Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
[feeler] recalibrated speedo ring for BMW G650X Series

All,

on the BMW G650 series the speedo has an error of over 10%. 120 kmh on my GPS meant something like 135kmh on the speedo. I found this to be very irritating. To solve this I had a friend of mine lasercut an new speedo rotor for the BMW G650X with 44 instead of 48 slots.

Later on I found on the Xchallenge you can set the speedo on a different wheel diameter (of the Xcountry to be precise) and make it spot on accurate. However, on the Xmoto and the Xcountry you can't, as it is already set on 17", and you have no smaller choice.

Just recently I had someone with an ABS equipped Xcountry test this speedo ring, and they proved to be nigh on perfect. Speedo error withing 2%, and the ABS still works flawlessly. Here's what they look like:

Left stock, right custom recalibrated ring.

The rings come in galvanized steel and wont rust. the first series (well "series", there were only 10 or 11 of them) have all been sold. My question to you all, are any owners of a BMW G650X interested in one of these. Price will be between $40,- and $50,- including shipping worldwide, depending on the amount I need to have made.

Interested? Please let me know and I could pull off a new series.

Max Kool screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 03:34 AM
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
sounds cool! doesn't that change the odometer/tripmeter/gas computer calculations, though?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

It does, actually it makes it more accurate.

(the little Beemer might be economic, but it does eggarerate a little)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,389
if that works on the f650gs bike your on to a winner. I'll take on if it fits

the f650gs bikes have a 17" rear, where the speedo sensor is so it should work, both bikes have a 130/80 R17 rear.

So its just the pcd of the holes and i can't see them being much different.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,389
Just checked the bike, front abs sensor is the same as the one in the pic but the rear one's different. Three hole mounting and it's not flat.

guess it won't work then
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
I am 90% sure the speedo calibration can be user set (you set the diameter of the tire in mm) somehow. That's on an x-Country. I would suppose a dealer may have the documentation on how to do this.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

It's a three options multiple choice, where the smallest option is already set on the Xco. And also on the Xmo you can't get low enough...

Which is very sad, it could have been so much simpler if you had a free choice.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
slide
A nation in despair

Ah, well, I"m lucky, it seems. The x-co of mine is extremely close. This 10% error reading fast is a general comment about other BMW Motorrad products. The story as told to me is that TUV demands that speedos never read slow so BMW calibrate the device to read on or fast with any conceivable tire. Thus the speedo reads fast for most tires.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Ah, well, I"m lucky, it seems. The x-co of mine is extremely close. This 10% error reading fast is a general comment about other BMW Motorrad products. The story as told to me is that TUV demands that speedos never read slow so BMW calibrate the device to read on or fast with any conceivable tire. Thus the speedo reads fast for most tires.
Only BMW has to adhere to the T.U.V. standards? I calibrated the speedometer on my K1200R by removing the needle and reinstalling it several degrees before zero mph thus it is accurate at 70 mph.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
It may only be an inconvenience when your speedo and odometer is off/reading 10-20% fast. But if your warranty is capped with a mileage limit, like the 36000 mile BMW base warranty, You just forfeited 3600 to 7200 miles of coverage if you ride a lot. So with that alone, it's deserving of repair. my $.02 P.S. keep me posted on the price and availability of your new reluctor rings, If you've got a good calibration worked out, I'm in for one. mike
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
Max Kool OP
Xtankteam™

Guys I'm sorry to tell you this speedo ring only fits the G650X series (Xmoto, Xchallenge, Xcountry), not the G650GS/F650GS single.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40
It may only be an inconvenience when your speedo and odometer is off/reading 10-20% fast. But if your warranty is capped with a mileage limit, like the 36000 mile BMW base warranty, You just forfeited 3600 to 7200 miles of coverage if you ride a lot. So with that alone, it's deserving of repair. my $.02 P.S. keep me posted on the price and availability of your new reluctor rings, If you've got a good calibration worked out, I'm in for one. mike
We had this discussion over in GS-land a few years ago. It seems that the odos are more accurate. I'd be curious if you checked yours against a GPS.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Not sure on the odometer accuracy yet. GPS and radar speed warning signs show my mph reads fast. I was thinking of resetting my instrument cluster to read for the 21 inch Challenge front tire. It's taller size (27.38" vs 26.08") would slow the MPH (and to ODO) by 5%. My dealer implies that I can "reset" display for the 17", 19" or the 21" sizes just like the Challenge can. When I get a spot of spare time I will confirm. mike
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
slide
A nation in despair

Thx. Also please confirm that the odo is accurate or not based on your measuring.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Max,

On the X Challenge, I changed the speedo setting from an 18" rear wheel to a 17" rear wheel and the speedo is bang-on GPS accurate.