Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #46
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
I doin't think I saw a reference to this article in this thread yet. It's from Hell For Leather about the Suzuki Inzuma:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...i-inazuma-250/

And I was just reading about the new Honda CB500 series, and the fairingless model looks about like this smaller Suzuki. Both look good to my geezerish self.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #47
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,413
While most people have a negative opinion of the Suzuki GW250, I am eagerly anticipating it's arrival. I do like the TU250, and have came so close to buying one so many times. But in the end, it's tube type tires and lack of a centerstand prevented me from doing so. I would have to find some way to carry a jack, and all the tools to remove and replace tires and wheels with, plus extra tubes.

Yes the GW is a completely different bike. But I have also owned both a Ninja 250 and a Ninja 500 since '07. I loved both bikes, other than the fairings. But the 250 was just too small (I heard the GW might be bigger) and I needed bar risers on it to reduce arm, shoulder, and neck pain. I then traded it for the 500, which was even more uncomfortable than the 250 (possibly because it was bigger, and it was a longer reach for the bars, which were also too low) I put bar risers on it as well, but they were not enough. As much fun as it was to ride, anything much over 20 miles was very painful. I sold it too. My next step for a sport type bike was going to be a supermoto (I have no problem with the dual sport riding position). But then I saw the GW250. No fairing, and it looks like it might have higher bars. It also looks like it has conventional bars, which could be replaced with higher ones if necessary. So it just might be the sportbike I've been looking for. I will definitely wait until it arrives and check it out before buying anything else.

As for it's displacement, the Ninja 250 had plenty of power for the local curvy mountain roads. A 500 would be nice, but I am not interested in a Honda, other than the CB1100, which is currently out of my price range. And besides I like small bikes. I have been to the top (ZX11, YZF1000, Goldwing 1500) and am on my way back down. I put over 20,000 mostly freeway miles on a Rebel 250, and close that many on an XT225. The Rebel was cramped, the XT has been fine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #48
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

After some 51 years of riding motorcycles I can say that I enjoy riding period. And that includes smaller bikes. I've had a whole range of motorcycles and many have been dual sports including a Yamaha XT225, Kawasaki KLR250 and KLR650, Suzuki SP500, Honda XL350, two Yamaha DT-250s, a Bultaco 125 Lobito, etc, etc. A 250 GW250 would do me just fine at this time in my life. Also road a 500 Ninja for a few years and liked it fine. Two Harleys (Sportsters), a BSDA500 twin, a Royal Enfield 500 Bullet, and a bunch of the Japanese big four. I'll keep riding till I'm too old to ride safely.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #49
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,653
2013 Suzuki GW 250

Suzuki is jumping into the 1/4 liter game. A +400 pounder with styling that resembles the B-King. The article I read says it's to compete with the Honda CBR250 and the Ninjette 300. Some how I think they missed the mark. Wasn't the B-King a flop? Personally, I love the TU 250 and I think sales are doing well for that model. Is there room in our market for this bike? Do you want one? What say all you minimalist touring FF's

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/639/14...13-Lineup.aspx
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
That front fender is the worst I've ever seen...........

I like all the choices, more people motorcycling is a very good thing. Besides small bikes are FUN.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #51
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

I feel your pain. I thought the B-King was fugly. So did everyone else. I've never seen one out on the road. So why would Suzuki do this?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #52
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

I see my post got merged. Hell, I searched Google and the page before posting. Should have known it wouldn't get by the FF's (fine folks) here. Carry on gentelmen.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #53
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

I am interested in this new 250, and I am far from a beginner. I also like the TU250. I think the GW250 looks way better than the B-King, which was kind of over the top to me. And the only "standard" 250 street bike Honda sells in the US is the Rebel. Kawasaki and Yamaha don't make nakid street 250s that they sell here either. The rebel is a good, solid motorcycle that is as reliable as a rock, but is physically quite small, and economical, but about as exciting as a rock too. The TU250 has the classic looks of the old street thumpers....like the 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet I rode for some years. Nothing wrong with the Ninja 250s (now 300 I hear) or Honda's 250 sports bike, but some of us don't want a full fairing.
I have not been without motorcycles since about 1961, and yet this GW250 interests me. That's because I allowed myself to rediscover the fun this old geezer can have on smaller motorcycles. Granted, most of my smaller motorcycles have been dual sports (KLR250, XT225,etc), but I could do just fine on a 250 street bike like this GW250 (or the fine TU250). On the island of Hawaii where I now live this bike would probably do just fine. I only ride solo any more, and we don't have freeways here either. The main highways are posted 55mph. Gas prices are always high here and a big road burner, apart from being overkill here, doesn't stretch a gallon very far.
So I think this would be a good motorcycle for my every day transportation. In my case another big plus is that the only big four Japanese motorcycle dealer within about 125 miles (this is the Big Island of Hawaii) is a Suzuki dealer in Hilo about 13 miles away. The Honda/Kawasakai/Yamaha/Victory/KTM dealer is in Kona on the other side of the island. There is also a Harley-Davidson dealer there.
My cons on this bike? The same as my cons are on almost all modern motorcyles (exception--the Royal Enfields): no kick starter as a backup, no center stand.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Another contender: Not mentioned in the 'naked' catagory is the Yamaha-Star. Nice little bike with feet foreward cruiser stance if that is acceptable to you.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...9/0/specs.aspx
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #55
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the correction. I was unaware of that. It used to be just bthe Agility models were made in China. The Chinese made ones also have the two year warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Agility City, Super 8, and Like are also made in China of the stuff that
we get.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #56
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, the Yamaha. It's been around quite a while too. It's a really good motorcycle also with a nice v-twin engine. It's a cruiser and not a standard. The Rebel is also a cruiser. Honda used to sell the 250 Nighthawk in the US which was a standard. I like the flatter bars on the newer Yamaha's.
But I neglected to mention another interesting 250 street standard. That would be the Hyosung GT250. It's a very sporty v-twin engined motorcycle without a faring (but is also available fully faired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Another contender: Not mentioned in the 'naked' catagory is the Yamaha-Star. Nice little bike with feet foreward cruiser stance if that is acceptable to you.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/...9/0/specs.aspx
Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #57
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Thanks for the correction. I was unaware of that. It used to be just bthe Agility models were made in China. The Chinese made ones also have the two year warranty.
Kymco is a bit special when it comes to Chinese built bikes since they
don't outsource to some other factory like Piaggio does, they have their
own there.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #58
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,413
The TU250 is a great bike with one major shortcoming. Tube type tires and no centerstand. To me this makes it unsuitable for anything but running around locally, within cell phone range and within range of a friend with a truck. The GW250 has tubeless tires, so if you can manage to load it down, it should be suitable for touring. It appears to be the only 250 that is. The TU250, Rebel 250, and V-Star 250 have tube type tires and no centerstands (though the Rebel can be improvised, unfortunately not many riders are small enough to fit on it), the Ninja and CBR have very uncomfortable riding positions, nice for a 100 mile ride, but not 500 miles a day. The GW250 looks to have much more sane ergos, and if it turns out to be comfortable enough, would make an excellent small touring bike. I have no idea what is taking Suzuki so long to announce a price and get them to dealers, since they have already been sold in other markets. My local dealer is going to call me as soon as they find out anything. I need to get this one right, I have recently bought and sold 2 bikes and a scooter because they didn't work out.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #59
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,091
Bad move. Its a mini cross between the Gladius and the B-king. Ugly. And on top of that, over weight.

Honda has a winner with the CBR250F, and it seems so does Kawasaki with the EX300. Even the EX250, any generation, seems better than this GW250.

The TU250 seems pretty nice, to me, but being in California I've never seen one in real life.

I wonder if Yamaha will bring a 1/4 liter road bike to the US? I wonder if they will put in a bench warmer - substitute like the GW250 or something else?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #60
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 775