User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #61
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 548
Hey, that's the end of my spring break.

Most likely in, riding solo on a V-Strom from LA. Can't pull an Airstream with a Wee, so tent it is. I don't need a whole site to myself--I have a one-man tent and can hide pretty much anywhere.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #62
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
Gotta get the Colorado crew out to see how awesome Death Valley is! Fuel range is no problem and I'll no doubt be tenting, but don't know if I'll try to hook up and come in with someone.

And I'm NOT the girl who rode with the gigantic panniers!! All I ride with is my tank bag--Jesse bags were on the OTHER girl's bike. People keep mixing us up
Oh, sorry for the mix up ... Welcome to The Noobs Rally

Note to self... LuLu, the smart one, not the big ones....

Both very good riders though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Good on you guys for making the event something more than just a ride. I am thrilled with the trend to fund-raise to keep our right to ride the areas we love.

I gotta tell you....Death Valley is on my short list. I would love to do this ride, but am tied up the very next weekend on the.......

RMAR Kokopelli/Moab Ride

This is a popular time to ride those areas that are blisteringly hot, 6 months out of the year.

Actually, I am thinking about heading out there the middle of February with the wife on a 2-up Adventure Ride.

Hope to see you here for the DVN Rally John. If you do come out another time, let me know and I'll show you around..

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post

Most likely in, riding solo on a V-Strom from LA. Can't pull an Airstream with a Wee, so tent it is. I don't need a whole site to myself--I have a one-man tent and can hide pretty much anywhere.

Welcome DS,

Yep, we don't get whole sites to ourselves........ We like to make friends Unless they snore, then they are banished to a special place !
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #63
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
You'll hear a lot about getting gas in Death Valley... And I'm not just talking about Joel's cooking !

I just noticed the gas is not pay at the pump. If we needed to launch a recovery mission this could be a problem. I'll make sure to fill my vehicle when I get there so it is ready if needed. Lonestar, you may take note too..

A couple of other notes. The PSR station is not Shell anymore. The price for regular gas was $6 a gallon, premium over $6.50... I don't hold that against them, they have to try and make a living, and I do see he is improving the "resort" feel

Stovepipe Wells had regular for only $4.50 and Furnace Creek was over $5 for Regular at the same time. That made no sense. They are both inside the park concessions.

The "king" of gas pricing... Beatty NV was $3.50

Gas Station & General Store

Hours: 7AM to 9:30PM daily GAS: We sell gasoline for your convenience. This includes 87, 89, & 91 octane gasoline and diesel at our General Store. We take cash or credit, which must be paid before pumping gas. We do not have “pay at the pump” service, so you cannot get gas outside of our business hours.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #64
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,639
In.

Don't which bike yet, camping.
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #65
Kendrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
In. Riding, 950SE, Camping.

Take the SE Aaron, I'll follow you up.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #66
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I have to see if I can take the days off. If I can, I'll be riding in. Unless I plan on putting my knobbies on, then I'll trailer that 800GS in. Oh, and camping all the way around.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #67
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4STAR View Post
LONG HAUL FROM IOWA
If I can make it from Texas, you can do it from Iowa. No excuses! It's a great ride!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #68
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
yes, it is. wish we can move it, but tradition won't let us do it. also, doing it on earlier part of march, we risk getting rain and snow; moving it into april will put a small gap between this and other events.

there are people who expressed not being able to attend. really i felt sorry cuz they love to come and we enjoy riding with them. tough one....
Now you're feeling my pain from WARPED a few years ago. It had to be on Easter for the same reason this does. Some people got SO worked up over it. (I'm just stoked I'm getting out of another lame Easter brunch with the family. )
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #69
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
In

f/s/s - /RIDING IN/800GS
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #70
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Count me IN, again! Truck w/camper and trailer. Will grab a site with water when I get there. Husky TE630 and TR650 Terra. Will be there early, and late, taking advantage of all offered, and some that is not!
hi ken. it's a long drive from houston and glad to have you again. congrats on the tr650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
Well Joel, since you make the haul out to join us for RMAR, I'm putting this on my calendar for 2013. I got a new truck, so I just need to pick up a trailer. Would love to ride in, but riding over the Rockies can be sketchy that time of year. Then again, maybe I'll just try studding my tires....

Learned my lesson from Ophir, and will def have knobbies on for these off road weekends! I love Death Valley and can't wait to work on those off-road skills a bit more. Maybe by the end of next summer I won't feel like such a noob anymore.
wohooo, we got one from colorado, lulu great to have you....

this event has denoobing many riders every year. we break them gently and keep the parts department busy the following monday......

i heard you went to alaska for 2 weeks on your 650. wow. that will make the ride to dv a breeze....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
Anyone lurking this thread from back east, this is the route that I would probably take. I have not made my decision to go, but having someone to share the driving and the expense would make it easier.

I have room for one extra bike and one person. PM me if interested.
df, hope you find someone to carpool and make it regardless.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #71
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
IN X 3

airborndad - Thurs-Sat Truck & Trailer all dinners XT 225
Justin ..- Thurs-Sat driving in with me all dinners XT 225
Thrasher (nOOb).- Thurs-Sat Truck all dinners DRZ 400

Edit: have to bail Sunday morning super super early

THANKS JOEL

keith, good job on the 2012 ride report and leading a noob's group. thanks for bring along a noobie.

again, we need to recruit your "first responder skill', hopefully no one will need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Good on you guys for making the event something more than just a ride. I am thrilled with the trend to fund-raise to keep our right to ride the areas we love.

I gotta tell you....Death Valley is on my short list. I would love to do this ride, but am tied up the very next weekend on the.......

RMAR Kokopelli/Moab Ride

This is a popular time to ride those areas that are blisteringly hot, 6 months out of the year.

Actually, I am thinking about heading out there the middle of February with the wife on a 2-up Adventure Ride.

john, sorry you could not make it. mid feb should be good if you're riding the lower elevations. some passes will still be closed or covered with ice or snow. enjoy.

we tried to extort money from all particpants so we could raise funds for charity. we haven't made serious collection, and i'll leave that to everyone to do their best.

still planning to do one of the rmar rides. see you there.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #72
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Jesus arose out of the desert and said thou shalt ride on the day of my resurrection. (and ride in the desert if that works) and thou shalt turn water into wine (and beer if you must).

That is my vision as a good Christian.
AMEN

chris, you got to make this, another good opportunity for norcal and socal peeps to ride together. that's how this event got started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
In x2.. Thu-Sun, truck in, 450x/KTM 530, PMed Joel on rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post

hope school is good and you deserved this much needed spring break!

btw, you kicked the trojans' ass yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post

matt, it's been a while from the bike night hosted by solomotoparts.com. it will be good to see you again, just try not to get hurt before the event.

i have been toying of getting bigger tent, provisions in case it rains.

something like this.

will pm you if we really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Now you're feeling my pain from WARPED a few years ago. It had to be on Easter for the same reason this does. Some people got SO worked up over it.
scott, i agree that's a tough one. people have to realize the riding window for big events or rallies is pretty small, especially whenever the severe weather becomes part of the equation.

holding it earlier is not an option. the bmw rally has the campground the week before, earlier than that we get the winter storm. in april, there are 2 big events -warped and mendo rally. there's also the mex1000 which i'm already committed to be in the support crew.

we used to hold this event in november, good weather too but i noticed more people come to the march rally because they suffered from "cabin fever".....
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

please post all your questions here, instead of PM

most of the questions you asked are good and the answers could benefit other people who have the same or similar question.

besides, i have over unread PMs....hard to be famous.....

limit the PM for "personal stuff".

many of the rally veterans here can answer your questions and likewise can give good advise.

the list is filling up fast. thank you all for the overwhelming response and positive comments.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #74
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Laugh

Mid-November and 84 people on the list

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #75
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post

Sounds like a plan. I'll ride up on the SE if I still have it.
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote