User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
TekurRides OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Question Tiger 800 Top Boxes

I am going to pick a Tiger 800XC next week (can't wait). Will be getting the stock center stand and heated grips. Adding HT engine guard as soon as I pick it up. The next order of business will be to get a top box. I have listed the options below for everyone's benefit and also to get some opinions. Not considering the Triumph top box because it did rattle quite a bit on the Demo bike when I test rode it. Anyways here are the options:

1) Caribou/Pelican plastic box with back rest and semi-quick release : $371
2) HT Aluminium Top Box with mounting Hardware, not quick release : $432
3) Jesse Top Box, quick release, no back rest : $530
4) Trax Top Box, quick release, no back rest : $600
5) Coocase with backrest, advantage being that it has cell phone charging unit inside: $468

The HT top box needs to be drilled to be installed. Rest should just bolt on as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, any and all opinions will be highly appreciated.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
TekurRides OP
Adventurer

Leaning towards options 1 and 2 at this point as they seem to be the best value for money.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I've got the Caribou 36L and it's fantastic. Easy to remove, durable, secure, light and waterproof. Piece of cake to install and the mounting parts are pretty well executed. You really can't go wrong with this set up, I think.

Highly recommended.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Why not put on a rear rack that holds a standard case like a Givi?

Easy to remove, gives lots of choices of what case to use.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I got the Givi E460. Was like $250 for box and bracket.
Did have to use a piece of alumium (6"x8") to adapt the bracket to the Triumph OEM rack.

Works very well.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 11:22 AM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
I have a Givi V46 and it's great. It's on the forth bike now (F800GS, R1200GS, DL650 (wife's), Tiger 800). Very flexible and good size for commuting.

I'll buy a Givi B33 for the Monokey plate soon to have a smaller, lighter topcase when I put the side cases on. I really like the flexibility and looks of most Givi cases. And they are really solid and water proof.

The only other top case I'd consider is the Micatech small. I actually prefer smaller top cases nowadays as I found that I rarely ever use the volume of the V46 I have. But I'll keep it to put it on when needed.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
afireinside
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have the GIVI Trekker 3 box system with the Altrider top box plate. The GIVI aluminum top plate wasn't available when I ordered the boxes, otherwise I might have gotten that. The GIVI Monokeys are nice because I have 2 different sizes I can use for just a topcase, or I can run all three. The boxes rattled a bit at first with the Altrider plate, but I bought some small rubber bumpers at the hardware store and now it's completely silent.
afireinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I mounted a B & W Type 55 case ordered from Tequipment.net. Parts to mount:

1) CJ Designs Rack from Dual Sport Warehouse (awesome quality)
2) B & W Type 55 Case from Tequipment.net.
3) Mounting hardware - local hardware store

Total cost - about $275. Fits a helmet plus or a whole lot of stuff if not storing a helmet. I used rubber stoppers drilled through with a star nut so the box can be removed without tools although I never plan on taking the box off. The rubber stoppers almost act as shock absorbers for the whole case. Works very well off road so far.

Flyboy52219 screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 03:54 PM Reason: Pictures
Flyboy52219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
TekurRides OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Flyboy, thanks for the pictures. I will probably get a similar sized case from Caribou, reason being that their Aluminium mounting plate is larger, so I am guessing might be more robust in case of a crash. Don't dig the looks a lot though. What is the opinion about Aluminium boxes? What is the reason you guys when with Givi/B&W, etc? Is it because of the weight?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Flyboy, thanks for the pictures. I will probably get a similar sized case from Caribou, reason being that their Aluminium mounting plate is larger, so I am guessing might be more robust in case of a crash. Don't dig the looks a lot though. What is the opinion about Aluminium boxes? What is the reason you guys when with Givi/B&W, etc? Is it because of the weight?
I use Givi because for city riding, when I need to carry just a few things, their Traffic II case is the perfect size. It'll even see me through a weekend on the road without any worries. Or throw on a Trekker 33 or 46 liter box if needed (they double as panniers.)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
What is the opinion about Aluminium boxes? What is the reason you guys when with Givi/B&W, etc? Is it because of the weight?
I don't like the look of most aluminium boxes on the bike. The Micatech small looks okay, but all the others I don't like so much. I also really didn't like the look of Pelican side cases on the bike.

The main reason for me to go with Givi is that it is so easily transferrable from bike to bike and that it goes on and off with the key, no tools required.

Here's how I normally go on multi-day trips:

We've done trips (staying in motels / hotels) for several days like this. The top case holds mainly things I might need over the day, the 24L Ortlieb drybag holds all the clothing I need. The top case was generally half empty on these trips.

If we go out for longer or on a single bike or I carry all our luggage this is the setup:

Jesse Odyssey II + Givi V46. But generally this is total overkill. I normally would use either the side cases and put camping chairs / tent on the AltRider plate.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Abbotson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I was also looking for an Aluminum Top Box found Happy Trails the least expensive (around $200) but would have to drill holes for mounting.
http://www.happy-trail.com/Aluminum-Top-Boxes-Happy-Trail.aspx

Happy Trails gaive me an idea to design my own in CAD and then checked with Metal Supermarkets on how much for cutting
the .090 aluminum blanks which was about $90. I then notched the blanks with a band saw and had a shop bend the parts.
My son inlaw welded the parts together and I assemblied the box.

Abbotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 317
H&b

You may also want to look at the Hepco & Becker line-up. Like Givi they make a Tiger mount and then you have a whole host of options. I had the Junior TC45 on my 800XC. http://www.amotostuff.com/hepco_beck...045-00-01.html

At around $255 for the case, that may be another option to explore. You will need the mount too though.
http://www.amotostuff.com/hepco_beck...505-01-01.html

That's another $130 for the mount. But the mount is universal so any HB topcase will fit. When I sold my 800XC, I took the topcase and moved it over to the GS and just bought a new mount.

Wayne
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I posted this earlier but have no idea what happened.

The Trax top case does have an optional back rest. It's about $50 more. Where do you get the $600 price tag? Must be including the rack. I have this set up and love it. It also comes with a dry bag liner but its not needed.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Hepco Becker Xplorer:

Kinda pricey, but great fit and finish. Doesn't look bad with the factory side cases if you are using them.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote