Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
get...in...my...belllyyyy

baby back baby back baby back ribs
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
WIBO: Lovin your report. Keep it coming. I'm going there in May of next year.

Johnnydarock
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #34
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,574
Thanks dudes

We ride on ahead of the Land Rover and find the going is more open wide gravel trails passing through the last remaining villages;a small amount of palms and then we meet tarmac......ride along this towards the aerial and the hotels will appear on your RHS.

We park in the gravel car park,remove panniers and chat with each other whilst waiting for the Land Rover.....which arrives soon. In the meantime the local 'lookouts' will have texted ahead and as usual a local mechanic arrives,this time on his scooter touting for business...(normally he arrives in a hard top 300tdi Defender)....this method works well for all concerned and is normal. Frank arrives,talks to the mechanic and takes the opportunity to get a few parts installed at Moroccan labour rates...overnight!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The KTM dude does the opening credits of 'The Morcombe and Wise Show' whilst still on his moto.....

[IMG][/IMG]

The hotel has a guardian and the going rate for anyone doing this type of work is about €3.00-€5.00 per night....

I think if I sit in the guardians seat then someoen will give €5?....nah...no chance...the EDC wouldn't spend daylight...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ricky is still kicking himself for not being able to carry the bicycle on his AT....

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course and as mentioned before,some riders and their antics within the the EDC ....would of course be as well off on a camel....at least it can take over when you've no idea what you're doing....lol

[IMG][/IMG]

Craig wants to swop his Tiger for a moped and I tell him not to do it as it will have all that electrickery stuff in it and besides.... it has a mercury piston and will hydraulic if it falls over.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course Ken is still feeling poorly...so we take his picture again....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Somebody asks me another question about the hotel....so they get a look that says "I'm winging it .....I don't know anything...ask in the hotel ....are you like 9 or something...ask your Mom?" lol

[IMG][/IMG]

The hotel is great...in warmer months you'll eat breakfast beside the pool in the mornings.....expect in,all of our travels to pay 150 - 250 dirhams per night per head and this includes a massive evening meal and breakfast....the average was 200Dhms and the lowest 150Dhms....(way later in the trip the most expensive was 650Dhms but it was late and no one could be bothered to look for anything else)

There's no shortage too of ATM's in most main towns,wifi in most hotels and they have mobile phone cover in all but the most remote areas....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:48 PM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great report
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Thanks

We get cleaned up and then head for for a cold beer...usually 25Dhms for each ...there's Casablanca,Stork and Flag beer...all home grown and how to say it...better than nothing....Couldn't even get Guinness there on my travels..pah..humbug!!

Strangely enough the Aussie gets to the bar first...weird that?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Every minute tile is hand cut with pliers and also hand painted...usually coming from Fès

[IMG][/IMG]

..more importantly...here's a pic of the Presidents leg(ie Adam) after bouncing off the tree to avoid the mad Moroccan in the car...bbbaaaaaaa!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 09:17 AM
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #37
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

So...we check out(300Dhms per head) and are bound for M'hamid to see if we can play in the dunes there. It'll be a short road ride which gives us time to get into Zagora to get fuel and money along with picking up the Land Rover. As it's not far from the older routes of the Dakar when it was a real race...the garage has a large photo file of past competitors which makes great nostalgia. The owner is very proud of the pieces of race cars that he has around the place..he showed me an old door from a Mitsibushi Pajero 4x4 of a certain vintage!!

His garage is the cleanest and most organized garage I've ever seen in Maroc...and it was good to see the stickers all over the walls...great!!

[IMG][/IMG]

We all head over to see if the LR is fixed.....we only have to wait a short time so some head off for fuel and money.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see an old bit of Dakar race car body work hanging on the door!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Christophes gets a rear rack repaired that had broken under vibration on the corrugations.....

[IMG][/IMG]

We all stand about watching the world go by and taking it all in....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ricky charges a local kid €20 to have his picture taken with him.....

[IMG][/IMG]

This kid does runner and is very attentive...I can only imagine that he'll turn out to be an excellent mechanic by the times he's 13 or 14!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I go get petrol along the street....

201.1kms 9.72litres and 121.50 Dhms and at 12.50Dhms/ltr

..and others get money from one of the 4 ATM's in the street working...when I return to see the LR I find everyone very comfortable sitting in the street having traditional mint tea...that's Maroc!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Noah gets his moto signed again but this time uniquely in Arabic...it looks a great souvenir to have on his moto for sure...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As before..everyone watches the world go by.......

[IMG][/IMG]

Christophe is always waiting to take a snap....anywhere..even whilst sitting on the kerb :)
[IMG][/IMG]

Frank has a wee peep at the old Series 3.....he even tries to open the door with a crow bar because he can see loose change sitting in the ash tray.....even though the window is open...

[IMG][/IMG]

Couldn't get the door open so he lets all the tyres down instead after the pic is taken.....

[IMG][/IMG]

These are home made tow trucks....Marrakech is full of these and they're all still working anything from 30-40yrs after they were built

The mechanic offers to trade all that he owns including the shirt off his back just to have the best moto of the group.....I refuse of course...

[IMG][/IMG]

.....even a passing dude on a moped looks over in amazement when he see's how fantastic the XTZ is compared to all the other motos........

[IMG][/IMG]

Caro looks really excited to be talking motos and 4x4's

[IMG][/IMG]

.....but wait!!!!...I see another Yamaha with a factory works fitted seat cover....

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:39 PM
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #38
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

So....after tea and petrol we all head off south en route for M'hamid. Beautiful scenery and nice and warm.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's tarmac of dubious quality and normally it's only one car wide with a layer of sand/silt on top of hard baked wide stone verges.....they can be ridden on to pass cars with plenty of nerve and power ...You also have to make sure you jump up over the 'lip' of the tarmac when you need to get back onto same.

Be careful also if you come to a mini drainage bridge where it reduces to that one car wide width again!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The KTM dude take his clothes off again.....

[IMG][/IMG]

At one point(I"ll post video later when it's edited) an on coming car focuses on my running daylight and moves ever so close over to me narrowly missing me...great...I can hardly wait to see what the other drivers are going to be like if they're like this here!!... I get a feeling I'm heading more into the Twilight Zone every km I ride....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Indeed not much room if one meets a bus or lorry....

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 08:33 AM
Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 316
Riding Maroc

Wow! That was the trip I wanted. I went in 2010 for 3 weeks with an old school buddy, but as we come from Western Canada, getting our bikes over for a short time is not realistic. Rentals are too dear for 3 weeks, so we rented 4 wheels & did this instead ...

http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Travel

There are 4 albums on Morocco & others on Spain too. Next time I'm thinking of buying something in England or Spain & having it shipped home after.

Take the time to look over my albums on riding British Columbia too...

http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

Thanks for the posting. I enjoyed it.
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Thanks dude....

I had a wee peep at your pics...great shots....there'll be shots later in my RR of Volubilis also....

:)

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #41
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

A novel advertising sign....

[IMG][/IMG]

Soon we arrive at the top of a small mountain rise and from here it'll be the gateway to the M'hamid region. This makes a great viewpoint when one looks North across the spectacular dry plains. You'll see white stones on the mountain side just before you ride the short climb to said viewpoint.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the 'gateway' before descending a short distance in the direction of M'hamid.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Katay rider wants to take his clothes off again....Is it a KTM thing?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 11:45 AM
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #42
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,091
Oh the memories...

I´m curious to see where you guys head after Mhamid... Foum Zguid? Merzouga?

You seem like a guy who's ridden a few bike WIBO, and I'm curious to hear your honest appraisal of the XTZ. I almost bought one when they first came out here in Spain a few years back.

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Hi Dom'

I remember reading your threads from your Maroc visit....

I've ridden a few motos for sure!!!....I've a Gas Gas 300EC at present for the more extreme enduro stuff in the forests/mountains here.

We didn't want to try the Foum route as there were a few riders with us and with which it was their first time off roading...so we went the Merzouga route...

I will certainly give an honest appraisal of the moto for sure at the end of the RReport.....(I'm just back from a ride out today as it was sunny here lol)...have to wash and change the oil on the moto after my Maroc jaunt....

Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
WIBO OP
Will it buff out?

Since we rode south over the viewpoint we see that the landscape starts to change from rock and silt to blown sand in amogst palms and shrubs/grass ....and clouds apparent.

[IMG][/IMG]

We arrive into M'hamid to find the wind was kicking up sand which left visibility not so good.....I stop at the entrance to the town and wait for the rest to regroup. of course the usual hotel scouts arrive touting for business. We decide to follow a Nissan Patrol to see where he'll take us to stay. We ride through the town and onto gravel trails much like one finds in Merzouga.....I think that there may be potential here to find a place well away from the town centre.

As it happens it's too difficult and far for the novice riders to ride to and that,coupled with poor visibility,means we ride on back into the town and find a place just on the outskirts there.

The others can ride it no problem.....

[IMG][/IMG]

..even 25yr old odd technology can do it...ie the good old faithful Africa Twin......

[IMG][/IMG]

I of course get a Presidents award for starting my moto,putting it into gear,miss my footing and promptly gently put it into the sand...of course those in the LR are ready with a camera....so it's picked and then very soon after that Craig goes for a ride into the dunes,whereupon I can hand over the title as he boings over the bars...There might be a pattern developing in that when I get the award within 5 mins someone takes it from me.....I'm happy enough about that....

Phil rides along minding his own business when he just falls over.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Noah kicks the Tiger to see if it's still alive......

Yip...and as usula in the middle of nowhere people arrive...the kids have sen us ride through the village and no doubt know,as word travels fast,that the EDC have arrived and there'll be free entertainment....

[IMG][/IMG]

Ken,feeling better by this stage,dismounts and walks off to help the others in between bouts of laughter....he parks his moto like so with no side stand required....

[IMG][/IMG]

WIBO screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 01:26 PM
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #45
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
Great pictures and a good story.

You have one too many [IMG] [/IMG] around your pictures IMG codes - it would look better if you removed them.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote