User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
ak_diane OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Denali Highway - lighting

Had a great trip on the Denali Highway last weekend, it was mostly sunny with about 20 minutes of an honest to god monsoon. I actually thought the road was in great shape compared to two years ago, pretty well packed, the intermittent rain helped keep the dust down, not too many people on it at all. I just had to share this shot of a lighting strike just ahead of me - I could actually see the smoke dissipating as I passed by. Thought about stopping, but then I realized I didn't have the protection of a faraday cage.

Maclaren Road video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDWH1tKGyo&feature=plcp
ak_diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,753
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you hit the road at a good time. Had quite a bit of lightening/thunder coming back from Dawson. I grew up with it but having been here 15 yrs it kinda freaks me out now.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
biker2hiker
4dirt

Oddometer: 102
cool shot

No worries ... haven't you ever heard that lightning NEVER strikes the same place twice? I've always wondered how someone, and who, figured that out? Is that a shot of McKinley?
biker2hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
ak_diane OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Just a random part of the Alaska Range, I didn't have any luck seeing Mt. Denali/McKinley on my way back.

I think that saying is a sick joke created by older brothers "Hey, go up on the roof and adjust the antenna. I know it's raining but it was hit last year and lighting NEVER strikes the same place twice. hehe"
ak_diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,522
WOW, lucky timing!

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Awesome photos! I think I'd have to have washed my riding suit thoroughly if I had seen lightning strike that close while I was on a bike, though...
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_diane View Post
Just a random part of the Alaska Range, I didn't have any luck seeing Mt. Denali/McKinley on my way back.

I think that saying is a sick joke created by older brothers "Hey, go up on the roof and adjust the antenna. I know it's raining but it was hit last year and lighting NEVER strikes the same place twice. hehe"
I had good luck this past year (june, 2012) viewing Denali from the Parks Highway (South viewing area).

Then...took the 4 hour bus ride within the park to the Eielson visitor center...and NO LUCK...Denali was (as is reported 70% of the time) NOT visible.

Here's what you missed:
Mt. McKinley (Denali)
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
ScooterboyII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
That's a thick lightening strike. When somebody gets struck by lightening up there, they probably just get vaporized, and their friends just think they got cold and moved down to the lower 48.
ScooterboyII is offline   Reply With Quote