User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
doggitter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I'm at the do I or do I not stage.

I have a real small specialty auto parts manuf. business here but I have no experiencing modding bikes. Lack of funds for buying a good bigger DS makes me interested in getting a suitable project street bike that is in good shape I can change as I go. Currently the target is a GR650 for its narrowness, weight, size and cost.

Should I worry about picking something with different frame geometry and riding position for this or would virtually all bikes work fine for very limited offroad use and mostly long range use?

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
all hail the gr650

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
I have a real small specialty auto parts manuf. business here but I have no experiencing modding bikes. Lack of funds for buying a good bigger DS makes me interested in getting a suitable project street bike that is in good shape I can change as I go. Currently the target is a GR650 for its narrowness, weight, size and cost.

Should I worry about picking something with different frame geometry and riding position for this or would virtually all bikes work fine for very limited offroad use and mostly long range use?
Some street tracker projects somewhere ,cool bike to start with , add 2-3 " ground clearance and travel with longer forks and shocks,route exhaust above cases with emgo shortys , trials tires ,trailwings and throw lightweight plastic base seat on it ( oe or after market ) and go gravel road racing !
Oh and skid plate made from big aluminum grain shovel.
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I was where you are last year in terms of thinking,JD Rocks and others got me looking at the needs for my purpose and I began looking at some bikes that had those requirements met then looked at the specs that they had to fulfill those needs,two bikes the transalp and the 990 Ktm are my spec sheet bikes. the bike being used a suzi 650 gladius.really doesnot matter what bike you have, then start finding the parts to fill the spec sheet,I chose OEM parts for reliability and rebuild availability.gas tank,seat pan,front fork assy(various makes)exhaust etc all OEM. takes some investigation by reading the various sites getting familiar with the dimensions of your bike components,last year I just got the suspension dialed(stock),welded up a rack and went to the sequioias,this year it is still in parts and have yet to fit some but it will get done.for much of my riding here in the US not much suspension changes are needed for gravel touring just the tires(moderate speeds)but our requirement was for RTW use so we needed more flexibility.read suspension travel.this keeps down the costs and leaves more for the ride without sacrificing the quality of the build.plenty of scramblers being used .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
BiGR Rich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
A GR650? Be forewarned: engine parts can be very hard to come by. Suzuki really tried some different things with the GR so the engine is pretty different compared to their other bikes.
BiGR Rich is offline   Reply With Quote