User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,134
Re use spokes?

It may sound like an odd (stupid) question, but here it goes.

I am going to tear down my Ural GU wheels and powdercoat the rims/hubs. I was originally going to replace all the spokes but after getting the price for replacements, I took a closer look at mine and decided that after a good cleaning they will be just fine.

Having never done spokes/wheels before I have to ask the question; Is it OK to re-use spokes and nipples?

I assume it is... but as they say.. "never assume anything".

thanks for any helpful and useful input.

-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Sure, with the price of spokes I always reuse them. My method of cleaning is to chuck them in a hand drill then use a wire wheel on a grinder while they're spinning in the drill.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
I never gave it a second thought, I needed to replace a rim and it was cheaper just to buy a rim and not the whole wheel. So I'm using my original parts inside the new rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
use some lube on the spoke nipples when you re install them so you get a good even torque on each spoke.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,285
Before taking the wheel apart, lay it on the bench and block it up nice and level, both rim and hub.. Thus if there is any factory offset, you will be a lot closer to 'true' when you re-lace it.

Look at the spokes for deep nicks. Look at the heads of the spokes and the bends where they come thru the hub. Replace the spokes that have cracking at the head and/or along the bend. I doubt that you will find any damage but now is the easy time to discover any. I re-use spokes all the time.

Chucking the spoke in a power drill for cleaning seems like a good idea. I dunno if I would get so aggressive as using a wire wheel? It might get caught and damaged somehow? Maybe start with some scotchbrite pads in your hand and go to the wheel if that isn't enough. Coat the clean spokes with some clear rattle can laquer if you want some extra shine. Keep any coating off the threads. If your Ural has special paint, coat the part of the spoke head that shows with your custom paint color. Paint a band of color around the spokes with long lasting sign enamel and tell everyone who asks that you got carried away with the detailing one afternoon. When you get it all trued up, pinstripe the rim before taking it out of the truing stand.