ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
That lava must eat tires! how long do a set of shoes last over there?
If I get 500 miles out of a rear I'm happy, usually less.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
hiADV OP
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
My old F650 at a beach on the Southwest Side.
Nice GS, perfect bike for the island if you ask me. I'm guessing by "old" you don't have it anymore? You doing the Lava Butt ride? I had some business get in the way last minute so I'm not going to make it unfortunately. I'll be keeping an ear out for the next ride. Let me know if you hear of anything.

Oh,and here's a pic to keep on topic. Road to the Sea...

hiADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiADV View Post
Nice GS, perfect bike for the island if you ask me. I'm guessing by "old" you don't have it anymore? You doing the Lava Butt ride? I had some business get in the way last minute so I'm not going to make it unfortunately. I'll be keeping an ear out for the next ride. Let me know if you hear of anything.
I'll start off with them tomorrow for the East Hawaii stuff and then I plan to do the North stuff on Saturday, got to flip a coin on which bike to ride Sfront's 530 or my 200.... Maybe both!!!

The 650 was nice and comfortable and got great fuel economy but didn't have the suspension and was far too heavy for the rough.

Coming around R-1 on Mauna Kea with Mauna Loa coming into view:

Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
hiADV OP
Island Explorer

Quote:
I'll start off with them tomorrow for the East Hawaii stuff and then I plan to do the North stuff on Saturday, got to flip a coin on which bike to ride Sfront's 530 or my 200.... Maybe both!!!

The 650 was nice and comfortable and got great fuel economy but didn't have the suspension and was far too heavy for the rough.

Nice shot! How's the ride going?

I took the FJ out to R1 on Wednesday... great spot. I'll prolly take the KLX out there later this week.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Lava Butt was fun on the sections I rode, five guys from Oahu came 12 from east Hawaii and five more from the west side yesterday. A little drama on Mana rd. in the dark with a snapped chain, last guys got back to Hilo on the chase truck at about 10:00...

Here's a shot from Keanakolu Rd a few years back, I broke my arm in Mud Lane about an hour later....

Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,281
Dang. I don't have any riding pics from Hawai'i. I had an '87 DR200, then an '87 XL250R (I still have the XL) when I was an Active-Duty Marine at MCB Hawaii on Oahu '86-'89 (MCAS Kaneohe Bay back then).

I did most of my dirt riding up on the North Shore near Haleiwa, up in the hills. The Army had a training area up there that they opened to the public on weekends, accessible from the Kamehameha highway by a dirt road, across from the Banzai Pipeline.

I had a cheesy 110 camera at first, then a decent point-n-click 35mm later on, but I never took a camera with me riding.

(sigh)

So keep those Hawai'i photos coming, folks.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:57 AM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
hiADV OP
Island Explorer

Quote:
Lava Butt was fun on the sections I rode, five guys from Oahu came 12 from east Hawaii and five more from the west side yesterday. A little drama on Mana rd. in the dark with a snapped chain, last guys got back to Hilo on the chase truck at about 10:00...

Here's a shot from Keanakolu Rd a few years back, I broke my arm in Mud Lane about an hour later....
Man, I'm bummed I couldn't make the ride, sounds like it was a lot of fun. I need to get the skinny on all these places I haven't come across yet. I did stumble across Mud Ln a few days ago, funny you mentioned the road. Is that pic off of Keanakolu rd. or is that the "road"? I'll trade you all you can drink beers for a scouting ride sometime!

Mud Ln:

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:

Where is this "R1" road on Mauna Kea? hmmm.... Mud Lane.... I haven't been down THAT on my BMW yet! Can you still make it all the way down through the old cane fields to the road from Honokaa to Waipio Valley? Last time I tried, they had locked the gate on the northernmost access road.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
hiADV OP
Island Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Where is this "R1" road on Mauna Kea? hmmm.... Mud Lane.... I haven't been down THAT on my BMW yet! Can you still make it all the way down through the old cane fields to the road from Honokaa to Waipio Valley? Last time I tried, they had locked the gate on the northernmost access road.
I'm no expert and still trying to get the lay of the land myself but I think you might be referring to Mud Ln. When I took the road it dead ended into a man made cement barrier but before the dead end you can turn onto Cane Haul Rd. which takes you back out to Mamane st and Hwy. 240... a short distance to Waipio from there. Cool little loop through some nice vegetation. Again, I could be off base here, maybe Thumper can confirm.

Another shot from Mud Ln where it intersects with Cane Haul Rd:
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiADV View Post
Man, I'm bummed I couldn't make the ride, sounds like it was a lot of fun. I'll trade you all you can drink beers for a scouting ride sometime!
Watch it! I've been know to drink my weight in beer!!!! Best bet is to meet up someplace with Gasser and I and we can show you some east Hawaii stuff and then on another weekend some Hamakua stuff, riding is pretty awesome though a bit more restrictive than years gone by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo
Where is this "R1" road on Mauna Kea?
You can hit R-1 off the Mauna Kea Access Rd. just before the Nelson Onizuka Visitor's center or from the west side at the Kilohana Hunter Check Station just above the Girl Scout Camp off of Saddle Rd. On a street legal bike it is recommended you sign in (Please do) and on a dirt bike you need to get a FREE permit at DLNR either in Hilo or the Waimea Annex. We're into Bird Season now so most of us don't ride R-1 on weekends so we don't get the Bird guys upset.

Mud Lane has lots of single track off the forest roads for Mountain Bike Riding, it's pretty gnarly and tough but if you ride MTBs it's pretty Killer!!! PM me if you want the details.

There is a Hawaii Thread in Regional Forums, in the spirit of this being a Picture thread can we keep the questions there? CLICKER

And to Check the Pic Block, here is one from the East Side Trails:

Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
outlier
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Highway 340, Maui

A local establishment we stopped at during our west-to-east ride around the notorious ("Drive At Your Own Risk") Highway 340 in Maui:

IMG_0371

We were here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...ids=8219089915
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
A local establishment we stopped at during our west-to-east ride around the notorious ("Drive At Your Own Risk") Highway 340 in Maui:

Wow!!! I can't believe a Golfcart had the Juice to make that road!!!! Were you carrying a generator to keep the batteries charged?!?!?!?

Obligatory Hawaii Foto:

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #28
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
glad I found this. I was on the Big Island last March and wish I would have known about you. Almost rented a Harley out of Kona but would prefer a dual sport. We go over just about every year to visit as my mother and stepfather own a Mac tree farm near Naalehu. Have been aching to ride somewhere off the farm. I'll keep your info for my next visit.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
hiADV OP
Island Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
glad I found this. I was on the Big Island last March and wish I would have known about you. Almost rented a Harley out of Kona but would prefer a dual sport. We go over just about every year to visit as my mother and stepfather own a Mac tree farm near Naalehu. Have been aching to ride somewhere off the farm. I'll keep your info for my next visit.
Let me know when you get here and I'll get ya set up!

Let's see more pics!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
All taken on Kauai.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is online now   Reply With Quote