Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
cutler686 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Adventure touring vs cruiser

Greetings fellow road worriers! Question for you all who have also owned cruiser style bikes. I went from trail bikes to a sportster, then a vstrom to gs, and now own a tenere. I have put about 30k wonderful miles on each bike. Most of my rides are with friends, 300 mile days on slab. wife seldom joins however is showing more interest recently.

Does the lower center of gravity and higher weight of a dresser make 2 up easier on the driver? Wife has been comfy on all my bikes and though I enjoy short rides with her, these tall adventure bikes seem like a pain in the but in traffic. To the point of being scary with a pillion of similar weight.

Thoughts?
cutler686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
curtis6870
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Neither, get a FJR, ST, or Connie.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutler686 View Post

Greetings fellow road worriers! Question for you all who have also owned cruiser style bikes. I went from trail bikes to a sportster, then a vstrom to gs, and now own a tenere. I have put about 30k wonderful miles on each bike. Most of my rides are with friends, 300 mile days on slab. wife seldom joins however is showing more interest recently.

Does the lower center of gravity and higher weight of a dresser make 2 up easier on the driver? Wife has been comfy on all my bikes and though I enjoy short rides with her, these tall adventure bikes seem like a pain in the but in traffic. To the point of being scary with a pillion of similar weight.

Thoughts?
it depends a lot on your size, and the size and geometry of the bike(s) in question. I am 5'9", my wife was comfortable on the back of our 2008 Nomad, but two up was a difficult experience for me. I find my v-strom very easy to ride, but she will not get on it at all. I have not ridden the s10, but just sitting on it in the showroom, it feels top heavy to me.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:

Thoughts?

How about a Kawasaki Concourse or, dare I say, a Goldwing?
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
Rather than buying a new bike. Why not just make the Tenere better for her. Grab rails. Maybe a backrest.

Also do things like pull up next to kerb so it's easy to get on and off. And only doing short easy rides to begin

A cruiser is the best pillion bike which is why they are so popular but you can make your current one almost as good
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 6,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis6870 View Post
neither, get a fjr, st, or connie.
+1

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
cutler686 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Rather than buying a new bike. Why not just make the Tenere better for her. Grab rails. Maybe a backrest.

Also do things like pull up next to kerb so it's easy to get on and off. And only doing short easy rides to begin

A cruiser is the best pillion bike which is why they are so popular but you can make your current one almost as good
It's not as much her comfort as it is the controllability of the bike in slower situations. We are both muscular built, I'm 5'8 190 she's closer to 6' and 170. I had a connie for a half day while getting an oil change last year and I absolutely loved the motor, however it had a similar top heavy feel to it as my tenere, although I didn't have an opportunity to ride it with a pillion.
cutler686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Nemosengineer
Hair Ball

Oddometer: 991
Hmmm... Adventure Vs Cruiser...
Do you ride rock strewn remote fire roads with deep cross grain rain ruts = <350 Lb. Dirt bike.
Do you ride bad dirt roads and well groomed local fire roads in the rain = >500 Lb. Adventure bike (bring a wench).
Do you ride 90% pavement and 10% non pavement (what the hell is non pavement) = any bike that won't high center on a speed bump.

DING, DING... The Correct Answer Is... Chose two bikes from the above list.

Best Wishes: Mike
Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Hmmm....(bring a wench).

DING, DING

My wife is cool with the two bike thingy, but the wench idea, not so much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
Nemosengineer
Hair Ball

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post

My wife is cool with the two bike thingy, but the wench idea, not so much...

Damn spellcheck... On Second Thought...

: Mike
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 294
Quote:

Thoughts?
I like medium and large cruisers for two up riding. The lower center of gravity makes a modern cruiser easy to control at low speeds. My Nomad 1500 FI bagger has like a 24" seat height. Rear "pillion" is like a recliner lol even has passenger floor boards.

I'm sure the cruiser haters will chime in and tell me what a stupid bike it is

Have had maybe 50 to 75 bikes. Not a newbie. Each classification of bike is built for a pretty specific use (excluding the KLR650 lol). The cruiser, IMHO, has its useful place. It all just depends on what kind of places you want to take it.

A big backrest, large wide saddle, and rear boards can make for a happy passenger. And when mama is happy...
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #12
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
The lower the seat, the more you can control the bike at a stop sign. Not a problem when you are alone, but pretty scary when you have a passenger. I ride a Moto Guzzi Norge, because it has a low seat height, but it still is a sport touring. I do not like the handling of a cruiser, but 2 up is a dream.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,913
Yeah, everything is better for the pillion on a cruiser equipped for it. Seating, foot position, etc. are all much better and almost comfortable.

And low speed work is almost always easier on a cruiser. That's why so many people ride them, apart from the "me too" mindset of them, because they're so easy to ride in low speed parade mode.

Harley will give you a test ride with no strings. Go ride one. They're fun in a "I ain't got shit to do and it's Friday" kind of way.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yeah, everything is better for the pillion on a cruiser equipped for it. Seating, foot position, etc. are all much better and almost comfortable.
Except the short travel suspensions that will pound the pillion's spine into dust on a rough road.

Honestly, my pillion cannot stand the seating on a cruiser. She does not like the feet forward, leaning back seating, or the pounding she takes with the short travel dual shock suspensions. She's 5'-9" and 140.

Modern monoshock-equipped sport-touring bikes are much better 2-up machines for touring. If your riding is all short distance, and around town, then the low seat and low center of gravity of a cruiser may be of benefit. But the suspension will still beat her to death.

I'd be looking at a mid-size sport-touring bike, if I were the OP. BMW R-RT, Guzzi Norge, etc...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,913
That's a very good point, Rocker. Most of the people who have a 2 up cruiser have aftermarket suspenders for that very reason.