Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
mark1305 OP
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,857
Help School Me On Some Guzzi Basics ASAP

Like the title says.

A neighbor passed away recently and as I was walking the dog this evening I spoke with family sorting through his belongings, I spotted a '73 Guzzi in the garage. Looks mostly complete except for missing airbox. Has an extra (probably original) tank in good shape in addition to the nondescript tank mounted on the bike. No side covers in sight but I didn't want to bother the family member at this time. They'll be here into the weekend, so if I want it, I may need to act fast.

So no idea what model, other than 1973. Fenders look big and stylish. Drum brakes at both ends.

Any advice as to what would be reasonable for a garage find like this? I am aware that the older models with chrome bores should not be run as they are found due to flaking and resulting engine damage.

Someone help me out with the quick answers. In the meantime I'll be doing some independnet research into Guzzis.

I forgot to mention, I'm still a recovering former Ducati owner and have always wanted to try a Guzzi. So you can imagine my pulse rate right now.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,529
For some reason I dont think the ambo was around in 73,
so probably an eldorado based on your mention of some fancy fenders.

you could sell a non rusty tank for an easy $200,
which could cover the cost of the side covers if ya can't locate them.

every little part can be ordered through mgcycle,
mark ethridge at motoguzzi classics has most things used.

Without pics it's a hard appraisal.
I'd say an nice complete barn find for $1500 would be fair on both ends
if its a civilian model. If that dash has a lot of bells and whistles it's worth more.

get nerdy : http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbend..._loopframe.htm
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
mark1305 OP

Thanks, BW. While I was researching I discovered NADA Guides actually had some values for a 73 Eldo. A decent core for a restoration is valued at around $965. That is with all or most parts intact.

That plus your input gives me some good guidelines to work with.

Keep it coming, folks.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I'm assembling a 70 Ambo right now, that I bought as a basket case. Some parts are a little hard to find but not impossible. For the right price It would be a great project. Guzzi's are a lot like old BMW's, they are very basic and simple but with a little more style. Getting involved with an old Guzzi is almost like joining a cult, once you join you can't get away, so be afraid be very afraid!

The missing side cover can be found but it will cost some $ depending, the air cleaner I wouldn't bother, just go with pod air cleaners. Unless you are going for a correct restoration. I believe the front drum on that year was a 4 leading shoe and actually worked pretty well, IF adjusted properly. Buy a copy of "Guzziology" and get that bike on the road where it belongs!
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Call Dave at Moto International (206) 297-3822 here in Seattle. He's the god-father of all things Guzzi in the US. If you get the bike, you'll want to pick up a copy of his Guzzi bible, Guzziology: http://www.motointernational.com/guz_spl.htm
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
mark1305 OP

Thanks for all the ehlp guys. But someone beat me to it this morning.

Turned out it was an Eldo. The guy that bought it likes to buy projects, get them running, get them sold and find a new project. He also paid about $300-$400 more than I would have offered. But he's done a few Guzzis, so he knew what he was getting.