Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #451
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Hey BigToad ... broken femur is a pretty serious injury, hope all is healing well. Is this something that is keeping you from coming down this year? There are a couple of other DV area rides as well. One at the end of Feb that I did last year and will do again this year. PM me for details.

SPOT is absoulutely essential if you are going to ride by yourself!
hey bigtoad, we're happy to hear you survived and ok now. thanks for sharing your ordeal and having a spot. i just can't over emphasize the value of having that in places where there's no other means of communication.

take care and we'll see you in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Morning Joel, or whoever is now the list keeper. Per my request a few pages back, please sign me up for a tent cabin each night. I note that Sue has also requested a tent cabin two nights. If Sue is game, I'd be up for splitting a cabin with her those nights to keep the second tent cabin open for others. Thanks!
glad you and others are taking them TC. they are pricy but you got roof so no need to to bring a tent. good shelter for the cold, rain and sandstorm.

if this will work -brenda and sue, oliver and diane - TENT CABIN it is.

those thinking the same, psr may add a few more. once that is confirmed, post up.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #452
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
SAR List and GPS Tracks:

The tracks we have to date for DV can be downloaded from here: http://dsm8.crazytrend.com/

SAR Input form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UHhfV1otRmc6MQ

thanks dave for your help and sharing your knowledge of the area. FOLKS, GO TO PAGE 1 TO SEE THE ORIGINAL POST.

use these tracks to check out the routes and view them on google earth, which i use all the time when i plan my routes. of course the terrain can vary after a storm.

those with different or similar tracks please send them to dave.

good chance weeks before the event, the ride leaders will post their tracks too.

if you're planning to do more riding in strange and remote places, get a gps and be familiar with it while we have plenty of time.

if you want an advise on a gps, post up here or at the other threads.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #453
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
I'm IN or on the waiting list which ever comes first

EDIT: Riding (or trucking) in Camping | Thursday - leave Saturday | 990

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 02:47 PM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #454
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
Are you riding to Jimmy Lewis school ??
I haven't decided yet. I don't have Friday off (I do have Monday off) and Pahrump would be a not so nice ride in the dark and cold from Temecula. I might see if I can pick up a bumper hitch rack before then. Are you going?

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #455
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Morning Joel, or whoever is now the list keeper. Per my request a few pages back, please sign me up for a tent cabin each night. I note that Sue has also requested a tent cabin two nights. If Sue is game, I'd be up for splitting a cabin with her those nights to keep the second tent cabin open for others. Thanks!
No problem!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #456
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I'm IN or on the waiting list whichever comes first
Dang Moto-treks, for someone that didn't sound very interested last night when I was talking about this you sure did post up quick.

I just posted yesterday for my friends spot to be opened up since I hadn't received a committment. Perhaps the powers that be will let you grab that spot and you can camp near me. At least that way I'll know who's motorcycle I'm tripping over.

Glad you decided to go.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #457
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,387
A few questions:

1.) Will anyone that's hosting this be there all week or are you coming in on Thus.?

2.) SPOT tracker: Will someone be collecting SPOT links to be able to check where someone is if they don't return to camp?

3.) What's the pace of the group rides? Are they spirited or laid back?

4.) Other than a handy mart type store how far and where is the closest grocery store?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #458
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
thanks dave for your help and sharing your knowledge of the area. FOLKS, GO TO PAGE 1 TO SEE THE ORIGINAL POST.

use these tracks to check out the routes and view them on google earth, which i use all the time when i plan my routes. of course the terrain can vary after a storm.

those with different or similar tracks please send them to dave.

good chance weeks before the event, the ride leaders will post their tracks too.

if you're planning to do more riding in strange and remote places, get a gps and be familiar with it while we have plenty of time.

if you want an advise on a gps, post up here or at the other threads.
I'll follow the leader of the most n00biest ride.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #459
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
A few questions:

1.) Will anyone that's hosting this be there all week or are you coming in on Thus.?

2.) SPOT tracker: Will someone be collecting SPOT links to be able to check where someone is if they don't return to camp?

3.) What's the pace of the group rides? Are they spirited or laid back?

4.) Other than a handy mart type store how far and where is the closest grocery store?
Answers:

1 - Yes. There will be somebody there most of the week that is experienced in Death Valley.

2 - Yes. We will collect SPOT links when the event date gets closer.

3 - Group ride paces will be posted when you sign up for a group ride (most easily noted at Noob Friendly, Intermediate, and Advanced). Most importantly, ALWAYS ride a pace you are comfortable at. Don't be afraid to courteously pass somebody when it is clear and be aware that somebody may want to pass you.

4 - A grocery store is quite a trek from Panamint Springs. Everything is expensive in this part of the world because you have to ship it all in. For "real grocery stores" Google maps will show you Coso Junction, Lone Pine, and Trona. Most will keep daylight hours, so a late night trip to the store will keep you on your diet. Refer to previous comment on everything being expensive.

Gas is expensive in this part of the world. Last weekend 91 octane was $6.40 per gallon at the Panamint Shell Station. Please buy some of your gas there, as it keeps the station open. The food and beer at the Panamint Springs Resort are good, but a bit spend. Again, spend a few dollars there to keep the place open.

If you need parts, tires, gear, camping equipment, or anything else, Pahrump is a 2 hour drive and Las Vegas is a 3 hour drive. Call places first, as big dual sport tires (606's, 908's, Heidenau's) and KTM parts (fuel pumps, voltage regulators, front suspension) are usually special orders.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #460
tonyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
I am in (I guess on the waiting list for now...)

Tony (tonyj) / riding in & camping / all nights & all meals / F800GS
tonyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #461
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 532
FuzzyNugs is on the alternate list (if there is one) and if he makes it in he can have the unused bed in my room so he doesn't take up a site. I am not gay......

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #462
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Dang Moto-treks, for someone that didn't sound very interested last night when I was talking about this you sure did post up quick.

I just posted yesterday for my friends spot to be opened up since I hadn't received a committment. Perhaps the powers that be will let you grab that spot and you can camp near me. At least that way I'll know who's motorcycle I'm tripping over.

Glad you decided to go.
I don't remember you saying the rally was full and you are planing to dump your "friends" spot. What? I'm not your friend anymore

Anyway, I needed to check out the Jimmy Lewis riding class to see how that lined up with this event. Looks like there's a class open the week-end before. Want to take that with me If I can get enough people interested he may even make it a big bike class

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #463
Lcolton_BMWVC
Poor College Student

Oddometer: 22
Standby List

Throw me on the standby list!

lcolton_bmwvc (Lyle) R1200GS (if the new bike shows up on time), Trucking in, Thursday - Sunday, All meals.

If I end up able to make it I will come up with a raffle prize to bring along from the shop.
Lcolton_BMWVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #464
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
YetiGS Details

6. scott (yetigs) - t?/f/s/s 450exc/trucking in/all meals
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #465
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 397
Food

slidewayes 33,34,35,36 Please sign us up for the chow line
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote