User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
trevorf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
2-up on a BMW K1300R or S

Just like the title says...anyone have any experience with these bikes and two up riding?
I'm looking at purchasing one of them. Any thoughts from owners are appreciated.
Thanks guys,

Trevor
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,665
I hope the SO is small\petite. Not a lot of legroom back there and the seat isn't very accommodating. That said, I found more legroom as a driver on a k1200s than the k1200rs it replaced, which is better for passenger comfort and has bigger saddlebags, but the RS is tall and very top heavy, and not nearly as fast.

on the i-bmw forum, I know of one sasquatch sized guy who rode all over the country with his wife on the S, think his handle was cabnfvr; so your query may get more valid responses there.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,923
Better have a tiny passenger...

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Jman
a.k.a. FUglyK

Oddometer: 890
How far are you wanting to go in a day? For how many days? Size of rider and passenger? What bike are you coming off of?

We ride a 2009 K1300R, I am 6'2" 275lbs. She is 5'1" 110lbs. We can manage 600 - 700 km days for 5 or 6 days in a row. There isn't a whole lot of extra room but I don't feel cramped. Biggest drawback is the luggage space, or lack of. Every once in a while I would love a set of highway pegs so I could stretch my legs but it isn't a deal breaker. Next addition for me will be some sort of cruise control / throttle lock just to give the wrists a rest once in a while.

Like others have mentioned it is probably easier with a smaller passenger, my wife is very comfortable and even falls asleep on the back. A larger passenger might complain about leg space, I can't answer that for sure. Because my wife is so small she actually prefers this seat to a lot of other bikes because it is narrower and doesn't stretch her out as much across her hips etc..

Came off a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure, she HATED it. She LOVES the K bike. And you are never looking for more power!

Jman screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 09:25 AM
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
My wife like riding pillion on the K1300S much more so than on the R1200GS. We are both "stout" and never felt cramped.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
trevorf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
How far are you wanting to go in a day? For how many days? Size of rider and passenger? What bike are you coming off of?

We ride a 2009 K1300R, I am 6'2" 275lbs. She is 5'1" 110lbs. We can manage 600 - 700 km days for 5 or 6 days in a row. There isn't a whole lot of extra room but I don't feel cramped. Biggest drawback is the luggage space, or lack of. Every once in a while I would love a set of highway pegs so I could stretch my legs but it isn't a deal breaker. Next addition for me will be some sort of cruise control / throttle lock just to give the wrists a rest once in a while.

Like others have mentioned it is probably easier with a smaller passenger, my wife is very comfortable and even falls asleep on the back. A larger passenger might complain about leg space, I can't answer that for sure. Because my wife is so small she actually prefers this seat to a lot of other bikes because it is narrower and doesn't stretch her out as much across her hips etc..

Came off a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure, she HATED it. She LOVES the K bike. And you are never looking for more power!

Thanks Jman,
Ok I'm 5'10" 215lbs (naked) my wife is 5'4" 140lbs. We will once a year (this year planning on calif) go on a 6 or 7 day trip. We would average about 500kms a day.
Other than that would be day trips the odd over nighter. And me alone.
The bikes I'm coming off of but keeping are (don'y laugh) Suzukis, a 1980 GS750e and a 1983 GS 1100e both are in very nice condition and the 1100 is awesome for two up riding but is afterall 30 years old and it makes my wife nervous that one day we will break down. Although they are very reliable. I worry more about keeping them nice.
I'm not ready to buy a land yacht. Nothing new inspires me to shell out the dough. Believe me I have looked. But I love the R.
Is that a back rest on your bike?
Hope this helps, thanks,
Trevor
Here is a pic taken of my two bikes before me and my wife and my cousin and his wife took off for Banff AB and a 2400km trip. Not a single issue!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,923
Oh, I do so love a big GS11E...

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
Just like the title says...anyone have any experience with these bikes and two up riding?
I'm looking at purchasing one of them. Any thoughts from owners are appreciated.
Thanks guys,

Trevor
yeh got a k12s
tours 2 up well.
early ones had slippery seats
fixed now.
had it for nearly 8 years now
no complaints except for jerky around town
2up. but that's fi
the 13s would only be better

merry xmas.
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Jman
a.k.a. FUglyK

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
Is that a back rest on your bike?
It is a BMW soft bag, they make it in 2 sizes, that is the smaller one. It works pretty well for her but I wish it was a lockable hard case.

Given your sizes and riding style I think you'd be plenty happy on an R.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
trevorf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It is a BMW soft bag, they make it in 2 sizes, that is the smaller one. It works pretty well for her but I wish it was a lockable hard case.

Given your sizes and riding style I think you'd be plenty happy on an R.
Thanks guys,
I went into my bmw dealer today to ask some related questions to what I have heard on forums..nothing serious. Anyway my dealer doesn't have a R on the floor. They would have to get one from another dealer. I told them that there is no way I'm buying one or commiting to one with out riding one.
So now they are looking at ways of getting one for me to ride.
I'm getting closer!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,095
I have a K1300s and my G/F likes the pillion accommodations a lot. I took her on my Street Glide, which has a bigger seat and less cramped pillion accommodations and she did not find it nearly as comfortable as my BMW.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
mikke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
just my 2 eurocents on the topic.

Hi,
I have only been on one somewhat longer 2-up ride with my K1300R this last summer (with the gear in the picture).
Anyway I wanted to comment specifically on the luggage space, riding 2-up.
I´m some 5'10" and the better half, she is 5'7". To be honest there is not too much room to move around on the seat with all the storage room we have, either. We have always had the passenger comfort seat on the bike, hard to say if it helps or not, as opposed to the stock seat. Anyway she can sitt still far longer on the bike then I want to ride. Or the bike has mileage until empty. So we survive anyway quite well.
As for storage. I do not like the BMW original balloons at all (too small and too grey). So I got Kappa side panniers 2*33l and an old Givi top case of 52l. On top of that we had a 13l tankbag. All in all 131l of storage for a one week ride mounted on the bike :) With tents and sleeping bags included in our gear. So the passenger due to the Kappa cases had in practice no possibility to change seating position. Maybe if she was longer it might have even been better (for her). As for me, I had little bit more room to move around on my part. We did only a couple longer riding days, but there was no problem with that (some 500km/310miles).
I have never driven the S version, anyway I feel for me that the more upright riding position in the R model is a big plus. And of course the R model is much prettier!

mikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 593
OP, your beautiful old Zooks are just plain wonderful. Seeing them brought a smile to my face, and I'm sure they brought a smile to many other faces.

I have had in my stable for many years a mint 1983 CB1000 Custom. My SO won't allow me to sell it. Newer bikes come and go from the garage, but the old girl stays. Doesn't matter what I get, the SO always insists we take the CB if any real distance is going to be covered.

Your statement, "Don't laugh" is quite unnecessary.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
trevorf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
OP, your beautiful old Zooks are just plain wonderful. Seeing them brought a smile to my face, and I'm sure they brought a smile to many other faces.

I have had in my stable for many years a mint 1983 CB1000 Custom. My SO won't allow me to sell it. Newer bikes come and go from the garage, but the old girl stays. Doesn't matter what I get, the SO always insists we take the CB if any real distance is going to be covered.

Your statement, "Don't laugh" is quite unnecessary.
Hey thanks man! I love my old bikes. I'm just looking for a new bike to add to the garage. My wife wants me to sell one if I;m getting a new bike.
I told her we could sell her Bandit! Lol...
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,728
Quote:

Today I found this bike! Can you tell me if it's a crazy sports monster if you push th throttle or it can be civilized on the daily urban commute?

I sold my KTM and I'm looking at several different options.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote