ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #1471
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer
 
headstaller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Norco, CA
Oddometer: 261
I am good with either one
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Nobody needs to have any concern about my brownies



I don't speak for anyone else
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #1472
Shockdoc
Adventurer
 
Shockdoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
doug, thank you.

we could have use a radio a week ago. we had like 27 riders and 3 trucks; yes, even after breaking it down to 4 groups, communication could still had been improved.

been wanting to get a radio now that we're doing long trips. will also one for the mex1k,

not familiar, so can you recommend a specific brands and model?


pablo, what are you using? deets pls.
Radio communication is such a vital piece of equipment. Kenwood,Icom,Vertex are what we use mostly. SCORE,BITD,Mex1K are all going to use VHF. For the bike you will have a HT in your backpack with a radio harness that attaches to the helmet, then to a PTT switch on the handlebars. I run both the Kenwood and Icom with no problems.
Joel.. I'll wire up your helmet and you can use my radio and harness/PTT for D.V. The least I can do for all your hard work putting this ride on. Give me a call and we will set it up.
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1473
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Radio communication is such a vital piece of equipment. Kenwood,Icom,Vertex are what we use mostly. SCORE,BITD,Mex1K are all going to use VHF. For the bike you will have a HT in your backpack with a radio harness that attaches to the helmet, then to a PTT switch on the handlebars. I run both the Kenwood and Icom with no problems.
Joel.. I'll wire up your helmet and you can use my radio and harness/PTT for D.V. The least I can do for all your hard work putting this ride on. Give me a call and we will set it up.
What do you recommend for speakers and mics? I haven't really gotten to the point of researching wiring the helmet up.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1474
Shockdoc
Adventurer
 
Shockdoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 47
Depends on the application, for the cup drivers I use gentex mic with a 3.5 jack for ear buds, semi custom and custom ear molds. Off road, I use different mics depending on the noise factor, IE Trophy Truck, sand car etc. again because of the noise factor,very rarely do I put speakers in, just really can't hear the speakers over the high db of a big motor or exhaust. On machines with less noise speakers and 3.5 jack get installed, you can actually back feed an iPod through the 3.5 jack to the speakers for music. Now...you have to remember that race radio communication is not the same as the other commercial kits on the market that people pick up from motorcycle shops. It's like saying "I need a tire for my bike", depends on the application and what you need it to do.
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #1475
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Depends on the application, for the cup drivers I use gentex mic with a 3.5 jack for ear buds, semi custom and custom ear molds. Off road, I use different mics depending on the noise factor, IE Trophy Truck, sand car etc. again because of the noise factor,very rarely do I put speakers in, just really can't hear the speakers over the high db of a big motor or exhaust. On machines with less noise speakers and 3.5 jack get installed, you can actually back feed an iPod through the 3.5 jack to the speakers for music. Now...you have to remember that race radio communication is not the same as the other commercial kits on the market that people pick up from motorcycle shops. It's like saying "I need a tire for my bike", depends on the application and what you need it to do.
I've been thinking about speakers in the helmet with the ability to mix in iPod & phone. My concern though has been whether it would be any good noise wise. Earbuds have been a thought, they're just a pain in the ass to deal with, I've got a set of Fuze molded earbuds and they work well on the highway.

My other concern with earbuds is filtering out ambient noise when I'm not running audio.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #1476
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
radidy O's

Hey Joel-

I use a Kenwood F6 HT (handy talky) HAM radio with 3 bands: 144, 220, & the 440 band.
Most common HAM radios for HT's use the 144 & 440 band.
reliable manufacturers for HAM radios, in my opinion are: yaesu, kenwood, Icom.
be sure if/when you purchase one, go with at least those two bands( 144 & 440) "dual band radios". My F6 is a triband and has been rock solid with all my 4X4 & dual sport shenanagins..
Check out the hamradio.com website- its for Ham radio outlet store. There's one there in Burbank off of Olive.


cheers,

Pablo
__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #1477
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Hey Joel-

I use a Kenwood F6 HT (handy talky) HAM radio with 3 bands: 144, 220, & the 440 band.
Most common HAM radios for HT's use the 144 & 440 band.
reliable manufacturers for HAM radios, in my opinion are: yaesu, kenwood, Icom.
be sure if/when you purchase one, go with at least those two bands( 144 & 440) "dual band radios". My F6 is a triband and has been rock solid with all my 4X4 & dual sport shenanagins..
Check out the hamradio.com website- its for Ham radio outlet store. There's one there in Burbank off of Olive.


cheers,

Pablo
www.hamcity.com is good too, they're based out of Culver City.


Pablo, about the fuel cans, would you prefer to use US spec or NATO cans? I'll make sure I have a few ready.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #1478
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
www.hamcity.com is good too, they're based out of Culver City.


Pablo, about the fuel cans, would you prefer to use US spec or NATO cans? I'll make sure I have a few ready.
Good question. I forget the pros & cons of each...
What would You use?


What has more capacity??

thanks,
Pablo
__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1479
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Yoo Mike!-
Yes- Velcro will be functioning

& I will set aside 12 gallons of fuel for when you & your gaggle of riders pass thru the Hot Springs on Sat.
Any octane specific fuel for your 12 gallons???


Looking forward to it!

cheers,

Pablo

91 por favor...Do you have a paypal addy...?...will prepay......
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #1480
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Good question. I forget the pros & cons of each...
What would You use?


What has more capacity??

thanks,
Pablo
I've used both. Lately I use hamcity as they seem to average a little cheaper and they're easier for me to get to if I have to pick it up in person (I work in downtown and live in Torrance).

FYI I run a Yaesu VX-7R, quadband radio that is water resistent. Dual receive so I can monitor two frequencies TX 50MHz, 144MHz, 222MHz, and 440MHz 5W 144/440, 0.3W 222, 1W 50. In the Jeep I run a Yaesu FT8800, 144 and 440 at 50W with dual transmit and receive (basically it's two radios in one box. I can simultaneously monitor both sides and flip between which one I"m transmitting on. As an added perk it will do cross-band repeat so I can hit it from my HT and push on the full 50W.


All of my radios are modified for race frequencies as well.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1481
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Good question. I forget the pros & cons of each...
What would You use?


What has more capacity??

thanks,
Pablo
Doh! I completely misread that question!


I prefer NATO cans. The cap on them seals much better. US Spec cans have a different mouth that can be more troublesome. YOu need to make sure ou have good gaskets and a way to close/open them (a Leatherman Wave works well as a tool).

They use different spouts. NATO cans are easier to pour cleanly straight from the can into a funnel.

Capacity is about the same. US Spec is 5 gallons while NATO is 20 liters (5.2 gallons).
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #1482
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Doh! I completely misread that question!


I prefer NATO cans. The cap on them seals much better. US Spec cans have a different mouth that can be more troublesome. YOu need to make sure ou have good gaskets and a way to close/open them (a Leatherman Wave works well as a tool).

They use different spouts. NATO cans are easier to pour cleanly straight from the can into a funnel.

Capacity is about the same. US Spec is 5 gallons while NATO is 20 liters (5.2 gallons).

THAT was funny!! So may I request the Nato flavor fuel cans? Thanks!
We'll know how many as we get closer to the event.

Thank You Sir!

73,

Pablo
__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #1483
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
91 por favor...Do you have a paypal addy...?...will prepay......
Heey Mike-

12 gallons of 91 octane fuel will be set aside for you for Saturday.
You can take care of me when I see you out there.

Thank You,

Pablo
__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #1484
GSequoia
Where are my tools?
 
GSequoia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 988
Cool. I'll make sure they're ready.

I just checked. I've got four good NATO cans ready. I'm pretty sure I also have a fifth as well, I'll have to try to find it between now and then (I really should clean the garage anyway).

BTW - I almost never use my radios at home but I can hit the 147.330 Big Bear and 146.385 Keller peak repeaters easily.
__________________
2005 KLR 650 A bit beat up but works just fine. Powered by really angry canaries.
1985 Suzuki GS700E Some assembly required
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...

GSequoia screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 01:39 PM
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1485
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Cool. I'll make sure they're ready.

I just checked. I've got four good NATO cans ready. I'm pretty sure I also have a fifth as well, I'll have to try to find it between now and then (I really should clean the garage anyway).

BTW - I almost never use my radios at home but I can hit the 147.330 Big Bear and 146.385 Keller peak repeaters easily.

from where to do hit the "machines" from???


cheers,

Pablo
__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014