ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How do you guys prefer to take care of your chains?
Lube and clean after every ride.....the bike chain, not the women lol 14 31.11%
Lube and clean whenever it gets noisy or I feel guilty 19 42.22%
Just clean with WD-40 5 11.11%
Its an o-ring chain, no lubing needed, and only clean when its really dirty/muddy 8 17.78%
Hookers for maintainence 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,034
I've tried it both ways and the chain/sprockets seem to last longer with regular cleaning and lubrication. Not saying I am faithful.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i try to keep my chain clean and oiled so the chain is smooth. if you look at your chain going down the road it can look like it tearing stuff up! chattering and slapping around. i dont think it cant be that good on the countershaft sprocket bearing. plus gives me something to do to the bike when i cant ride.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Sierra Thumper OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
interesting none of you run non oring chains...jejeje

I know Im the minority dont ask me how I maintain it as it will start a can o worms

I like to think I have less rolling resistance! ajajajajaajajajajajjaaja
Okay Christian, you got us curious now, whats your secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Clean the chain thoroughly with compressed air. If needed, rub it down with a rag dipped in kerosene or diesel being careful around the o-rings. When riding or parked, don't let the chain get wet, period, and it if does, dry it out ASAP otherwise it will rust (if you aren't using any wax or lube like me). I don't ride when it's wet out because I hate cleaning mud off anything so avoiding water is easy for me. Even with the occasional creek crossing, I think the chain's heat dries itself out during the ride so as to avoid rusting.

This faux regimen has made my RK EXW chains last at least 15k miles and I don't have to deal with any messy cleaner, wax or lube. I use to do cleaning and lubing, found it to be more messy than anything with negligible positive results, the best being quietness which never really mattered to me. I'd rather just spend $100 for new sprockets and chain every 15k (1-3 years) and never have to deal with the driveline otherwise (except slack adjustments). In my experience, kinks in a chain are better fixed with slight outwards pressure on two small screwdrivers placed inside the kinked link.

I prefer to direct my best cleaning efforts towards the air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I live in the high desert so moisture is not a huge issue for me. I like to keep my chain fairly dry so as to not collect sand and dust. I prefer to just clean my chain when it looks like it needs it using WD-40. After its clean I wipe it with a clean rag with WD-40 on it.I think that prevents rust. I have tried lubes in the past but I find they collect to much dirt and make to much mess for me to handle. I have not so far experianced short chain life useing this method in these conditions. When I lived on the other (wet) side of the mountains I did run lube but it was miserable.
I agree with both you guys about chain maintainence being a nasty, time consuming affair. I tried for the first time last night just spraying chain lube on a rag and rubbing the chain down.....it was super quick and easy, mess free, and seemed to lube the chain as well as spraying the lube on and coating everything nearby, like the bike and floor, in messy, hard to clean up lube.

It seemed like I used more chain lube with the rag method, but I'm just going to buy the cheap Liquid Wrench Motorcycle chain lube from Wal-Mart, and try and do the rubdown method after every ride or when I have time between rides.
Its better than no lube I would guess, although I've known guys who just clean with WD-40 and get pretty good chain/sprocket life