Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #211
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
I mentioned in my post that I installed new chain & sprockets so not sure what you are on about with the chain maintenance theory ?
Just because you have new chain & sprockets doesn't mean it's lubed, align, and has the proper slack.

The worst alignment/slack that I have ever had was done at a dealership after a tire change. They just adjusted it, and it was WAY off.

Don't know about your 919, but on all 3 of the 919's that I owned it made a big difference.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #212
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 256
I like the sound of these bikes. I would like to hear more people chime in on gas mileage. I have seen low 30s to upper 40s. Fuelly is all over the place, from mid 20s up. Anybody else keep numbers?
LPRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #213
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
I like the sound of these bikes. I would like to hear more people chime in on gas mileage. I have seen low 30s to upper 40s. Fuelly is all over the place, from mid 20s up. Anybody else keep numbers?
I got a number from a friend that shocked me.

Group ride, heavens opened up, they kept it sedate, cruising 40-60mph
for 3 hours in those conditions. He got 60MPG on that ride. Another guy
I know that's a normal rider, shortshifts, keeps it smooth and at 2000
to 3500 revs at most times gets 45MPG usually, like me on my FZ6.

I guess if you keep it up to half the rev range, you get a lot miles for your fuel.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #214
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post

All 3 of mine would go 200 miles between fill-ups. This last one seems a little better for some reason.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #215
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Just because you have new chain & sprockets doesn't mean it's lubed, align, and has the proper slack.
Yes, it does in my case. I installed it, adjusted it & lubed it & continue adjusting & lubing it & will continue to lube it & adjust it. I lube it every 800 miles since I complete that kind of mileage in less than 2 weeks & my bike sits outside. I have been doing this for all my bikes for 12 years now so I think I know how to maintain slack & lube a chain.

I do ride with an Aerostich 1 pc suit so there is nothing flapping around.

I also have a National Cycle F16 windshield & hand guards. My tail bag is not that big, I pretty much cover it completely.

My tires are inflated to near factory spec, 34 F & 40 R. I wont go lower as I like to maintain some feel, complete loss of feel from the tires just feels odd to me.

I fill gas from Sunoco every 2 days so my gas is always fresh.

Riding below 4800 RPM or 80 mph indicated is simply stupid & dangerous in the NJ turn pike. Even at that speed people are flying by me, any slower & I will probably get rear ended.

Yes, I get that this is not a eco bike like the NC700 or similar but I am wondering about the fabulous mileage claims I have read before buying the bike. I obviously didn't expect 55 mpg but I really expected 45 mpg since I ride very conservatively when commuting. I always shift by 4K rpm.

There, I think I just about answered all doubts.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #216
Hoosier919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I get 50mpg typically but I also live over an hour from the nearest Interstate highway. I rarely ride on a road with a speed limit above 55. When I took my bike on a cross country trip a few years ago my mileage dropped down to mid 30's. I was actually quite shocked the first time the light came on. I was afraid something had gone drastically wrong in the first 160 miles of a 5K trip.
Hoosier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #217
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't know what you have going on. Even though it has Honda quality, there seems to be a difference between 919's.

Some get good MPG some don't, some have the "stink" some don't, some have a "knock" some don't.

I guess I got lucky with the 3 that I've owned/own.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #218
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
All 3 of mine would go 200 miles between fill-ups. This last one seems a little better for some reason.
Well I own one of those three and it still gets that kind of mileage. And that's based on using a GPS to measure the miles. It now has a 17/44 520 chain and sprocket conversion which helps a little.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #219
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,898
150 miles before the light comes on.
Mpg is around high 30 to mid 40s.

Most of my riding is freeway or stop and go SoCal roads.
Stock gearing, Honda fly screen, stock fueling and a top box.
Lower bars with bar backs.

My bike has just a wiff of the stink,

It's been a great bike that I've really enjoyed. Only issues have been the battery went dead. And the fork seals are leaking.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #220
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Lately it has been high 30's to low 40's ( I usually cruise at 80-90), no stink though... did the 900RR exhaust swap.

I just plasti dipped my swing arm and forks.. looks amazing!!!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #221
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Appears that on the highway this bike suffers, probably due to the lack of aerodynamics. Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #222
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Appears that on the highway this bike suffers, probably due to the lack of aerodynamics. Oh well, it is what it is.
It's also a 900 with the fuel consumption of a 600, which is great.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #223
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
It's also a 900 with the fuel consumption of a 600, which is great.
May be. My 06 GSXR 1000 which made a LOT more power than the 919 would net 42-43 mpg consistently on the same boring commute, regardless of temperature. Of course that bike was magical in every sense & it was very aerodynamic so its not a fair comparison. Goes to show that just because a liter sized engine is mildly tuned as is the case with the 919; it will not be more efficient than an engine with a higher state of tune.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #224
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
I irony of this engine is that it never saw it's potential on the 900RR being carbed and had such a long stroke for a race replica.

They had to re-tune it, add FI and change the gearing, intake and exhaust etc...to really make it shine.

My 900RR got 35-40mpg and fell flat on it's face at 5K thanks to the EPA

919 gets 45-50mpg and is a far more enjoyable powerplant. I just wish 6th gear was taller/
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #225
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
I irony of this engine is that it never saw it's potential on the 900RR being carbed and had such a long stroke for a race replica.

They had to re-tune it, add FI and change the gearing, intake and exhaust etc...to really make it shine.

My 900RR got 35-40mpg and fell flat on it's face at 5K thanks to the EPA

919 gets 45-50mpg and is a far more enjoyable powerplant. I just wish 6th gear was taller/
I am very very glad they didn't use that crap O2 sensor & power valve gimmicks. A simple engine, with fueling & exhaust; done.