User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #871
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,849
Laugh

Hey is there a "special guest appearance" List if so put me on it.

I'll be riding though the area and since it looks booked I might have to squat on someones camp spot.

I don't think it will be hard to find refreshments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #872
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
What happened to the introductions? I was hoping to read about some of you folks that have been there a few times or more and some of your better memories of this rally.

Since I'm asking for introductions I guess I should introduce myself.

I learned to ride on dirt many, many, many moons ago before there was such a thing as riders training. "I learned with the old style intruction "this is the throttle, here's the brake, this is the front brake don't touch it, here's the clutch and the shifter - One down, four up, let's go."

In my 20s I left the dirt behind and ventured out on a new passion of motorcycle touring. Ahhhhhh what a grand time that was for about 20 years but I started yearing for the dirt again. I bought myself a Honda XR100 and spend just about every weekend of riding season out on it for about 10 years or more. I went back to street riding but it was ho hum so I needed something to get me excited about riding again. That brought me to dual sport riding so I could combine the things I enjoy. First I bought an F650GS and decided that was great for pavement and super easy gravel/dirt roads. I thought a smaller bike was in order so a DR200 was added to the garage.

With all that you would think I would be a decent rider but I still do more falling down than anything else. I take my time and enjoy thing things to see along the way.

Yes I know Death Valley is the desert and there is sand in the desert but I have to tell you I HATE sand. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622716 I know, no whining. I intend to make sand my favorite.

OK the rest of you, tell us about yourselves and your riding. I need some good reading material while I wait for March to get here.
excellent intro sherry. we all have common interests, love of the outdoors and bikes...........and can't have only 1 bike..

Quote:
Yes I know Death Valley is the desert and there is sand in the desert but I have to tell you I HATE sand. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622716 I know, no whining. I intend to make sand my favorite.
not too far from camp, there is a sandy road. we can get some practice there. you'll be fine in sand. after the first few runs, you'll start liking it....

Quote:

OK the rest of you, tell us about yourselves and your riding. I need some good reading material while I wait for March to get here.
ok folks, brung it. no need to be embarrassed, whether in the forum or on the trail.....it's a noobs rally. what else could go wrong!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #873
Mikey113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

damn mikey........riding from home...hardcore and true to the adv form

congrats on the klr.. and hope you make the cut.
Me too, I was on the KLX250 last year... brought some wood... was well liked (nobody pressed charges)... helped a broke bike home... am I helping the "make the cut" fight??? Seriously though, I kept looking in the West forum and before I knew it the list was full since this ride was moved to the Annual Rally forum. Then I debated on signing up since it was Easter weekend. Well here I am, make some room and let's have a blast.

Owyhee Ride Report click
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #874
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
You are IN, waiting list that is.
Cool! Not that I want to see anyone drop out...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #875
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
Hey is there a "special guest appearance" List if so put me on it.

I'll be riding though the area and since it looks booked I might have to squat on someones camp spot.

I don't think it will be hard to find refreshments.

hi peter, only list we have is on page 1. sign in, it will be great to see you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey113 View Post
Me too, I was on the KLX250 last year... brought some wood... was well liked (nobody pressed charges)... helped a broke bike home... am I helping the "make the cut" fight??? Seriously though, I kept looking in the West forum and before I knew it the list was full since this ride was moved to the Annual Rally forum. Then I debated on signing up since it was Easter weekend. Well here I am, make some room and let's have a blast.
mikey, seriously you did last year's event a big favor and more than your fair share. was it the dead 950 u took home? is so, bike had a hole in one of the valves. james wants to come again this year.

don't think if will be a problem. good chance you'll make the cut mikey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Cool! Not that I want to see anyone drop out...
no worry brian. the dates are still too far from today that people just threw in empty chairs to hold their spots.

by next month when i start collecting $, we will know who are solids. that said, if you're on the waiting list or want to come, sign in immediately. all participants must be registered.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #876
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Should us stand-byers wait until we're officially on the list to sign up on rides?
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #877
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
Introduction

I started riding on a French motorized bicycle called a Solex when I was about 14. Next bike was a Yamaha DT-1 eventually stripped for dirt riding. Raced in the SoCal desert in the late 60's early 70's on a variety of bikes, but predominately on a 250 Yamaha. That was when you learned everything the hard way, and protective riding gear consisted of Levi's, work boots and a heavy cotton work shirt. A first aid kit was a tooth brush, whatever hard booze was left over from the night before, and, maybe, a bandage. In early 70's I decided finishing college was more responsible so I stopped racing. Went back to college at UCSB where I graduated from college.

My father was in the insurance business specializing in motorcycles and motorcycle dealerships. I was blessed with a ready supply of "salvage" when I was young so I was able to ride and owned many of the bikes of the period after repair. With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had most of them back. I would make a bit at the vintage bike auctions today, but I probably would keep them and ride 'em.

Fast forward about 20 years. I decided to buy a street bike after a divorce. I saw my daughter half time so I had time to start riding again. I bought a red BMW R1100RS, and it served me well for several years. I cycled a few street bikes through the garage after the R1100RS before a Buddy talked me into getting a dual-sport bike. I started with a DR650 which was very good for starting back up at a "mature" age. I really liked getting dirty again, and the back country touring we were doing. I replaced the DR 650 with a 2007 Husky TE 610 which I still have. (I still long for a mid-70's 250 cc two stroke Husky with a red and polished steel tank of course to take me back to the racing years. Maybe one day.)

I ride about 8 - 10 thousand miles a year, split pretty equally between the Husky mostly in the dirt, and my street bike - a Triumph Tiger 1050. I have bad habits to break due to the absence of instruction as a teenager, and much still to learn.

As my tag line says, my favorite ride is the one I am about to start. That pretty much sums it up.

Hope to meet you at PSR. Look for a blue and yellow TE 610 with the old fart behing the bars.

Cheers,

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #878
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
Ride Leaders

Hi Joel:

The Steele Pass loop Friday is full. I see a few veterans signed up who can ride the point so, as the ride leader, I will ride sweeper again. Will we be able to get gas at hot springs? If yes, I may send a couple five gallon cans for our group to make things a bit easier.

Like last year, I will help with rides Friday and Saturday. Conditions permitting, I would like to ride to Cerro Gordo. Still have not been there, and really want to do that ride. That is a ride we can call at PSR.

'06 Husky TE 610, '07 Triumph Tiger 1050, '93 ATK 605
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #879
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Should us stand-byers wait until we're officially on the list to sign up on rides?

i don't think it matters at this point, only once the partipant has paid in full only then it counts.

we will be adding more group rides coming for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthur View Post
Hi Joel:

The Steele Pass loop Friday is full. I see a few veterans signed up who can ride the point so, as the ride leader, I will ride sweeper again. Will we be able to get gas at hot springs? If yes, I may send a couple five gallon cans for our group to make things a bit easier.

Like last year, I will help with rides Friday and Saturday. Conditions permitting, I would like to ride to Cerro Gordo. Still have not been there, and really want to do that ride. That is a ride we can call at PSR.

thanks jack. the steel pass route is the most popular one, lots of good riding and sights to see. it will be real simple if we have fuel waiting at the springs. i already arrange with someone, he has a jeep and can only carry so much. for good measure, people still need to figure out how to bring extra fuel with them.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #880
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
the steel pass route is the most popular one, lots of good riding and sights to see. it will be real simple if we have fuel waiting at the springs. i already arrange with someone, he has a jeep and can only carry so much. for good measure, people still need to figure out how to bring extra fuel with them.
The Steel Pass loop is a bit misleading. The climb from The Springs to The Dunes is a long uphill run that can be very deep gravel (depending on conditions.) This part of the run results in a couple of things:

1) MPG goes out the window a LC8 will get less than 20mpg during this part if the run
2) BMW's need spoked wheels...the guys trying to run CAST wheels get towed back to camp..For my KTM the front tire needs 30psi
3) Flats...the groups going need to keep a pretty brisk pace as shite happens in the pass and time gets lost.
4) Fatigue...big breakfast and some snacks for the trail.

My first time doing this loop, we lollygagged and ended up running the back side of the loop at 90mph+ just to get back...

but it really is one of the best loops for a big bike in the area.....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #881
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
2) BMW's need spoked wheels...
+1

Didn't get towed back to camp, but had to put a tube in which then resulted in a cascade of subsequent problems for others (that gave me the tube). I'm still in debt to JoeFromSF, and that ended up being a very late evening (more like early next morning) arrival back to camp...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #882
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
My first time doing this loop, we lollygagged and ended up running the back side of the loop at 90mph+ just to get back...
And the second time you rode 90mph+ just because it's fun.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #883
Slacker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'd like to be added to the wait list for 3 nights of camping and food.
I'm not a n00b* on a bike or in the desert and will be on the plated BRP 650R.
Steve

* Or ADVrider

Slacker2 screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 12:59 PM
Slacker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #884
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
If I may add to an add, Steve would like to bring his xr 650r along with Steve (waiting #9) in Steves truck. Fri,Sat. meals. I am 167 with rv dry. Thanks.

baybueller screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 01:24 PM
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #885
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Slacker2, you are who I was referring to.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote