Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Any fine writing instrument collectors out here?

My Boss has a vintage roller type Waterman pen. It is dark burgundy or brown on the barrel, and has all 18k gold accents which we believe are solid 18kg since all the (3) pics we have seen on it on the net say solid 18k gold. It is heavy. It looks just like the roller version of this fountain version.

He is wondering what is might be worth.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Unless he wants to sell it, what's it matter what it's worth?

If he does want to sell it, but it on eBay with a reserve set at his minimum price and let the market decide.

I know that's not a specific answer, but really, why is he trying to find out. FWIW, I had a Parker T-1 that I got at a pawn shop for $20 that I loved--and eventually it grew legs and walked away. It was worth way more than the $20 that I paid for it, but it didn't matter because I wasn't planning on selling it. Today, I use Fisher space pens, either an AG7 (the Spacepen) or an M4 ($7 at the exchange--bargain!) and I think that they're the best bang for the buck.

T-1:
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
My Boss has a vintage roller type Waterman pen. It is dark burgundy or brown on the barrel, and has all 18k gold accents which we believe are solid 18kg since all the (3) pics we have seen on it on the net say solid 18k gold. It is heavy. It looks just like the roller version of this fountain version.

I have that same Waterman fountain pen. I don't know what it's worth now, but it cost $300 when I got it around 20 years ago.

Mr. B screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 07:17 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 230
what about your tactical pen?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
I've got a couple of nice fountain pens but I'm not a collector - they cost a lot and the only thing that keeps value as poorly is a wristwatch...or maybe a motorcycle.

I have a Pelikan 800 that's very comfortable to write with and seems to hold a bathtub full of ink.

The downside today is that they no longer sell "permanent" ink for fountain pens - apparently too many ruined shirts!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
[QUOTE=

The downside today is that they no longer sell "permanent" ink for fountain pens - apparently too many ruined shirts![/QUOTE]

Check out Noodlers "Bulletproof" series. It bonds with the paper and is almost impossible to erase or wash out.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
If he does want to sell it, but it on eBay with a reserve set at his minimum price and let the market decide.
I've found that eBay works best when you can accurately describe your item. For example, using the correct search terms in the title, etc.

It appears that the OP doesn't know that much about these pens; there's a risk that if he decides to sell it on the bay, that somebody will scoop it up for next to nothing.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
Harsh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I own a Mont Blanc that retailed around $300. Never told anyone about the pen - Carr salesmen and consultants were the only people that could ID my pen. Never let anyone borrow my pen (Jerry Seinfield comedy) and would check for my pen about 100 times a day. Strictly keep it on desk at home now - less worry.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
what about your tactical pen?
Mine? I still have and use that thing! One of the only over $2 pens I ever bought that the kids didn't lose. I need them to find both my favorites the Retro 51s.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post

Update: I just checked eBay and I guess these are now collector's items. They're asking $500 for this. (It's a Waterman Le Man 100 fountain pen, BTW) I may have to convert my old pens into cash for farkles.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: