User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
FlatlandKSBrett OP
Still looking

Oddometer: 33
3 Honda 350's for the winter blues

So winter in Kansas can bore a guy to drinking. The cure?? Buy a project. So I found three Honda's for one low price. A 1971 cb350, a 1972 cb350, and a 1972 cl350. The plan was to get 2 bikes running out of the 3. And who knows? I might keep one. I've always liked the high pipes of the CL, perhaps a café style flat tracker might be in the works.

The PO started to turn this one into something, so I figured it would be a good spot to start.

The carbs turned out to be in 3 different levels of decay, but I think I can get two sets out of the three.

And after 2 nights worth of carb cleaner fumes and beer. BAM! One really nice set.

The electrical system was a mess. Duct tape and red wire were the tools of choice for the guy before me. WOW!!

So I stripped it down to the bare bones for some testing. Old charging systems are a crapshoot. But check out the results...

It fired and sounded great. Not bad for sitting for 12 years!!

More to come!! I'll leave you with a teaser of the CL. I think it's a keeper.

FlatlandKSBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 215
Laugh

Have you ever actually ridden a CL350? We sold a shitload of them back in the day. Every single customer I know of carries the scars from burns from those high pipes. The heat shielding is completely ineffective.

Service the centrifugal and screen oil filters. The cam towers are absolutely intolerant of lube issues. And the cam chain requires frequent attention. Best of luck.

Edit: The weak link in the charging system is the selenium rectifier, which luckily can be upgraded with a modern generic unit.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Magna4ever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Love those old CL's - had 1972 CL450 in high school, like this one...Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1420375420443.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  19.4 KB
I quickly learned that it was not really a good off-road bike (when I attempted to jump it over a large log and the center stand caught on it and I found the 400+ pounds to be extremely unwieldy in that situation!)
Turned it into a road bike with low pipes, megaphones, extended fork tubes, larger rear wheel/tire and chopper-style handlebars. (Wish I could find a pic of that old bike)
Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Psalms 68:33
Magna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
FlatlandKSBrett OP
Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
Have you ever actually ridden a CL350? We sold a shitload of them back in the day. Every single customer I know of carries the scars from burns from those high pipes. The heat shielding is completely ineffective.

Service the centrifugal and screen oil filters. The cam towers are absolutely intolerant of lube issues. And the cam chain requires frequent attention. Best of luck.

Edit: The weak link in the charging system is the selenium rectifier, which luckily can be upgraded with a modern generic unit.

My first bike was a 1975 cl350. Loved it. Now keep in mind this will be an in town bar hopper, not a cross county adventure bike. That's what my XR is for.

And it's funny you should mention the timing chain. My brother had a 1974 CL360 growing up also. The timing chain got so lose it knocked a hole out of the front jugs. We would put JB weld and beer cans over it just to limp it along. Being 12 and 14 at the time, we had no clue how to fix it. But times are different. I got me real smart since then. Some schooling and stuff.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
FlatlandKSBrett OP
Still looking

Well, no cool progress to speak of, but I did get the wiring done. It's not fancy, but it will work for the first shake down runs. We put the CL tank on with the seat that came with the bikes and I kinda like it. I let the tank sit full of vinegar for about 5 hours then rinsed. That works fairly well. I was surprised. I'll need to drop the battery about 1 inch to get the seat to work. I think for the local county roads this thing is going to be fun.