User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,809
Both bikes are great!

But if you post this question in Orange Crush, you'll get a wider array of suggestions. Thumpers is for thumpers.
Personally, the 950/990 is better on more slab while being the top contender for liter sized bikes in the dirt. And if you're ever 2 up, it's the right choice. I haven't had wind buffeting be a problem.

The 690 is OK on slab but gets way more better when the slab is gone. There are some known issues to deal with but the bike is a classic. A Rally style fairing will remove the air flow issue, IMO.

Don't rule out the 500 FI bikes, the power to weight ratio continues to improve and they're much more nimble in the dirt. They will slab along just fine if you choose. I think that KTM is currently making the best line of dual sports and making it tough to say no to any of their offerings.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #17
nivag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I've got a 690r with the Rally Raid adventure kit and it's fine at cruising at 70-80mph, very little buffeting, though the knobbly tyres can give you a bit of a speed wobble sometimes.

If I was doing repeated day in, day out 400 mile days I'd consider the 990. All depends on the type of off-road you're expecting to do.
nivag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
everetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Thanks for all the replies, the 690 sounds pretty great to me. Since I'm basically upside down in my Tenere, guess I'll just keep it as a touring bike, and I will try to grab a 690 in the near future.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
RTODAHL01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I disagree with this statement. I am 50 and do all day/multiday rides on my 690R. Granted I have a aftermarket seat, but even a 990 rider does that. I guess it's really not your age that keeps one from riding a paticular motorcycle, but rather how old you think you are.
If that is the case I will be getting a big wheel
RTODAHL01 is offline   Reply With Quote