Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #751
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
great to hear people giving intro. really interesting to know you folks and how you got into dual/adventure riding.
That's actually a bit amusing, well to me anyway...

I accidentally got into a DS bike.

I've always liked motorcycles and I've always liked the outdoors. I've had my Jeeps (Cherokees) since 1998 and have done quite a bit of dirt in them. I never used to like the idea of a compromise bike, I wanted a street bike and possibly a dirt bike. I have very little two wheeled dirt experience (some three wheel experience) so it wasn't a priority.

One day I was visiting a buddy of mine out in Lancaster, he had this KLR for sale, somebody was going to come by and give it a test ride. It was an '05 with about 4,800 miles on it. The original owner looped it on trail taking out the front faring, destroying the luggage rack, breaking both tank shrouds, and denting the tank and radiator. My buddy bought it cheap, made it ridable, and since it wasn't a Honda never really rode it. On a whim I took it for a short spin.

That was the end. I drove home that night and spend the next week thinking about it. Ultimately I took it home for a month test drive / deciding (he's a good friend and knew I wouldn't screw him). $1,300 later it was legally mine and I've been riding it since. I fixed the last things that were broken like the luggage rack and re-engineering the tank shrouds so they would stay on. Up to this point all I've done is commute with it and put under twenty dirt miles. With no experience it's real sketchy to ride on my Dunlop 607s so I've stayed away, I'd really love to see how much more confident I feel with some knobbies and low gearing, it would be doubly nice to do it in an environment where I'm not the only one around too!

Anyway - As for the gear swap meet I think that's a good idea. Since I'm newbish I don't have anything to sell but I might want to buy something if I happen to have money at the time. Perhaps up to the event a central thread can be in order. The only thing I have to offer are some roller tires, they're only really good for putting on a project to roll around teh garage while you're working on it. One is a 90/90-21 (OEM KLR tire) and the other is 130/80-17 (D607).
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #752
SWbySWXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Who am I? I've been riding street since 2006; started on a Honda Rebel as well. My dad was a lifelong rider and taught me a lot. The racetrack and canyons taught me the rest. I've also been into 4wd since 2006 so I naturally wanted to combine the moto and offroad so I picked up a DRZ400sm and a second set of wheels for knobbies. Been mobbing ever since! I've got some dirtbagz with holes in 'em, but I'll probably roll out in the e350 4x4 van beast. I've met a few ADV riders here and there, desert/Big Bear area, and I know Sequoia from 4wheeling. Anyways, I still definitely count myself as a new rider and March will be 11 months since I broke my left hip so I think it would be awesome to DO something awesome to celebrate a full recovery! Anyways, see you all out there!
SWbySWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #753
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
free to all participants, if no takers - lurkers can have them. prefer local pick up or $20 each for shipping

helmet, blue, slightly used xl - fly racing

pressure suit by oneal - large. one of the arms is torn from a crash, but the pads are still intact. repairable.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #754
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Aw crap, many days late on this one. QueenB and I would love to come, but she's not a camper grrl, and there are already 26 on the waiting list, not to mention Panamint Springs Resort is way full already, We so missed the window on this event. Guess we will have to pay closer attention for next time.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #755
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post

IN LIST
14. mike (nowwhat) – M – D3 - fe570 WRONG BIKE

53. jon (riddler990) – M – D3 - se950
54. pat (kuyapat) – M – D3 - se950

79. aaron (traveltoad) – MC1 – D1 – 950se
80. matt (kendrick) – MC3 – D3 - 950SE

82. louis (sito) – M – D3 – 950SE
83. tony (toast) – M – D3 – 950SE
88. danny (dannyg) – TR3 – D3 - ktm530exc WRONG BIKE

125. john (triplenickel) – BT3 – D3 – 950se

192. kurt (ktmforget) – RV3 (#6) – D3 - KTM 950SE & 990ADV (Donate $100 gift certificate to Black Dog Cycle Works)

WAITING LIST

204. gareth (joneswgareth) – TR3 – D3 – 950se

That's it for 950 Super Enduro's?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #756
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post

what day r u planing to go?
need some one to ride with on the way to camp
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #757
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Aw crap, many days late on this one. QueenB and I would love to come, but she's not a camper grrl, and there are already 26 on the waiting list, not to mention Panamint Springs Resort is way full already, We so missed the window on this event. Guess we will have to pay closer attention for next time.

db, never say no. still there's the possibility of someone moteling will bail out since it has been mentioned. will confirm. will do our best to accommodate weary travelers from distant places.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #758
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post

We are a rare breed....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #759
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
db, never say no. still there's the possibility of someone moteling will bail out since it has been mentioned. will confirm. will do our best to accommodate weary travelers from distant places.

We'll keep track of the thread.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #760
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
SPECIALS AT CAMP JIMMY!!!!!!!!
Once you take these items more than 2 feet outta my camp you own em!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Nope won't miss em!! If someone can use em awesome!!!!
You might want to change that from 2' to you looked at em and they fit, you got em...no refunds, no exchanges no backsies....

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #761
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

you like? me like...

http://www.omni-cruise.com/omni-cruise-v01b/ will be donating at least 5 of this.....

thank you andy (macadamia) for contacting the vendor.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #762
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 532
waiting list

Don't see any instructions on how to get on the waiting list....interested in going.

Riding the Tiger XC there and back again but want to rent/borrow a 250 for dirt.

If anyone has an extra light street legal (or heck even non-street legal) 250 I'd like to ride it this year. I'm a girl, what harm can I do to it?
Of course I'll pay you for using it and any repairs if I do break it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #763
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,993
Mike's and Danny's bikes are upgraded to SE's and Dirty Bike and QueenB is added to the waiting list. They are hoping that someone will bail out from motel rooms.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #764
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Don't see any instructions on how to get on the waiting list....interested in going.

Riding the Tiger XC there and back again but want to rent/borrow a 250 for dirt.

If anyone has an extra light street legal (or heck even non-street legal) 250 I'd like to ride it this year. I'm a girl, what harm can I do to it?
You are added to the waiting list Special Agent. I want to meet and talk to you about your rides in Eastern Europe. I'm Turkish.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #765
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
You are added to the waiting list Special Agent. I want to meet and talk to you about your rides in Eastern Europe. I'm Turkish.
Thanks!

I poasted my most recent ride from Bulgaria to Portugal this past August. If I make it we can discuss in more details, if not feel free to PM me with your questions.