ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 761
Music sounds weak

Pardon in advnace but I'm trying to learn my new GPS and it's capabilities. I have a Scala Rider and Zumo 550. When I listen to the radio on my Scala (not going through my Zumo), it sounds great. When I listen to a mp3 from a SD card in my Zumo, it sounds really terrible. Is there a common error I'm making? The mp3 is a good quality file and my helmet speakers are good. If it's a matter of the Zumo's audio player, my next fear is that if I subscribe to XM, when I get my antenna, it will sound poor like my current mp3 rather than good like with my Scala's radio.

Anyone been where I am and can help?
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
Pardon in advnace but I'm trying to learn my new GPS and it's capabilities. I have a Scala Rider and Zumo 550. When I listen to the radio on my Scala (not going through my Zumo), it sounds great. When I listen to a mp3 from a SD card in my Zumo, it sounds really terrible. Is there a common error I'm making? The mp3 is a good quality file and my helmet speakers are good. If it's a matter of the Zumo's audio player, my next fear is that if I subscribe to XM, when I get my antenna, it will sound poor like my current mp3 rather than good like with my Scala's radio.

Anyone been where I am and can help?
Is that the Q2 or G4 you have? If it's the G4/9, each application (radio/intercom/wired input/phone) has its own volume so set it higher when using the music.

I don't know how the Q2 works but you could check the Cardo site, if that's what you have.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is that the Q2 or G4 you have? If it's the G4/9, each application (radio/intercom/wired input/phone) has its own volume so set it higher when using the music.

I don't know how the Q2 works but you could check the Cardo site, if that's what you have.
Its the Q2. I can adjust the volume up and it's not the volume as much as quality. I should have said "sounds bad" and not "weak". It's sounds tinny and lacks any bass what so ever. It also distorts and at mid to high volume, is hard to understand. Cut on my radio and it improves 100%. Depth and tone and the volume is 3 times louder. Very odd.
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin
 
nimrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Espinazo del Diablo , Tejas
Oddometer: 654
set the volume on your garmin 550?
__________________
In my dream, the angel shrugged and said if we fail this time it will be a failure of imagination
and then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand.
B. Andreas
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
set the volume on your garmin 550?
Yep, I did that. I tried playing off the SD card and it sounds terrible. I also added a 2.6mb (same size as on the SD card directly into the Garmin's music file and it sounded the same, terrible.

My next question is this; is the sound quality of the XM radio the same as mp3 music when you guys listen? If so, I'm going to be terribly disappointed in my sound quality.
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
Yep, I did that. I tried playing off the SD card and it sounds terrible. I also added a 2.6mb (same size as on the SD card directly into the Garmin's music file and it sounded the same, terrible.

My next question is this; is the sound quality of the XM radio the same as mp3 music when you guys listen? If so, I'm going to be terribly disappointed in my sound quality.
Are you playing the music through Bluetooth or the wired input? Or through FM from the Nuvi?

How will your XM be connected?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
My next question is this; is the sound quality of the XM radio the same as mp3 music when you guys listen? If so, I'm going to be terribly disappointed in my sound quality.
Yes, it's pretty compressed. But I still LOVE having it.

Is the music you're playing, by any chance, by Air Supply? That might explain the weakness.
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Are you playing the music through Bluetooth or the wired input? Or through FM from the Nuvi?

How will your XM be connected?

Through Bluetooth to a Scala Cardo. I just tried something else. I ran a headphone out from the Zumo cradle to my Scala and skipped Bluetooth. The sound was the same, poor. Very poor.

I'm thinking it's the Scala. I then took a pair of my in ear Shure headphones and went directly from the Zumo. BOOM! Perfect sound quality! Of course it will be better but this is A LOT better. I'm thinking the fix for me is to just run a headphone cord from my Zumo mount into my tank bag and create a port on the back of my tank bag. I can then plug into the tank bag with my head phones. I'd leave the Scala in for the microphone when I'm making calls. I could hear the caller through my headphones.
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Kingsized OP
Kingsized Adventurer
 
Kingsized's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central MS
Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Yes, it's pretty compressed. But I still LOVE having it.

Is the music you're playing, by any chance, by Air Supply? That might explain the weakness.
ABBA
__________________
Everything's better in retrospect.
My ride through Bourbon county http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post22154447
Two Wheels Good, a journey out west http://twowheelsgood3.blogspot.com/
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer
 
OkieTom's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Eastern Oklahoma
Oddometer: 632
Unfortunately the 550 seems to have terrible sound quality, I upgraded to a 665 and the sound quality is excellent. I was never satisfied with the sound quality on my 550.
__________________
"If you have to ask,
You wouldn't understand"
2005 1200GS "The Big Red Pig"
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014