User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #1
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
My observations on new frame vs old frame Harley Touring

I just sold my 2007 Road Glide with the pre-'09 frame, 5 gallon gas tank, 96" 6 speed and purchased a used 2013 Road King.

There has been much said about how much better the newer '09 up frames are so I thought I would chip in my observations after owning both.

My 2007 handled almost as good as the 2013, and I think it might have ridden a little softer. The 2013 handles a little better though, and really sticks to its line. I was able to unsettle it a couple times leaned over and hitting some uneven road but it bobbled and settled right back in. My 2007 hardly ever presented any wobble. I credit the Dunlop Elite 3 tires with much of its handling characteristics.

The 103" Engine on the Road King is nice but not that much more powerful that I can tell but gets up to 60-70 a tick or two quicker, which is expected. I got up to 105MPH in a straight and it might have had a little more but I ran out of room. The 2007 96" I was up to 110 indicated once.

The biggest difference I noticed is in the transmission. Sixth gear is now usable and you will seek it out. I found myself shifting into 6th at 50-60mph and on the Road Glide 6th was hardly ever used unless going at least 70mph.

So, in summary, I love the 6 gallon tank, the trans, and the open cockpit of the 2013 Road King. I hate the stock seat. It will go soon for a C&C solo. The 103 engine is nice, ticks a little on the top end, but is smooth and sounds great.

The 2007 Road Glide handled great, was comfortable, and did 98% of what the Road King did. So, if you ever wonder if all the hype is true...in a way it is, and in a way it ain't. The best value would be to find a 2008 touring bike with the 6 gallon tank and older frame as most are seeking the 2009 up.

Any questions?

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #2
pmc123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I wish they would put the balanced engine (a la softtail) into the touring line.

or better yet, the vrod engine.

the vibes are stupid.

I rented a something-glide and driving around the city, I thought it was going to shake itself apart.

The 103 engine still feels gutless to me. Tested a CVO road king (I think) - so much better than the stock 103. But dat price.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #3
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc123 View Post
I wish they would put the balanced engine (a la softtail) into the touring line.

or better yet, the vrod engine.

the vibes are stupid.

I rented a something-glide and driving around the city, I thought it was going to shake itself apart.

The 103 engine still feels gutless to me. Tested a CVO road king (I think) - so much better than the stock 103. But dat price.
Yes, the counterbalanced softail engine is smoother at idle compared to the rubber mount engines in the touring bikes, but the rubber mount is smoother riding down the road at higher rpm's. The bouncing around at idle is intentional, and after not very miles it seems normal, and other bikes feel weird. It's all in what you're used to I guess.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote