Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #31
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers
I had the same thing - they were looking for "Scott" and once I told them that this was no longer Scott's number, put the number into the do not call registry, called Verizon and told them to stop robot calling the number (apparently Scott was past due on his cell phone bill to the tune of $642 - my provider is t-mobile and I haven't had Verizon for almost 6 years) the calls dropped off. I haven't had one for weeks - but from some of the calls Scott must have been a real winner of a person.

I got the impression that Scott must have owed a lot of people money. Now I am sure of why my ex-wife changed her number every couple of months; to avoid calls from her creditors.

I still occasionally get that annoying scam call from Seattle telling me I have won a cruise - starts off with a loud fog horn - very annoying, but at least I don't have long to wait to know who is calling. I sure wish somebody would shut those guys down.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #32
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I had the same thing - they were looking for "Scott" and once I told them that this was no longer Scott's number, put the number into the do not call registry, called Verizon and told them to stop robot calling the number (apparently Scott was past due on his cell phone bill to the tune of $642 - my provider is t-mobile and I haven't had Verizon for almost 6 years) the calls dropped off. I haven't had one for weeks - but from some of the calls Scott must have been a real winner of a person.

I got the impression that Scott must have owed a lot of people money. Now I am sure of why my ex-wife changed her number every couple of months; to avoid calls from her creditors.

I still occasionally get that annoying scam call from Seattle telling me I have won a cruise - starts off with a loud fog horn - very annoying, but at least I don't have long to wait to know who is calling. I sure wish somebody would shut those guys down.

On the last round of rapid-fire calls, I gave in and answered one. There was a sorta shy gal on the other end. I told her that Christina no longer owned the number and all the calls were becoming harassing. She actually sounded sympathetic! It seems to have done some good as well, as I've only had one this week and it appears to be from a different party (been with me since day one). They leave messages asking me to call them back. I think I'm gonna make up a tragic story about my new friend Christina...eaten by wolves or sommat. Poor, sweet Christina...always feeding the strays. She will be missed.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #33
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,433
I think this happens with individual phone #s, it can't carrier related, other than the past due bill issue.
I rarely get wrong calls.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
I always get great service inside Mother Frances. If you work at Jville, I have no idea.
Thanks! I do work in Jacksonville, and pretty much only AT&T and Verizon have reliable service inside the hospital. Outside the others work ok, but too few towers, and they are too far away to penetrate the walls. The other options all seem pretty good if they meet your specific needs however. I will definitely keep my eyes open in the future if my needs or location ever change.

Which EPIC module to you work on? Obviously, we are gearing up for Willow here in the pharmacy.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #35
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Thanks! I do work in Jacksonville, and pretty much only AT&T and Verizon have reliable service inside the hospital. Outside the others work ok, but too few towers, and they are too far away to penetrate the walls. The other options all seem pretty good if they meet your specific needs however. I will definitely keep my eyes open in the future if my needs or location ever change.

Which EPIC module to you work on? Obviously, we are gearing up for Willow here in the pharmacy.
I work with your Professional Billing team. I actually work for Epic (the software vendor), but have spent about a year down there. I was part of the first go-live in October - not much changes for the Professional Billing in December (except that now rounding charges are coming through EpicCare Inpatient) - so I'm not down there this week. Good luck with the go-live! You certainly have an excellent IT group helping to configure and test the software well.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #36
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,129
I spoke with a MetroPC store and for $80.00 they will unlock my IPhone and for $50.00 I get unlimited talk, text and low data... Up to $70.00 for the same plus 5g of data and ability to tether to the laptop.

Any feedback on their service? Boostmobile?

I have fucking had it with AT&T's prices
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #37
RxZ OP
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
I work with your Professional Billing team. I actually work for Epic (the software vendor), but have spent about a year down there. I was part of the first go-live in October - not much changes for the Professional Billing in December (except that now rounding charges are coming through EpicCare Inpatient) - so I'm not down there this week. Good luck with the go-live! You certainly have an excellent IT group helping to configure and test the software well.
Thanks for all the hard work! From what I hear, the first go-live was pretty successful with not too many bugs. That comes from planning and hard work. I was not affected much by wave 1, other than someone somewhere (or all of us) forgot that pharmacy admin would need access to all the revenue and billing stuff. It was somewhat scary the first day we went live when our old reports said we had no charges billed for the weekend (almost 100,000 dollars of revenue last ). They got it figured out quick though!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I have an even better plan - the $100 for 1100 minutes that last one year. Of course, those are only talk minutes, no data (about a month ago they stopped allowing email on non-smartphones, but that access sucked anyway - very unreliable). If all you need is a phone for occasional voice comms, then a $12 Nokia feature phone and their prepaid minutes work. I use about 100 minutes a month.

That aside, I also bought a smartphone - a Samsung Dart (Android) at Fry's for $100 and I have the $30 100 minute/5GB plan you mention. I bought it because I was buying a house and I needed to access my email during the day (employer doesn't let employees access GMail on company network). That worked while, especially at the end when I was closing.

Now I don't really need the data plan anymore - I can wait until I get home to access email, nothing crucial comes over it now. I don't need web access either. So after this month I just won't buy any more minutes/data. What I will do though is set it up with VOIP because t-mobile has poor coverage here at my house. I will probably also take the SIM from my feature phone and put in the smartphone.

One thing about t-mobile wifi calls; they count against your minutes - unless you get a different VOIP app. If you use the built-in WiFi calling it uses your minutes.
I actually have the $100/1k mins/1yr plan for my spare phone as well--the best part is that after the first year you only have to add $10 to keep all your minutes alive for another year. I'm in for somewhere around $120 for 4+ years after getting a 'promo' mid-year that gave me a few free minutes and another free year.

WiFi calls from T-Mobile's built-in app count against minutes on prepaid, but on postpaid plans there's a free option you can enable in My Account that gives free WiFi calling.

If you get a VoIP app like Groove IP, which goes through Google Voice, calls are free over WiFi and "free" over mobile data (they use about a meg a minute). That app worked great on my Nexus 4, but I broke it crashing. It works OK on my el cheapo Exhibit 2.
der_saeufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Yes, I recently signed up for an unlimited data/voice/text plan on the Verizon network for $100 a month. It is not directly through Verizon. I am very satisfied with the service.

PM me if you want the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Is it a secret? Why can't you just post it?
Because of my relationship to the vendor and [the spirit of the] adv rules. Why can't you send a PM? It's no gimmick or scam if that's what you are worried about.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:41 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #40
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56
Ported my number from AT&T tonight to StraightTalk. Surprisingly painless, a couple of minutes without service then
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #41
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 56
Sorry..phone works fine, fingers on small keyboard not so much.

I will keep my AT&T account active for now and see how I get along with StraightTalk, but @ $45.00 I really don't see how I can go wrong.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #42
Chad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Us too.

After learning of Straight Talk via this thread, I bought an Iphone 3GS from Craigslist and set it up for my wife. The service is excellent so far as we can tell. It has been about a month. I do not recommend an Iphone which has been upgraded to the newest IOS (6.0.1) for this endeavor, however. They seem to have locked down the APN settings with the new version and getting data to work required a call to Straight Talk. After not being able to input the info manually, they directed me to a URL of theirs which pushed the correct setting in to get data. Never did get MMS (multi media messages) set up due to the locked down issue.

On the flip side, I recignized the problems to be IOS induced and tried the same thing with an Android phone (HTC One X). Set up took 10 minutes tops and everything is flying. Data is also coming down 3 times as fast as on the Iphone per various speed tests. On this phone i left the proxy blank as was the recommendation of numerous android forums. I assume the proxy was throttling it. Have not bothered trying adding the proxy info in to my APN settings to verify and I cannot access the ones on the Iphone (grrrrrrrrr...)

I am currently looking for a Galaxy S2 or One X in excellent condition for her, then the Iphone is history. Neither of us likes IOS in the least. I guess we are just too accustomed to Android.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 3,113
Net10

http://www.net10.com/phones.jsp?next...sflash=YES&b=n

How is your experience with NET10 ?

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #44
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
http://www.net10.com/phones.jsp?next...sflash=YES&b=n

How is your experience with NET10 ?
I've been on Net10 now for a year using my semi-jail broken iphone and it's ok with no reason to change. I did for awhile have horrible service inside my house while there was antenna changes/upgrades going on nearby but it's back to normal. I'm using the 50 bucks unlimited plan and only use it as a phone and text because it's only semi broken and can't get the internet with it yet but I don't really need the internet on my phone. Later on when I get time I'll worry about it. Don't need any stinking contract plan!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: