Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #571
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
Check into some Kenda Trakmasters for a good and inexpensive tire.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #572
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
SOMEONE PMd ME ASKING WHERE TO RENT A D.S. BIKE FOR THE RALLY.

he googled and negative results. i don't have an answer, but i remember there's one in vegas or l.a.

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/nam...as_rental.html

can someone post up and recommend a place?

I thought there was a KLR Rental place in SF... musta been a dream. Here's a long list:
http://www.pashnittours.com/motorcycles.html

High end DS:
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/bm...l=sanfrancisco
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/bm...ral=losangeles

Take the Insurance offer... :\

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #573
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Kenda's.

I am going to attempt some super light off road on the crappy stock tires first. mostly because I cant bring myself to replace brand new tires. Cant imagine they will last longer than 5K miles anyway.

And crash bars will be installed prior to any of this!

Just swap the knobbies for DV and put your street tires on when you get back. Super easy
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #574
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Kenda's.

I am going to attempt some super light off road on the crappy stock tires first. mostly because I cant bring myself to replace brand new tires. Cant imagine they will last longer than 5K miles anyway.

And crash bars will be installed prior to any of this!

Well, near as I can tell you have a new 800gs, is that right? I couldn't tell from your profile either, so wasn't even sure what kind of bike we were talking about.

For dirt going, having the rear sliding around is one thing, but having the front washout is no fun. Put something on for better grip and you don't have to crash.

If your bike is new consider just buying an extra set of tires you can spoon on when you need them, save the road tires for a big road trip. That's what I did with my Tiger 800. I keep both sets marked with notes for balance so I can mount them back up true. Takes about 45 minutes to change them out.

A K60 rear works really good with a knobby front for DV. Just a thought.

If you have a K60 on the back it works for road and dirt. Then you can just change out the front which is super easy. For dirt, all of the fronts work pretty well, from MT21, 606, 908, TKC, BB, Scorp Rally, even the TKC. I've been wanting to try a T63 for the longest time. Everybody seems to have their favorite flavor.

EDIT: Jimmy beat me to it...

+1 on the Trackmasters. Great dirt tire.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #575
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I was thinking of K60 back with TKC80 twinduro front for my 8GS. There was an earlier post about "show and tell" on tire change, might take up offer on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
A K60 rear works really good with a knobby front for DV. Just a thought.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #576
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 634
Free USED Tires near 92708

Since NSFW has been kind enough to recognize my store in this thread I'd like to start the DV Noob giveaway madness straight out of the gate...

If you're reading this and you're local to me or willing to make the ride I have 2 used Continental TKC80 fronts and 1 used Dunlop D606 front that would be fine for a weekend in Death Valley. They're 90/90-21 which fit a number of bikes. I'll donate the tires to 3 new riders that want some traction for the event. Please keep in mind that they're a softer compound and will not last a lot of pavement riding from now until the event in March! I probably put a couple thousand miles on each tire as it is, but if you're considering running bald tires I'd much rather give you these instead.

There's a great little motorcycle shop right around the corner from me if you need an install. But again, please don't wear them down before the event since that will defeat the whole purpose of the donation.

I'm located in Fountain Valley, CA 92708.

First 3 posts of "DIBS" (with the tire you want) get the tires. I'll confirm the 3 and you can come by and pick them up.

Let's ride!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #577
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 244
Question Tea kettle and Ubehebe Crater Mileage and Suggestions

I did not make a track to get an accurate mileage, and it will depend on the route ridden anyway. Best to plan for 150+. Most all of the loops in DV will require 150+ gas range so Noobs should plan ahead.

Any fastener that is worn will break. Any fastener that is not tight will fall off. Check all of the key fasteners. If worn, replace them. If not sure, replace them. For those that still are good, remove them and apply blue locktite on the threads when tightening them.

I highly suggest you check your clutch and throttle cables for wear. If not sure, replace them or carry spares.

Check your chain and sprockets. If worn, replace them. Adjust the chain.

Check your battery. If it is 2.5 years or older, it probably is on its last leg and should be replaced even if it tests OK.

I know many guys that ride well with Anakee type tires, but new or "fresh" knobbies are best.

A key thing to remember is your cell phone will not work. If you have a minor mechanical, you should be able to fix it well enough to continue your ride or get back to camp.

Here is a suggested list of stuff to carry on your bike:

1. A new tube (preferrably front and rear), tire irons, wrenches to remove axle nuts, and an air pump.
2. Assorted nuts, bolts and washers used most on your bike and basic hand tools to install them.
3. Zip ties and "rescue tape" or small roll of duct tape.
4. Spare clutch and brake levers, or adjust hand guards / barkbusters to protect your levers if you fall. Better to do both.
5. Epoxy that works on metal and plastic.
6. A good headlight from REI or similar. (Try fixing a flat, etc. after dark without one.)
7. A good Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.

Joel, volunteers and ride leaders do their best to assure all Noobs have a great experience. With a little preparation, Death Valley is a wonderful place to ride.

'06 Husky TE 610, '93 ATK 605, 2014 R1200 GSW

jarthur screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 09:40 PM Reason: correction
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #578
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I thought there was a KLR Rental place in SF... musta been a dream. Here's a long list:
http://www.pashnittours.com/motorcycles.html

High end DS:
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/bm...l=sanfrancisco
http://www.eaglerider.com/rentals/bm...ral=losangeles

Take the Insurance offer... :\
That's why I asked. Makes no sense if he's in SoCal.

There'd Dubbelju. They rent anything from 1200RT to F800GS.

http://www.dubbelju.com
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #579
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,957
DIBS on 606 front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Since NSFW has been kind enough to recognize my store in this thread I'd like to start the DV Noob giveaway madness straight out of the gate...

If you're reading this and you're local to me or willing to make the ride I have 2 used Continental TKC80 fronts and 1 used Dunlop D606 front that would be fine for a weekend in Death Valley. They're 90/90-21 which fit a number of bikes. I'll donate the tires to 3 new riders that want some traction for the event. Please keep in mind that they're a softer compound and will not last a lot of pavement riding from now until the event in March! I probably put a couple thousand miles on each tire as it is, but if you're considering running bald tires I'd much rather give you these instead.

There's a great little motorcycle shop right around the corner from me if you need an install. But again, please don't wear them down before the event since that will defeat the whole purpose of the donation.

First 3 posts of "DIBS" (with the tire you want) get the tires. I'll confirm the 3 and you can come by and pick them up.

Let's ride!

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #580
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,151
klim good deals

Quote:
SAVE UP TO $60 A PAIR ON KLIM OFF-ROAD PANTS NOW.

Baja Pant $99.99
Chinook Pant $109.99
Mojave Pant $109.99
Dakar Pant $119.99

See them all here... Klim Off-Road Pants

Stock is limited. Don't wait.
sorry folks, i have to order mine first before i could post this up...hehehe

now i will have nice tidy pants to wear to the rally.

thanks aram....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #581
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
DIBS TKC80 front
Quote:

Let's ride!
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #582
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
SOMEONE PMd ME ASKING WHERE TO RENT A D.S. BIKE FOR THE RALLY.

he googled and negative results. i don't have an answer, but i remember there's one in vegas or l.a.

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/nam...as_rental.html

can someone post up and recommend a place?

AdMo Tours, in Wrightwood, among other places

http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #583
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
DIBS on 606 front.
are you sure?
these skins might be round
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #584
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,421
Tires

Here is another opportunity to pick up some nobbie tires as donations ... Any GS riders that want to try out some front tires for their tubless 19" front wheels, I have the following available for pick up:

TKC 80 - 50% tread
Mitas E09 - 60% tread
Heidenau K60 - 70% tread (has some bead leak issues, loses 2 - 4 psi/day)

Located in Hunitngton Beach

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #585
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Since this thread is going nuts with anticipation, I thought I'd share a video we had made a few years back. These are the Olancha Dunes and some areas near Lone Pine. Now don't try any of this in the real world because it is all smoke and mirrors, just ask Joel.

On another note, I do have rental bikes available through my school. But, and this is a big "BUT", we only rent them during schools where they are "observed" due to the nature of how people tend to treat rental equipment and what really happens on dirt bike rides. I'd consider renting under the right conditions, so maybe a PM is in order if that someone is still looking. Plus the bikes are set up for long distance off-road (big gas tanks) so there is a plus there.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote