Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,149
Turns out these odd plants are the Boojum tree.

Nearly endemic to the Baja peninsula with only a small population in Sonora on the Mexican mainland. (Thanks to wikipedia for making me sound smart.)

In Bay of LA we shared the hotel with a few racing teams, the most notable being the COPS Racing Team. They were tuning and revving well into the night, but either they stopped or I was too tired to be kept awake by them.

The next morning we had an excellent breakfast at a place N and slightly east of the roundabout. Bay of LA is less developed (and far smaller) than San Felipe and has a more authentic feel. Here as everywhere the locals were super-friendly, and the kids a bit cheeky but never unkind.

We retraced our route back to San Felipe, and it was colder than expected -- in the 50s with a strong winds. Time to bundle up:

We revisited Coco's Corner, then stopped at Gonzaga Bay for snacks and a butt break. The final push to San Felipe came & went without drama, except for a flat tire. Having a pickup truck along, we just loaded up the disabled bike and pressed on. In SF we checked in to our reserved rooms at Hotel Hacienda Don Jesus and had the punctured tube replaced in no time. The hotel was a hit; the rooms were clean, the parking secure, the beds were firm but comfy, and the masonry walls kept it all nice and quiet. We wrapped up the day with a yummy dinner at Mariscos La Morena on the malecon and a stroll among the shops, enjoying fresh hot churros for dessert.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Turns out these odd plants are the Boojum tree.

Nearly endemic to the Baja peninsula with only a small population in Sonora on the Mexican mainland. (Thanks to wikipedia for making me sound smart.)
The cactus in the foto is the Cardón cactus. World's tallest cactus that can get to 50 ft of more. Again, mainly found in Baja.

Glad that day 2 worked better than day 1.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,149
Ah, thanks for that. I'd wondered if those cacti were (related to) saguaros.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Boojum trees, I can say that all day.

The cold and wind was unexpected heading back from the Bay of L.A.

We switched things up on the way back and Chris rode the V-Strom while Blaine rode Chris's DR.

While the flat tire seemed to be the only casualty I took the chance to look over my own bike while we unloaded the truck to made space for the DR. Imagine my surprise to find some bolts missing having rattled out. Zip ties were good enough to get me home on that front but I also found an oil leak that was the result of a sight glass that is no longer really sealed in the engine cover and just sort of slides back and forth. It wasn't leaking enough to worry about so I chose to ignore it.

Don Jesus runs a pretty nice hotel and we all got together to schedule when we'd head out the next morning. We would be losing an hour crossing back into Arizona and I felt we needed to keep in mind that it took us 12 hours to get out here a few days earlier.

We decided to get on the road about 7 Baja time which would be 8 Arizona time and then just ride hard.

We made a few stops because riding one of these things for hours makes things uncomfortable in some cases.

We made good time as most of the checkpoints are geared toward people heading into Baja and not out of Baja.

We pulled over for lunch in San Luis Rio Colorado, Sean was in the lead and basically pulled off into the first place we saw. We appeared to be out of the fish taco area and this place dealt solely in pork. After a bit of discussion the proprietor brought us an overflowing plate of pork products and a tub of tortillas. I'm pretty sure there were chunks of meat on that plate that did not exist on a pig, and if they did they were probably closely related to the anus.

We all picked through the plate of pork to find the parts that looked familiar but there was quite a bit left over when we had enough. Chris took pity of a very hungry looking dog which licked that plate clean.

We headed out and continued to retrace our steps from Friday. By this time we were pretty comfortable with the off-road detour sections and they didn't slow most of us down. Jon was still a little unsure of the rough stuff on his V-Strom but while we tended to lose him in the dirt he had way more top end than the rest of us and easily caught up once the pavement came back.

Finally we made it back into Sonoyta, in good time as well. Jon had us pull over as we'd just passed a gas station and he felt it was wise to gas up. The rest of us were confident we could make it to Why and fill up back in the US so we made snarky comments about poor V-Strom has mileage.

We made it through the border checkpoint pretty quickly with no problems and were soon riding back through Organ Pipe National Monument until...

What's going on here?

Chris had run out of gas.

Sean, having the capacity of the Exxon Valdez and a fuel line that was easy to get to graciously supplied Chris with a bit of gas to get him to the station. In his defense, Chris has been dealing with a leaking carburetor all weekend and I believe it leaked worse as the weekend went on.

I have to give Jon credit for not rubbing Chris's face in this. I don't believe that I would have been quite as gracious...I know I wouldn't have been.

We made it back to our starting point at the corner of Ajo and Kinney around 6 and then all split up. I had about another two hours of riding to get to Bisbee and had not come prepared for the amazing cold snap that had come through while we were gone.

I could not believe that it was in the 50s when I got home.

Anyway, this was a great ride and I had a blast. Before this trip I had spoken with Chris a few times, ridden with Sean a few times and Jon and I agreed that we had met once a couple of years ago. Sometimes when you get 4 people together there will be one person who'll end up the odd man out but I didn't feel that on this ride (which means that maybe it was me). I'd ride with these guys again at the drop of a hat.

Looking forward to heading back!

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 805
Bisbonian, Good report. Having been snowed on between San Felipe and Ensenada in March, I know how cold it can be. We will have the fire going Thursday if needed. See you then.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
Loved this report! Good times!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there were chunks of meat on that plate that did not exist on a pig, and if they did they were probably closely related to the anus.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 129
Heading through that same area next month. Glad to hear the road report - I am not an OHV expert either, so it's nice to see it's do-able. In fact, one could say I bought my XT to cure myself of my pathological fear of anything that's not asphalt. I've come a long way, but still have much to learn!