Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2446
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
so far i got a kenda spare 21" standard for the front and rear. But after listening to all the (horror) stories about PSR and flats i am thinking i need an 18" rear inner tube?

? do i need to get a heavy duty innertube to be on the safe side. I don't weigh much and i usually (noob) ride with way too much air pressure?30psi front and rear would be my guess?
Your profile says you have a Tiger XC and a WRR. I assume you're bringing the latter. You'll have more fun offroad.
Yes, an 18" spare is a great idea and easy to carry. Cheap insurance. Or maybe someone in your group needs it. If you're driving it doesn't hurt to have a couple of extra tubes. The issue with DV is that the distances are great and there's nothing out there. So you don't want to be sitting out in the middle of BFE with a flat tire.

Joel is right though, the heavier bikes are more prone to pinch flats from the sharp rocks.

The WRR should be happy at 20lbs of air. You'll get a lot better grip on dirt and sand and your'e bike won't slip out from under you.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2447
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
15 psi max
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #2448
Spank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
For those having problems ordering t-shirt with a CC and no paypal account, the issue's been fixed.

My SPOT
Spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #2449
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
inner tube - kriega tool roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Your profile says you have a Tiger XC and a WRR. I assume you're bringing the latter. You'll have more fun offroad.
Yes, an 18" spare is a great idea and easy to carry. Cheap insurance. Or maybe someone in your group needs it. If you're driving it doesn't hurt to have a couple of extra tubes. The issue with DV is that the distances are great and there's nothing out there. So you don't want to be sitting out in the middle of BFE with a flat tire.

Joel is right though, the heavier bikes are more prone to pinch flats from the sharp rocks.

The WRR should be happy at 20lbs of air. You'll get a lot better grip on dirt and sand and your'e bike won't slip out from under you.
the tiger 800 xc stays home where it won't due damage to me or itself. Just put the AltRider Crash Bars in so i was toying with the idea of dragging the T800XC + WRR so they could keep each other company? However: what's the point when i have the (dirt donkey) WR250R.Looking forward to ghost riding it down the dunes!

Yah i will bring the 18" innertube as a backup and i will take a fairly well used Michelin T63 21" front tire with me (tread about 50% through) if anyone gets into an emergency pinch (pun intended) and wants a free tire. ordering up the Michelin desert racing 90/90/21 tomorrow.

Lastly - was thinking of putting together a tool box for the motos or flip flopping to a Kriega tool roll http://www.kriega.com/tool-roll/ i own a bunch of Kriega stuff so i think it is a no brainer? didn't really need to get a tool box for the moto tools and the kreiga roll. I typically don't wrench on the bike, just small stuff like farkling, tire changing in the field and emergency tools plus - DIY oil changes, etc.

For the record i really like my kreiga r15 hydration pack - should be perfect for the DS ride, its a little shy on space, but it fits so well the bag doesn't sit so low that it intereferes with crap i have tied down on long tarmac rides.

dirt donkey screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 09:30 PM Reason: more verboisty
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2450
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
2 weeks!

I'm trucking, and will be bringing:
12x12 EZ-Up
2 tables, 1 big , 1 not so big
Extra camp chairs
A couple, three coolers, if anybody needs to store stuff, I mean, keep their beer cold.
Coleman camp stove
Tools

Is wood covered? or should I go get a (partial) bed load?

Does anybody in the west Ventura County area need gear hauled? I plan on leaving at 0'dark:30 Thursday morning, so I'd need your gear Wednesday night. More than willing to haul gear, or if you want to carpool, I got room. Think Crew Cab F350. And, it's a 4x4, so it's available for rescue duty, hopefully not needed.

If there's anything else I can do to help, give me a shout and send me a PM with what you need, or contact info.

Dave
You are #1 on the list for wood, Slugdad (#2) and I (#3) are each bringing 1/2 truck loads.

So there is room for more #4 on list is blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #2451
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
2 weeks!

I'm trucking, and will be bringing:
12x12 EZ-Up
2 tables, 1 big , 1 not so big
Extra camp chairs
A couple, three coolers, if anybody needs to store stuff, I mean, keep their beer cold.
Coleman camp stove
Tools

Is wood covered? or should I go get a (partial) bed load?

Does anybody in the west Ventura County area need gear hauled? I plan on leaving at 0'dark:30 Thursday morning, so I'd need your gear Wednesday night. More than willing to haul gear, or if you want to carpool, I got room. Think Crew Cab F350. And, it's a 4x4, so it's available for rescue duty, hopefully not needed.

If there's anything else I can do to help, give me a shout and send me a PM with what you need, or contact info.

Dave
When are you heading out of the 'nard. which way are you heading up to DV? Maybe hookup and cruise together.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #2452
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
FOLKS...I EDITED POST #2, MORE INFORMATION ARE ADDED THAT WILL ANSWER MOST COMMON QUESTIONS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=2

please find the time to read it before coming to the event.

thank you for your support.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #2453
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
Ok, so I'm going to need some help here. Norm was the planner, he was in charge of logistics, beer and bringing the bike wash girls. With Norm out I need someone to step up and bring plenty of beer and some cute gals for bike washing duty. I guess when I get lost I'll have no one to blame.....which way is Death Valley anyway

Seriously (I'm way behind in the thread) I'm trailering in so I'll have a little room.

I can borrow an ez-up if needed (no idea how to set it up), I'll through in a few camp chairs and if room allows a extra cooler for those real ADV riders who are riding in to use. Should I bring these items?

I have a SPOT tracker without the tracking feature, is there a phone number/e-mail I should add to my contacts list in the case I need to use the help or 911 button?

Sorry if this has been covered, my time online is very minimal.

Can hardly wait to see your area!!!

Gerst
brian, please see post #2. i just updated it.

folks, i will have a phone # for emergency calls and will post the number later.

will entrust that phone to someone (non-riding) who will be most likely in camp most of the time.....dsm8, lonestar or buster714
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #2454
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Wild Rumor

I heard that there may be a wet head at DV this year. It will be a last minute thing but........................

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can't say anymore!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #2455
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Sun
Mon
Tue

Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun

airborndad screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 03:08 AM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #2456
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I heard that there may be a wet head at DV this year. It will be a last minute thing but........................

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can't say anymore!
Does this mean I can have your old bike?

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #2457
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
FOLKS...I EDITED POST #2, MORE INFORMATION ARE ADDED THAT WILL ANSWER MOST COMMON QUESTIONS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=2

please find the time to read it before coming to the event.

thank you for your support.
Do we need to bring food for breakfast and lunches or is everyone just paying and going to the cafeteria?
dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #2458
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt donkey View Post
Do we need to bring food for breakfast and lunches or is everyone just paying and going to the cafeteria?
PSR has a cafe and serves breakfast (buffet) and lunch. If you are out for the day bring water, lunch and snacks. Good idea to have an emergency bar in case you get stuck somewhere.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #2459
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
PSR has a cafe and serves breakfast (buffet) and lunch.
Just an FYI... PSR has good food but can be a bit slow, especially with so many people around. So give extra time if you are trying to make a specific ride start.
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #2460
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Sun
Mon
Tue

Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun

That is amazing! I'm bummed I can't make it this year, but Trailjammer Designs and myself will be there in spirit. Hope everyone has a super fun and safe trip. DV is one of my favorite locations. Thanks for all your hardwork on this Joel! Trailjammer Designs is happy to support you all.
-Cain
Trailjammer Designs.