Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #736
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 618
Can I get on the wait list. i person riding in, tent, all days + dinner. Riding R1200GS

thank you
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #737
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
DV Waiting list 2013

Hi,

I am looking to also get on the wait list.
Been riding for many years on/offroad but still haven't made it to DV and would like to join in on the fun.

Plan is to head out in my small van (no trailer-just van) and looking to camp in it and be included in all meals and days.

I will be on my WR250R that I have set up with a large fuel tank and various other mods.

Also I would be more than happy to tote in some supplies from Long Beach area.... firewood, ice, etc...

Thanks
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #738
fishwhisperer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
more of an introduction

in the spirit of introducing myself, here's my SECOND click on the odometer, woohoo...

i'm scott, #136, a fish biologist, hence the handle, and maybe can tell stories about catching fish by hand around the campfire. i've been riding dirt for 6 years on a beater cr250 picked up from a buddy. but i've been racing mountain bikes in rediculous endurance races for 20 years (i just got back from a three day mt bike race across costa rica). i'm hooked on mixing in dirt riding to my two wheel time for working on more handling skills, getting where i wanna go a little quicker, and the fact that when you are twisting a throttle, going uphill is as much fun as decending on a mountain bike is. and you don't need to train so hard to get there. i've also done a number of self supported bicycle tours, including rides out to the rockies and much of the continental divide, riding distances that many would think are plenty for a moto tour, well over 1,000 miles. i'm actually considering racing the entire length of the divide from banff to antelope wells next year. i'm inspired to get into adv riding for the same pull that gets me out on my bicycle for over a thousand miles at a time... to travel to amazing places and actually enjoy getting there.

so i got my first adv bike back in the spring of this year from another inmate, slownsteady, before i knew anything about this forum. he passed on a very well cared-for 2007 ktm 640a. since then i've worked on tire changes, set up the bike with a set of mefos and mounted the knobbies on an alternate wheelset for quicker changes, worked on the hydraulic clutch, slightly lowered the ride, acquiring touring gear, mounted side racks, etc. I've been the occaisional commuter, took my first road tour from SF Bay to convict lake with some buddies, and just spent a week riding around Saline Valley over thanksgiving, with my wife in the Tacoma for support. I got up to the racetrack, up steel pass, and explored some of the valley canyons. We even did some two-up rides to day hikes. I'm lobbying her to get inspired to ride her own bike, but we will see about that. i'm resisting the urge to put a DS bike under the xmas tree!

as for the noob rally, i'm heading there to absorb as much as i possibly can from the more experienced adv riders and to get into some places in the valley i haven't gone with my tacoma, like goler wash. i'm interested in figuring out what touring bag setup i'd like to get, backcountry gear, rigging the right gps, spot transceiver, developing a good backcountry tool kit, maybe some lighting farkles, and rejetting for trips to altitude. i need more sand experience and i'm just figuring out how to handle the extra power, torque, and weight of the bike over my cr250. though i've been riding dirt for some time, moves like popping up the front end to clear obstacles is a bit intimidating on bike this heavy bike. i plan on signing up for any ride that will push my limits a bit, providing that's ok with the leaders. i'm assuming getting through dedeckera will be ok but maybe a challenge. and i'm particularly interested in finding the other 640a riders out there to learn about the bike.

i haven't read much about swapping gear at this rally, but it seems to me this would be great place for noobs to pick up some gear from the surplus of the vets: touring clothes, gps, soft luggage, tools, etc. i wonder if there could be a swap meet type of event planned for the rally?

TMI?
fishwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #739
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,154
Introduction

Hi,
since I've never met anybody in the group and have signed up for a couple of rides (so far!), thought I should introduce myself. Took the msf course the beginning of Jan. 2012 and bought a Honda Rebel on the way home from the last class day. I put about 4000 miles on the bike and then in July went on a 4200 mile trip through the western states. One of the best trips of my life..... I got addicted to the advrider forum few months ago and started thinking about buying a dual sport. Looked at the klr650 - waaaay toooo big for a dirt noob. After a lot of research I picked up a xt250 about 6 weeks ago (?). Woohoo, total dirt noob! Went down to Anza Borrego for a few days, had a great time and one good dump in the sand.

Then, and I'm still not sure how it happened, a v-strom adventure ended up in the garage...hmmmm.

Poor Rebel is going up on Craig's List - I'll miss the Wee Beastie, wish I could keep him too, lots of sentimental value! (Why my handle is Little Bike - I'm 5'9" and a little past rubenesque)
Anyhoo, in the last year I've gotten in almost 10,000 miles of road riding and really looking forward to adding dirt skills. I'm signed up for Lewis' class the weekend right before the rally. I'll be riding in on my xt250 (after I get a new seat - ) :loll

I teach 8th grade science so I like hanging out with goofy people and have a somewhat warped sense of humor. I don't have any friends that ride, so I've been making new friends through meetup groups. It's funny, my friends that don't ride don't understand why it's funny when you drop a bike or wipe out in the sand. They also don't get why you need to get out the camera

Really looking forward to Death Valley. I've been there many times camping with a 4wd, looking forward to getting a view of the park from the back of my bike (especially Titus Canyon - which a fellow Death Valley friend calls Tight-Ass Canyon)
Can we have the rally now?????

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #740
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 215
Rider 100 is OUT

Rider 100, Bryan, will not be able to make the ride. Please update the list and give his spot to the next in line.

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #741
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,923
great to hear people giving intro. really interesting to know you folks and how you got into dual/adventure riding.

i for instance, i like motorcycles, the outdoors, hanging out with people and exploring different places. same with what fish said, a motorbike allows me to cover more distance and reach areas that are difficult to get to. 100 miles in 1 day is realistic.

my philosophy - while i'm riding, i take precaution that i go home in 1 piece and able to return to work. riding is fun, it gives me the energy and the motivation to stay healthy. work meantime is where i get the $ to pay for my riding.

really simple: play-work in partnership!

best of all - i made a lot of friends here and met hundreds of good people.

don't be shy, bring it!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #742
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,923
well we had tires give away!

good idea swapping gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
i haven't read much about swapping gear at this rally, but it seems to me this would be great place for noobs to pick up some gear from the surplus of the vets: touring clothes, gps, soft luggage, tools, etc. i wonder if there could be a swap meet type of event planned for the rally?

TMI?

i'm all for this! plenty of stuff to unload....

riding pants
jackets
jerseys
pressure suits
motorcycle parts

wonder if other people will be interested?

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #743
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 215
Please Update - Rider 99

99 Bill (ConTeacher) TR2 M D2 1200gs & XR650R

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #744
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

good idea swapping gear.

riding pants
jackets
jerseys
pressure suits
motorcycle parts

Still have a few 19" front tires for the dirt that have plenty of tread left on them. FREE for any nOObs looking to try a different tire off road.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #745
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupknotzee View Post
Hi,

I am looking to also get on the wait list.
Been riding for many years on/offroad but still haven't made it to DV and would like to join in on the fun.

Plan is to head out in my small van (no trailer-just van) and looking to camp in it and be included in all meals and days.

I will be on my WR250R that I have set up with a large fuel tank and various other mods.

Also I would be more than happy to tote in some supplies from Long Beach area.... firewood, ice, etc...

Thanks
Big Seinfield fan, huh?

I updated all the IN and WAITING LISTS.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #746
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

good idea swapping gear.

riding pants
jackets
jerseys
pressure suits
motorcycle parts

I'd be interested in unloading some stuff like oneal riding boots size 10, MSR impact chest protector, bike parts, and some small odds and ends.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #747
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Also, from bay area

My friend Sampath and I had mentioned that we will be riding it but since then we have decided to trailer in our bikes. The details are stated below. Do we still have time to switch to a trailer spot?

106. sampath MC3 D3 - f800gs
107. chetan (tekurides) MC3 D3 - xc800

Also, any riders trailering or riding down from the bay area?

Thanks,
Chetan
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #748
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Might as well unload some stuff...Giveaway SPECIALS AT CAMP JIMMY!!!!!!!!

I have a set of TKC's for a GS/A still with life on em... FREE. I'll have em at my camp.

A 21 inch 606 front tire totally still doable perfect for someone needing a knobby front to try... FREE

Also a beat up pair if size 12 Thor MX boots... Still totally wearable.. FREE

2 pair of Alpinestar Knee Braces. FREE. These are banged up too but you get free trail cred when you wear these...

Only for pickup at DV at my site.... I am not shipping these anywhere.... Once you take these items more than 2 feet outta my camp you own em!!!! I will take these items home if not used Joel.......
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #749
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Might as well unload some stuff...Giveaway SPECIALS AT CAMP JIMMY!!!!!!!!

I have a set of TKC's for a GS/A still with life on em... FREE. I'll have em at my camp.

A 21 inch 606 front tire totally still doable perfect for someone needing a knobby front to try... FREE

Also a beat up pair if size 12 Thor MX boots... Still totally wearable.. FREE

2 pair of Alpinestar Knee Braces. FREE. These are banged up too but you get free trail cred when you wear these...

Only for pickup at DV at my site.... I am not shipping these anywhere.... Once you take these items more than 2 feet outta my camp you own em!!!!
Sounds like you're really gonna miss these items, Jimmy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #750
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Sounds like you're really gonna miss these items, Jimmy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

When they just sit in the garage..... Nope won't miss em!! If someone can use em awesome!!!!