ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
Can someone help me identify this fuel tank?

My brother recently passed and I'm cleaning out his garage. I'm finding stuff I need to identify so I can make appropriate disposition.

This KTM tank was hanging from the rafters. It's HUGE! Beautiful though..... I can prolly sell it for his wife if I can figure out what it goes on!!! Some of you big-brained KTM guys are bound to know ..... Thanks!










__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Strombony
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Strombony's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: parma oHIo
Oddometer: 435
gas tank

looks like a ktm 640 adventure tank. 7 gallons.
color looks like my 06.

matt
__________________
07 FXD SUPERGLIDE
02 DL 1000
06 640 adv
01 ktm 400 mxc
92 RMX 250, blown up!
Strombony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombony View Post
looks like a ktm 640 adventure tank. 7 gallons.
color looks like my 06.

matt

Matt, thanks so much! He had one of those :) eBay here we come :) my brothers wife and son thank you too :)
__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
boatpuller
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Central fly-over land.
Oddometer: 516
Take the part numbers to a KTM dealer, and they should be able to help you ID it. Maybe even what else it fits on, which would increase your market.

If It fit on a 525 EXC for example, I would kind of be interested in it.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombony View Post
looks like a ktm 640 adventure tank. 7 gallons.
color looks like my 06.

matt
The cap is wrong for anything newer than 04, and by the "97" and. "96" marks on the tank I would say it is an early 640 tank, but it will for any LC4, just need the right seat.
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,645
It is a 620 EGS/E tank. No different than any of the various 640 tanks except the larger cap. All the different fairings will fit as well.

Mecca-systems used to make an adapter for mating this tank to an RFS.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
You guys are great, thanks. In terms of KTMs he also left a 525, a 530, a 950 Adventure .... I think I'll keep the 950 :)






__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
dpforth
no inline fours
 
dpforth's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Fantasy, I mean Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 309
Very sorry for your loss...

According to Munn's, the tank may be:

Cross Referencing Selected Part Number '5850701300002' in the Parts Database.
Description: GASTANK CPL. 30 LITER ORANGE

Cross Reference Lookup
1997 400 EGS-E 29KW 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 EGS-E 31KW 11LT ROT (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 LSE 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 RXC-E ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 35KW 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 11LT ORANG (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 20LT BLAU (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 20LT ROT (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 ENDURO LIMITED (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)
1997 620 LSE 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 RXC-E) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 640 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)
1997 660 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)
__________________
This species has amused itself to death
dpforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
According to Munn's, the tank may be:

Cross Referencing Selected Part Number '5850701300002' in the Parts Database.
Description: GASTANK CPL. 30 LITER ORANGE

Cross Reference Lookup
1997 400 EGS-E 29KW 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 EGS-E 31KW 11LT ROT (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 LSE 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 400 RXC-E ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 35KW 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 11LT ORANG (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 20LT BLAU (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 EGS-E 37KW 20LT ROT (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 ENDURO LIMITED (D) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)
1997 620 LSE 11LT BLAU (DIV) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 620 RXC-E) ATTACHMENTS EGS-E,LSE `97 (Item Number 1)
1997 640 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)
1997 660 LC4 RALLYE (DAKAR) FUEL TANK,SEAT,MASK RALLYE`97 (Item Number 11)

Wow.... Winner winner chicken dinner! Mucho gracias, gentlemen!
__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma
 
Donkey Hotey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 20 Mule Team Trail (Palmdale, Ca)
Oddometer: 11,719
Painted tank. That's from a 1997-1998 KTM 620 Adventure. It should also fit the 1999-2000 640 Adventure, though the paint color is wrong (they had blue tanks). As already mentioned, the later 640 had a different tank and seat. The tank MIGHT fit those bikes but, I suspect fitment problems with the seat and the shroud / mask.

Edit: pretty sure it also needs this bracket on the frame to mount it securely:
www.ebay.com/itm/151500999762


__________________
Greg

Donkey Hotey screwed with this post 12-16-2014 at 09:34 PM
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 AM   #11
TunturiTT
techhead
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Saunaland
Oddometer: 41
http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM1997...60RALLY_ch.pdf

Link to the katalog.
Tank is Acerbis 585.07.013.000
TunturiTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma
 
Donkey Hotey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 20 Mule Team Trail (Palmdale, Ca)
Oddometer: 11,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunturiTT View Post
http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM1997...60RALLY_ch.pdf

Link to the katalog.
Tank is Acerbis 585.07.013.000
That's the right mold but not this tank. The rally tank is molded orange polyethylene (like all the dirtbikes, fenders etc). They come from the same mold but arent the same. The OP's tank is orange painted white nylon. Like I posted: 1997-1998 620 Adventure.

Incidentally, there were fewer than 30 of those bikes imported to the US. I wonder what happened to the bike that came from or if it was bought over the counter. One good crash and those tanks crack. I'd be tempted to buy it as a spare for mine.
__________________
Greg
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
That's the right mold but not this tank. The rally tank is molded orange polyethylene (like all the dirtbikes, fenders etc). They come from the same mold but arent the same. The OP's tank is orange painted white nylon. Like I posted: 1997-1998 620 Adventure.

Incidentally, there were fewer than 30 of those bikes imported to the US. I wonder what happened to the bike that came from or if it was bought over the counter. One good crash and those tanks crack. I'd be tempted to buy it as a spare for mine.

As I mentioned in the op I'm cleaning up after my brothers death so I'm putting a lot of loose ends together.

The original bike was a factory support bike. It is in pieces around here somewhere. I know it sounds strange to lose a bike but if you could see what I'm dealing with you'd understand :)

__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
mcgo104 OP
Habitual Linestepper
 
mcgo104's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mobile, Ala-BAMA
Oddometer: 91
Thanks to the info you guys have provided I went rummaging around the garage and found the matching fairing, including instrument dash, that go with the monster tank.

Kewl! :)



__________________
www.xr1200ownersgroup.com
mcgo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma
 
Donkey Hotey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 20 Mule Team Trail (Palmdale, Ca)
Oddometer: 11,719
My guess would be that your brother bought those parts to either convert a standard LC4 that he has/had or you have an LC4 sitting around there in parts. Based on the clear windscreen, those parts came from a very early 620 Adventure--maybe even a gray-market import. Only the very earliest bikes had the clear windscreen.

More details about the bikes here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111682

If you decide they are spares and don't belong to a bike, let me know if you have a price in mind before you go to Ebay (if you just want to auction it, I understand). I have both a 1997 and a 1999. I may eventually have a need for any or all of those parts.

Also: you're a good brother for going through his stuff and not just trashing it. I shudder at the thought of what might happen to piles of unobtainum parts laying around here. I don't know any single person who would know what to do with them or what they are. I have a Buell RR1200 restoration sitting here in pieces (1 of maybe 35 left in the world?). Only another RR owner would recognize the various bits.
__________________
Greg
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015