ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,883
Veterans Day

Was a big hesitant to post this. But, here goes.

Go shake a veterans hand and say thanks. It means more than you will know. ]

WW2 and Korea (the forgotten war) vets are getting quite old. Vietnam (the ignored war) vets are now senior citizens. The middle east vets are still young, but still need to hear a well done.

My war, Vietnam, was a helicopter war. It is the one sound that stirs all VN vets. I always look up when a chopper flies over.

The helicopter crews would daily put themselves in harms way. It was routine. They were on call 24-7. We called, they came.

I was a medic on a helicopter firebase. I once had a patient that needed a medivac. Two off duty pilots responded. I met them at the flight line. There were four Hueys, but none cleared to fly. The pilot says this one is good enough. It wouldn't start. On to a second. At the third we jump started it off of the ambulance.

In a couple minutes we were ready to go. Backing that tall military ambulance away from under the flailing blades was certainly an experience.

We flew away without a crew, only the pilots. The crew chief and gunner are the rear eyes of a chopper. All the pilots had was me, without a microphone, and a patient in the back.

We made the trip wilthout incident, but how many edges did these guys push, on a safe mission. We didn't think about it much at the time. It was what needed to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=F_gJTsRSd38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0vF...eature=related

The Music....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQcuiAG3_vI

And, it continues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSzeM...ture=endscreen

I was on duty at the Unkown for a cerimony in 68. I was not in the Old Guard, I was there with an ambulance. Do attend if you get the chance. If you can witness this and not have a lump in your throat, you are a hard SOB. Tip...Park at Andrew Rader Army Clinic and walk across Arlington Cemetary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Don't feel sorry for me, I had a good tour. I did nothing that haunts me. And yet, I still have some anger issues.

So go shake the hand of an old Vietnam Vet. They will growl, but it means something, even if it is a few decades late. They are carrying a lot of baggage.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Hooah! From a peacetime vet.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
shout out to our military brothers and sisters

I'd like to extend a thank you to all the military members past and present and will take a few moments tomorrow to remember all the fallen soldiers on both sides of the barbed wire.

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
Thank you to all the Veterans and thank you Dick for the excellent post and being there as a medic.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Motoguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks for the reminder. I will be sure to go say thank you to my 88-year old neighbor who was a paratrooper on D-Day. His story, which I've been fortunate enough to hear, is incredible and one of bravery and love for his country.
Motoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Here's your handshake -

Thanks Dick , and all other Vet's !!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
My war, Vietnam, was a helicopter war. It is the one sound that stirs all VN vets. I always look up when a chopper flies over.

The helicopter crews would daily put themselves in harms way. It was routine. They were on call 24-7. We called, they came.

My father was a ch47 (Chinook) pilot & some huey (spelling) it left an emotinal/mental scare on him that took decades too overcome, unfortunately once he overcame his demons cancer took him out in four months!

The one wearing the head phones

Jays-f800gs screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 08:20 PM
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
From today's Veterans' Day Parade.

The weather was dry, for a change.

Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,558
It doesn't have to be Veterans day to say thanks...

From my ride report earlier this year...

Cooked up several hundred burgers and all beef hot dogs for the troops. This was all for donations and the money raised went to veterans.

My brother came back from Vietnam a different person.

I always take the time to thank our veterans past and present for their service to this country. I for one do not take it lightly.

Thank you!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post

Thank you, and Thanks to all that served

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
bensgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
A moving moment

I am so fortunate to have been able to attend a veterans ceremony in Pearl harbor Hi. As we gathered on the fan tail of the uss Missouri, the very place where the japanese surrendered under the waving of our flag, the vets from past and current service filed past. The shadow of the 16" guns standing gaurd overhead pointed to our colors at the rear of the ship where these vets raised a hand in salute as they passed by as if they hadn't done enough. There were tears, hand shakes, and reunions of services brothers from years ago. Not many dry eyes by the end of an awsome and unforgetable moment.Thank you all!
bensgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 984
My father, floyd was a WW2 Vet..

I don't need veterans day to shake a hand and say thank you... I try to do it every day...

Thank you to all who served...

Best Regards, Jim...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,956
My wife and I were able to visit some of the battlefields in Europe in 1999 and went to the American cemetary overlooking Omaha beach in Normandy.
I had been in cemetaries before but never one where everyone in it had died within a few months and all in defense of liberty. I didn't realize how much emotion that it could bring out.
I still didn't quite lose it until I saw a little old guy standing looking at a particular head stone, knowing he had come back to see his buddy.
In a strange twist we ended up seeing the movie Saving Private Ryan a few days later, glad I hadn't seen that before I was at Omaha Beach.

We were staying on an air base and got to watch F-117 and A-10 take off to bomb Kosavo every night. Unreal watching the news knowing that the bombs blowing up the Chinese embassy "by mistake" had come out of those cute little black planes that we watched take off every afternoon. Not bomb to spare for OBL of course.

Say a prayer for the family of American hero Tyrone Woods.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Crossthread
Maker of Sharp Stuff

Oddometer: 628
I knew there was a good reason why I enjoyed spending all that time with you on the park bench outside the laundry room at the HC gathering! I too always stop whatever I'm doing to watch and listen whenever I hear that distinctive Huey rotor sound. Even after forty years. Ingrained survival instinct, I guess.

Thank you to all the other vets out there besides us old farts...you know who you are. Yes. YOU. The guys and gals with that pink arabian/middle eastern sand in their boots. Carry on!

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Belated Veteran's day wishes Tourist!

Regards
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote