Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #46
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
First, congratulations on finding your bike.

I put a deposit on a 2009 RT on a Tuesday, wanted a color not in stock at the dealer but one was in the warehouse in New Jersey. That evening my wife wanted to know what color we were getting. Uh Oh! Not good. She picked the color from the website, I called the dealer, there was one left in the USA at a dealer in California, my dealer is in Atlanta. Within 24 hours it was on its way, got here within a week, I paid shipping. If Momma ain"t happy, well you know.

You should fight tooth and nail for the deposit to be returned on principal alone.

Enjoy the new bike.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #47
fastgpfred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
So, I am not gonna beg for it as I did choose to do business and make my deposit with them, but let me tell you, they are NOT someone you would want buy from. D.[/QUOTE]

Not to beat a dead horse (did that expression originate in TX?) but you choose to buy a bike from them that they didn't supply. You didn't choose to "give them cash". Don't beg, tell them firmly they will refund the deposit. Contacting BMW is OK. Depending on the size of the deposit, a letter from a attorney is good. Include the dealer name here to help other inmates make informed decisions.
fastgpfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
Timthai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
At the very least, insist that they credit your deposit against accessories or service. (Not that you would want to take your bike there for service after all that!)
I've had dealers offering to source a bike from another dealership if necessary to get my business, I think they could have done way more than they did, or offered to return your deposit earlier if they couldn't source a bike for you.
2011 Multistrada (gone to heaven RIP)
2010 Vulcan 900
Timthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #49
SpeedySteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Come to Tucson. Ironhorse had several GSAs in last week when I was in for some parts. They push a ton of bikes out of that store. You should be on a bike mate. You've sacrificed 3 bikes for an empty hand. By a one way ticket! Be adventurous!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #50
Harring10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Congratulations D!

I am sure you will soon forget the three months of misery in favor of all the years you will enjoy your new baby :-)

As to the security deposit, that's a no-brainer. If they had the bike and you delayed or later changed your mind, then they could make an argument that you cost them the sale to another buyer.

As it stands, they did not (as of the time you purchased) and maybe even still don't. Again, no-brainer. If they give you grief (depending on the amount), go the small claims route - you'll get the court cost back in interest! You may even be able to claim the additional shipping charges!

But again, congrats on the new ride. The Triple Black is a beauty for sure.

Last note, I keep hearing about all these 6'+ fellows saying the bike is perfect for them... Hell, I'm a whomping 5'10 and LOVE it's height! (that's w/the Ohlins and Heidenaus which even raised it a tiny bit).

All these damn tall people...
2012 Ducati Multistrada S Touring - Red
2000 RSV Mille R

Harring10 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:31 AM
Harring10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #51
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Hello everyone, this is an update picked up 13 GSA yesterday from Lone Star BMW and hauled it home in my truck, I am guessing thats a rarity, but got home and had no one to help me unload it, soooo..... I bet you are all about to cringe. I tried to unload it myself, everything was going until back tire started down ramp, It leaned toward me as I stepped off back of tailgate with a full tank of fuel, it was at that moment that I understood how heavy this bike is. As it fell on top of me all I could think of was it rolling upside down and off the back of truck onto concrete. I held it untill my strength gave out and it was time to let it go, as I let up on it expecting to see it roll out of truck and crash the aluminum valve cover shield caught on spray on bed liner and stopped it from falling. as it hung inches from disaster I ran and got 2 of my 70 year old nieghbors and a Kubota tractor. We tied a strap on top triple and lifted it up on tires andslowly rolled it onto concrete, so far I have only found a couple of small scratches. I am in much worse shape than the bike as I have a torn tendon/ muscle in upper chest from straining so hard to hold bike. I am going to Dr. this AM. I did ride it about 1 mile right before dark but that is all, it now has 5 miles on odometer.
Thank for everyones encouragement and well wishes, I am tough no sympathy wanted, but I have learned a valuable lesson. Ask for help before the disaster. Thanks be to GOD for our many blessings. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #52
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Hello everyone, this is an update picked up 13 GSA yesterday from Lone Star BMW and hauled it home in my truck, I am guessing thats a rarity, but got home and had no one to help me unload it, soooo..... I bet you are all about to cringe. I tried to unload it myself, everything was going until back tire started down ramp, It leaned toward me as I stepped off back of tailgate with a full tank of fuel, it was at that moment that I understood how heavy this bike is. As it fell on top of me all I could think of was it rolling upside down and off the back of truck onto concrete. I held it untill my strength gave out and it was time to let it go, as I let up on it expecting to see it roll out of truck and crash the aluminum valve cover shield caught on spray on bed liner and stopped it from falling. as it hung inches from disaster I ran and got 2 of my 70 year old nieghbors and a Kubota tractor. We tied a strap on top triple and lifted it up on tires andslowly rolled it onto concrete, so far I have only found a couple of small scratches. I am in much worse shape than the bike as I have a torn tendon/ muscle in upper chest from straining so hard to hold bike. I am going to Dr. this AM. I did ride it about 1 mile right before dark but that is all, it now has 5 miles on odometer.
Thank for everyones encouragement and well wishes, I am tough no sympathy wanted, but I have learned a valuable lesson. Ask for help before the disaster. Thanks be to GOD for our many blessings. D.
Hint for future unload:
Find a loading dock at a local office building...same height as truck...then down their ramp. No more "oh-geez" moments.

Congrats...pics please!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #53
johmap
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2013 GSA Lost

Congratulations on the new bike. Sorry about the accident at home. You will mend.

About the deposit. You are in TX and dealers cannot hold a deposit. I have placed deposits on bikes before and for various reasons was not able to complete the purchase at that dealership and had no problem returning my deposit. I once mentioned, to the deale, that he could not keep the deposit, if I did not purchase the bike. He looked around to see if anyone was litstening and agreed with me.

Be happy with the bike, but do not give up on getting your deposit back.

Get well soon.
johmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
HI am in much worse shape than the bike as I have a torn tendon/ muscle in upper chest from straining so hard to hold bike.
I hope you're okay. The GSA's weight and I have certainly met. Big Fat Heavy Pig.

Damn man.... Between Comstock and Medina.... Talk about the boonies. I drive between Houston and El Paso a lot. I just completed that journey again last Sunday. I've gone the sane I-10 route and the Insane Alt-90 route.

Alt-90 is crazy long for a non-interstate Highway, starts in Van Horn and I've personally experienced it all the way to Houston as Old Spanish Trail and Wayside Dr. It eventually becomes the Beaumont Highway... I want to ride it all the way to Louisiana one day. It's largely boring and uninteresting, but I think the parts near Alpine and such make it worth it. Though leaving El Paso, you gotta leave early to see the interesting stuff in the daylight, otherwise you get the Hills in the dark.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #55
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I hope you're okay. The GSA's weight and I have certainly met. Big Fat Heavy Pig.

Damn man.... Between Comstock and Medina.... Talk about the boonies. I drive between Houston and El Paso a lot. I just completed that journey again last Sunday. I've gone the sane I-10 route and the Insane Alt-90 route.

Alt-90 is crazy long for a non-interstate Highway, starts in Van Horn and I've personally experienced it all the way to Houston as Old Spanish Trail and Wayside Dr. It eventually becomes the Beaumont Highway... I want to ride it all the way to Louisiana one day. It's largely boring and uninteresting, but I think the parts near Alpine and such make it worth it. Though leaving El Paso, you gotta leave early to see the interesting stuff in the daylight, otherwise you get the Hills in the dark.
UPDATE, I have collar bone and couple ribs out, few trips to DR and all will be well, I live in Medina, but am moving to Comstock, wife has admin job at Comstock ISD. people who have never been to Big Bend area of Texas will be amazed as you well know. I rode my VStrom to BB 4 times and various other bikes for years before that. GSA will be my only bike, and will be my back and forth ride to Medina to check on property from time to time. I wonder if I should ride new bike over to dealer to collect my deposit, or maybe not a good idea? THANKS! D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #56
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,591
I've known people to wait 7-8 months to recieve a BMW, it's all part of the process.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #57
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
... hauled it home in my truck, I am guessing thats a rarity,
Quote:
I am in much worse shape than the bike as I have a torn tendon/ muscle in upper chest from straining so hard to hold bike.
So now you know why we ride it home... If you thought a bike was an inanimate object, wait until you stick it on the back of a vehicle when nothing is wrong. One seriously pissed off bike = one damaged owner

Hope the rest of the ownership experience is a bit more enjoyable
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #58
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Congrats on the bike. I've learned the hard way that potentially dropping a bike is not worth hurting myself over. I bought a V-Strom several years ago. I nearly dropped it on the ride home when my foot slipped at a stop light. Through a herculean effort and lots of adrenaline I managed to muscle it back upright without dropping it. The resulting lower back injury took me 5 months to recover from. In retrospect I would rather have bought some new plastic. Nowadays, if a bike is going over and I can't save it with moderate effort, I'm not going to sacrifice my body for it.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #59
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
I called Lone Star BMW in Austin Texas just to see what they had and they have my exact bike, options and all on the floor, priced less with first service free to boot. Next week I should be picking it up. I am ashamed of my local dealer and the way they have ignored me for 3 months and the loss of a deposit just rubs it in. I really enjoy this forum. D.
LS is good people! I've now bought four bikes from them.

Wayne
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #60
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Quote:
Today almost 3 months after I put a deposit on the GSA the salesman calls, I did not get to talk to him but the message was my 2013 GSA was lost in the storm in New Jersey and he will have one just like it soon. I am in Texas so I have missed 3 months of riding Tomorrow I will test ride the Yamaha. Thanks for listening D.
The port was hit hard. 4,000 new cars were also lost. Do you know your dealer can give you your build status in real time ? Also, it will show when its in trasport to Bremerhaven for loading and what ship it will be on (most likely an MSC ship). If you give me that info I can tell you and even give you a web adress so you can track the ship across the Atlantic into Newark. I docked the ship my GSA was on in 11'. I even got the container it was in cleared through customs when the ship was still off Cape Cod inbound. It will take 7 days to get to Newark NJ from Bremerhaven.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote