - but I dont know the details. You can maybe try PM him - hes on the road (Botswana, last I saw... )
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I'll try PMing him then. I wouldn't have known anything was wrong from riding the bike. It hasn't been doing anything strange. The only significant wear I did find in the clutch system was with the ramps on the booster system. That's pretty normal though as far as I can tell from searching. And that doesn't have much (or anything) to do with the basket being loose like that.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
completely normal to have some movement there. This looks like a bit much but i wont worry about it yet.

There's a long roller bearing in between, that could be worn or out of spec for mounting. I dont recall any thing written in the shop manual for clearances there.

Did you try with the springs in place? should be a lot less then.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

In that video the clutch is assembled and hasn't been disassembled yet, so the springs are all in place there. It doesn't look like there is much wear anywhere in there (shaft/bearing/basket). The bearing has the most of those. I was thinking of replacing the bearing and seeing if that helps.

I didn't take pictures of the bearing areas on the shaft or basket, but here's the bearing itself:

The marks from the plates on the basket are just deep enough to feel.

Same with the hub.

Yardstick screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 07:53 AM
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

kindof looks like the rollers got hot. You could be shocked what a bearing like that costs.. but dont know about this one and if it's a standard item from skf or so. It's just very difficult to tell from a video or picture that something is wrong or not.
A slight bit of axial play will cause quite a bit of tilt on this basket. and there will alway's be axial play. perhaps some a bit more then others. what i'd like to know is if the shaft and inner race on the outer clutch have heat or scoring marks on them. Is there any evidence of this getting (to) hot?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,322
Yard,
Was the large clutch basket retaining nut loose/near loose when you unscrewed it? That has happened before.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

The bearing isn't cheap, but none of what's in there is cheap.

The basket and shaft surface that the bearing rides on look pretty good to me. There is some slight discoloration in the finish, but not too bad as far as I can tell. There's no depth to the markings that I can find with a caliper.

Basket:

Shaft:

The nut wasn't loose. I also took everything apart, cleaned it all and put it all back together (used an impact to torque the nut since I don't have the KTM tool). The play was still there.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Interesting, after doing the Riggins Id. rally and some seriously nasty single track riding I noticed my clutch is a bit "grabby" now once in a while. Was thinking I just over abused the plates but now I'm wondering if I have this problem.
I've got around 20K on mine I think.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #13
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

we are not even sure this is a problem and you suddenly feel like you may have ´this problem´ Are you good at poker to?

Sounds like your just due for an oil service.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I kind of agree. It's not too hard to get in the motor that far to check to see if you have A problem though. I'd probably try an oil change and clean the clutch jet first if mine was grabby. With the play and wear I have, my clutch felt about the same as the one in my Super Enduro. That bike only has about 3,000 miles on it.

Yardstick screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 08:24 AM
Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I ran into the same thing. My clutch makes a little noise , but once I pull in the clutch it goes away. When I was doing a 32k service , I replaced the waterpump , cam chains etc. I also replaced the bearing. Torqued it and same, no change wasted money. Did not have a grabby clutch though.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote