Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
GodfatherofSoul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
What's with the disappearance of passenger seats?

They've been getting smaller and smaller on sport bikes and now some models are released without even a possibility of a passenger getting on the back. I haven't been riding long and maybe this was a trend in the past, but I can't imagine never wanting to give someone a ride.

Something like a BMW 9T would have to be a third bike to be in my stable.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
i think most manufacturers are now targeting and wanting the girl to ride her own bike now...

Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 6,200
My bike didn't come with one and I'm happy with it.

They are much more fun without a passenger and I think the bike makers save some money too.

Passenger pegs and a seat are available but are lots of $$$
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
SZRimaging
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
They've been getting smaller and smaller on sport bikes and now some models are released without even a possibility of a passenger getting on the back. I haven't been riding long and maybe this was a trend in the past, but I can't imagine never wanting to give someone a ride.

Something like a BMW 9T would have to be a third bike to be in my stable.
Since I have been riding (2008), I have had exactly zero people on the back of my bike. And that is just fine by me. If I didn't want a place to put luggage, I would be quite happy going to a single seat cowl on the back, but that is just me.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,421
The new Vulcan 650s may be targeted at lady and beginner riders, but I still want one...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,742
My wife likes to go and fit on my TU250 (long seat on that bike) but does not fit on my SR400.
Not many new mid size bikes she would get on.
Time was every bike would do, from a cb350 on up, plus a long flat seat allows bigger and smaller riders to move around and fit a wide range of rider sizes.
They also flipped up for easy battery access and glove storage.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
SZRimaging
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
The new Vulcan 650s may be targeted at lady and beginner riders, but I still want one...
With the ergo fit stuff Kawi is doing on the Vulcan 650, it's safe to say they want all riders. Personally, I think it is an awesome idea, and I hope it catches on with more bikes.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
rut3556
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I don't "do" passengers!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
haggis mctavish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
here in Queensland Australia, the standard road tax is approx. 450 dollars per year.

If you take your passenger seat and pegs off this reduces to 220 dollars per year, due to decreased third party insurance liability.

So it makes sense financially.

Personally it makes me cringe when I see a Ducati or similar with the young female passenger with her backside up in the air clinging on like grim death while the rider travels at warp factor speed presumbably in an effort to impress.

A passenger on a gold wing or similar fair enough, other bikes leave the pillion at home.

cheers
haggis mctavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,123
Damn, what is up with this thread? Just in the last 5 years I've given rides to 11 women that I can think of right off the top of my head. No squidding, both geared up fully, no crazy riding, just 2 people having fun. This was on my SV1000N, Ninja 500 and GSX650F...no touring bikes here. They handled it just fine.

Hell the very first date my GF and I went on 3 years ago was on the back of my bike. She loved it and said it was like a 3 hour long hug at 60mph. We still ride 2up even though she can ride her own.

Every bike I have or will get in the future absolutely has to have the option to take a passenger.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,742
You can also strap cargo on where a person would go.
The TU250 even has a rack to replace the back seat part.
I did long trips in the past with a pile o stuff on the back of the seat.
No need to buy racks and luggage.
If you have a 2 inch square bit way above the back wheel with nothing around, what use its that at all?
Its a style thing, bikes have to look like Harleys, or race bikes, with not a lot in between. That is what sells.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
fecundity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
The ever shrinking seats are a mystery to me. To me they just don't look good and not being able to ride two up on a street bike is just lame. I agree there is a whole lotta fun to be had just riding around sharing the motorcycling experience with a passenger.
fecundity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,334
The back seat on my bike is generally reserved for my 6yr old son, and he loves riding on the bike with me.

I no longer have the Connie, but he rides in style on my Victory every chance he gets. When I pick him up from school on a nice day the first thing he asks me is if I brought the motorcycle, if I say yes then he jumps up and down full of excitement.

You can see his new helmet strapped to the passenger back rest in this photo. My wife rides the Shadow 750 next to it, but also enjoys riding pillion on mine when the opportunity arises.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
It's all about style and image. Next, they'll make convertibles that I'm too tall to drive with the top up. Oh wait, they already do.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 241
Are the few bike with abbreviated pillion really bothering you that much?

You no like, you no buy.

9T no good,? Then get a 1200R, or RS, or RT, or GS, or ST, or C, or S, or... etc. Etc.

99 bikes out of 100 I see on the road have only the rider on board. Yet vast majority of bikes sold have pillions. And people still complain.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote