User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
rbarrero OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Acewell 2853 on a K100

Hi all - I'm converting my 1985 bmw k100 into a cafe racer and I would like to replace the stock instrument cluster with either a Acewell 2853 or possibly something from an older airhead.

Has anyone setup an Acewell digital speedo/tach on a K bike (75/100)? Or done a successful swap?

Thanks!
rbarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,781
Trail Tech Vapor

I realize that you didn't ask about anything but the Acewell, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Trail Tech Vapor.
Cheap, relatively speaking, enormous amount of info/functions and small and tidy.

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

I've had mine on my XR650R for about four years now and it's awesome.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
If you look here you'll find some pinouts/wiring colors for K bike instrument clusters as a PDF which you might find useful:

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=362.0

I'm very familiar with K bike wiring and can answer most questions you might have. I've looked at the TrailTech options before and believe it's a good solution.

The one kicker is the circuitry that enables the starter. On the Ks the bike will only start if the clutch is pulled in or the gear position indicator is in neutral. All of the gear position indicator circuitry is in the cluster but it would be easy to emulate that with a set of three relays in series.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
rbarrero OP
n00b

I appreciate the feedback and will consider both options... the only thing about the Vapor is that it doesn't completely fit the style I'm looking for, I'll have to weigh the options and level of difficulty for install.

I will definitely need some help with the wiring since I don't know the schematics intimately and will need to do testing and need to get the connections correct.

I don't see the PDF on that page you sent... also, is the info on that page specifically relevant to my 1985 k100?

Thanks,

Rafael
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
rbarrero OP
n00b

I debated for a while on the speedo since I found some other options like Koso and Vapor. In the end, the Acewell has a good price for both speedo and tachometer.

If anyone has pictures or diagrams of the pinouts for the k100 speedo, please feel free to send any of that or links my way. I'll be sure to use the info from the motobrick forum if nothing else.

Thanks,

Rafael
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Harris1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrero View Post
I debated for a while on the speedo since I found some other options like Koso and Vapor. In the end, the Acewell has a good price for both speedo and tachometer.

If anyone has pictures or diagrams of the pinouts for the k100 speedo, please feel free to send any of that or links my way. I'll be sure to use the info from the motobrick forum if nothing else.

Thanks,

Rafael
Did you end up installing the acewell?
Harris1200 is offline   Reply With Quote