User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
mnesci OP
Adventure Dad

Oddometer: 142
Blue ridge parkway and deals gap

Im looking for a ride down Deals gap and the Parkway from south to north. What are the exact towns the parkway starts and end and where are some good places to stay. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...,22,23&t=m&z=7

we slept in robbinsville (nice) and asheville (so so). I dont think Cherokee is a strategic place because not far enough (not a whole day riding) to where people usually stay when visiting the dragon.

we slept at the Quality Inn west of Hillsville and were happy with the usual 80$ room for 2.. other motels around. mcdo, pizzeria, all by walking distance.

most people continue on skyline drive (10$) all the way to front royal (way overrated city imho). we slept in winchester. I recently also slept in Luray, at the very quiet days Inn, to see the Luray caverns the next day (must see, for 24$). You might like the comfort inn at Frederick, very new. Cant miss with comfort inn anyway.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
1960FL
Venturer

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnesci View Post
Im looking for a ride down Deals gap and the Parkway from south to north. What are the exact towns the parkway starts and end and where are some good places to stay. Any help would be much appreciated!
TN/NC border begins the parkway it ends at Skyline Drive.

When are you planning to go? Weather will start to become a factor.

The Iron horse is central to Deals Gap http://www.ironhorsenc.com/ and is a biker/ADV Rider lodging ground from Cabins to camping and a bunk house if you don't mind others snoring etc. .

The parkway form about Buena Vista to Skyline is kind of boring, if you are on an ADV bike allot of fire and logging roads to explore all over these parts.

If it were me i would jump off the parkway at Buena Vista RT 60 toward Lexington go north on 11 about a mile and left/west on 39 (Maury River RD) a beautiful ride along the river. take this to 220 toward WVA this is a nice ride. If you want some really fun twisties hop off 220 at Franklin on to 33 toward Harrisonburg.

You cant go wrong with the parkway and the roads surrounding it.

Rick
1960FL is offline   Reply With Quote