User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,064
Tenere vs Explorer vs Stelvio NTX

I'm looking at replacing my beloved FJR and those are the three that have my complete attention. Was just wondering if there are folks here that have had the opportunity to ride each of the above and might want to lend their opinions.

Like I said, I actually love the FJR but it just doesn't fit my needs anymore. My trips almost always end up with at least some dirt road type riding. Heck, the FJR prolly has more dirt road mileage than most GSs and DLs but it's terrible at it. While I know that each of the bikes I mention aren't dirt bikes,,,,, any one of them would be worlds better than the FJR off tarmac. Two up comfort is important as the FJR is my two up bike of choice.

Each bike has plenty going for it and of course, a few things that many might not like.

I like many aspects of the Explorer {especially the cruise and the power} but I dislike the fuel range {and please don't tell me it doesn't matter because it does to me, tired of carry fuel}. Dealer network while not as good as the UJMs, is better than the Guzzi I think. Reliability? Once again, I don't think it's a UJM but I haven't heard of bad issues with modern Triumph either. Don't like the cast wheels but not a deal breaker. How is the tranny gearing on this bike? Can you lug it along at 2-3mph and still cruise comfy at freeway speeds? Don't like the TC and ABS not being an option.

I like the fact that the Tenere is a Yamaha as I have had very good luck with bikes from the Japanese Big Four and Yamaha in particular {the FJR has nearly 80K on it now}. I like the fact that dealers are everywhere. I like the fact that it seems that Yammy is having a hard time selling them and the prices reflect that. I can get a brand new one out the door for around 15K$ so it's probably the least expensive to buy and possibly the least expensive to own. I have heard that the Tenere has a fairly wide ratio tranny and will idle at walking speeds which is important for rough, unmaintained roads yet still has a tall enough top gear that it'll easily cruise at highway speeds. Matter of fact, close ratio tranny gearing is a pet peeve of mine on these adv and dual sport type bikes. This especially important since the final gearing is so hard to change with a shaft drive bike. Speaking of shafties,,,, I love the fact that Yamaha isn't a slave to stylish single sided swing arms. They are using a shaftdrive that has proven itself reliable since what,,, the early 80s or so! Fuel range isn't as much as I want but hey, better than the Explorer. Only drawbacks I see, weight is high but even at that, many say the weight is hidden well with a low Cg. I wouldn't know because Yamaha dealers don't seem to allow test rides for the most part. Let's see,,,,,, you want me to hand over 15K$ or so without a test ride? Nope, ain't gonna happen and Yamaha really needs to address this issue in my opinion. Don't like the fact that I don't think you can turn off the ABS.

Now to the Guzzi NTX. I love the fuel range and how Guzzi incorporated such a huge tank on the bike while keeping it fairly narrow, compact and low and behold, it didn't result in the bike being terribly top heavy{so much for the Explorer's "little tank" apologists ehh?}. I like the air cooled simplicity and the easily adjustable valves. I hate the fact that you have to buy it loaded up with panniers and aux. lighting. I've looked at the panniers and I think they look easily damaged in a tip over and would prefer to have pelicans so I would end selling the stockers and buying aftermarket anyway. Despite that, the price isn't bad. Not as cheap as the Tenere but still not bad.

So,,, any thoughts, opinions or observation especially from those that have rode all three?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
bahill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hey Jud,

Cycle Nation of Canton has a demo on the floor. Give Micky a call and he'll be glad to let you take a ride.

However, be careful what you wish for or you'll end up like me.

bahill screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:37 AM
bahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 124
I've been looking at the same three and have come to the same conclusions. If you're willing to travel, I've seen inmates posting about S10s in the Sub-13k range in a few places around the South East.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Yeah, I think one is in GA.

I paid $13K OTD here in Arkansas.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,998
If possible, I'd go ride them all and buy the one that sings to you.

I don't think you would be disappointed in any of them.

I do agree about the gas capacity. That's the one thing I miss about my GSA.

(BTW, VERY happy Super Tenere owner. All that stuff everyone said about how well it does in the dirt is true....)
Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
I've had two FJRs and really liked them. (Gen 1 was a furnace)

After buying a Tenere the FJR just sat in the garage. You can't help but miss the top end
rush of the FJR. The friendly ergos and mid range of the Tenere appeal to my senior
riding style more.

Now instead avoiding certain routes I look forward to the paved road ending and letting the
Tenere do it's thing. Which it does surprisingly well.

I did not look into the other models you mentioned. Mainly for all the things you already said
about the Yamaha. Peace of mind goes a long way.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Jud, if 2 up is important to you as you said, you'll like the Tenere just fine.My wife loves the thing & we had a BMW GS12 for 4 years,used for dirt roads in western mountains mostly. Wife feels the Tenere is far more stable in rocks,etc & she loves the fit & that non-slip rear seat. 2 new BMW's(GS12 and an RT) over the years and a buncha jap bikes(including a FJR & 2 ST1100s & a ST1300--boo the latter) have cured me from buying ANYTHING made in Europe (except French flea spray for my hounds).
A pal & I were just out riding rough forest roads,he on his Vstrom 650,me on the Tenere. He was amazed (& slightly appalled) by the Tenere's ease of hammering over boulder fields at some speed. He said his sunglasses shook off on the Vstrom. The Tenere is quite a bit more stable in such stuff than the BMW was(the beemer bounced a lot & frontend at times didn't seem planted.....& it broke a lot--both my beemers did). The Tenere carries TONNES of M&Ms,Snickers bars & other fat goodies too---ask Pluric.
We hit a couple 100 yards of remnant snow ,we were on a slight downgrade. The ONLY thing the Tenere is worse at than the BMW is backing up. It is definetly harder. We could have worked thru that snow but were near home & a lounge on the deck seemed more appropriate. Good luck.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 02:31 PM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Jud, if 2 up is important to you as you said, you'll like the Tenere just fine.My wife loves the thing & we had a BMW GS12 for 4 years,used for dirt roads in western mountains mostly. Wife feels the Tenere is far more stable in rocks,etc & she loves the fit & that non-slip rear seat. 2 new BMW's(GS12 and an RT) over the years and a buncha jap bikes(including a FJR & 2 ST1100s & a ST1300--boo the latter) have cured me from buying ANYTHING made in Europe (except French flea spray for my hounds).
A pal & I were just out riding rough forest roads,he on his Vstrom 650,me on the Tenere. He was amazed (& slightly appalled) by the Tenere's ease of hammering over boulder fields at some speed. He said his sunglasses shook off on the Vstrom. The Tenere is quite a bit more stable in such stuff than the BMW was(the beemer bounced a lot & frontend at times didn't seem planted.....& it broke a lot--both my beemers did). The Tenere carries TONNES of M&Ms,Snickers bars & other fat goodies too---ask Pluric.
We hit a couple 100 yards of remnant snow ,we were on a slight downgrade. The ONLY thing the Tenere is worse at than the BMW is backing up. It is definetly harder. We could have worked thru that snow but were near home & a lounge on the deck seemed more appropriate. Good luck.
Perhaps roarin should use the phrase "significant other" instead of wife. Who are we to judge???

PS

Hey roarin, it looks like your SO could use a few M&Ms, just sayn'
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Hi Judd

Like Pluric, Calhoun, & others, you ought to recognize me from FJRForum, as I had a 2004 and 2007.

I too switched to the Tenere and love it. The FJR still looks better to me and I love the smooth power of the motor. Yet, there's a mod to short the Tenere clutch lever safety switch that will give you another 15 hp. With that and the low cg, I'll take the Tenere over the Beemer GS any day. My son & I just got back from a nearly 10,000 mile month to Alaska that I would not want to re-run on the FJR. Also nice to have the luggage spot when the rear seat is removed, as I use a duffle there for a back-rest to carry the tent, rain gear, etc.

With respect to range, the mpg is a few less than the FJR and I typically get gas at 200 miles, but have gone past 220 on reserve. The back of the Tenere has proven to be one of the best bikes available for 2-up.

Haven't ridden a Stelvio but like the looks. The Explorer is a bit more street oriented than the Tenere. Both are going to be more expensive and subject to how good your local dealer is. The Triumph dealer near my borther in law is fantastic, the one near me has to order absolutely everything, tying up bikes. I wouldn't want to drop either brand in East Bumfork and have to order a spiffle-nut though.

Join us on the Super Tenere Forum with a buncha other FJR retreads!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Pluric - You're a sick cookie.
Funny as heck.
But twisted!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahill View Post
Hey Jud,

Cycle Nation of Canton has a demo on the floor. Give Micky a call and he'll be glad to let you take a ride.

However, be careful what you wish for or you'll end up like me.

That is the lateral bags set up I am planing for my SuperT. Perfect picture from lateral. If you have a picture from the back, I would appreciate if you could post it. THANKS.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
bahill
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
That is the lateral bags set up I am planing for my SuperT. Perfect picture from lateral. If you have a picture from the back, I would appreciate if you could post it. THANKS.
A quick cell phone photo is about the best I can do at the moment. I don't know if this shows what you are looking for but with the GIVI PLR367 Rapid Release Side Racks they are about one inch from being symmetrical from left to right side.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
!!!!

....perfect !!! you even gave me the answer about the mounting as I was unsure about Givi or Moto SW. Thanks!

BTW, I am assuming you have a Givi windshield... I just order one today.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
bahill
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
BTW, I am assuming you have a Givi windshield...

Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,621
I had an FJR (recenly sold) to put a deposit down on a NTX. I have a Griso now and love the Guzzi motor and character. That is one item that you cannot replicate in an online review.

I liked some items of the Explorer (I never buy first year anything), didn't want another Yamaha, and needed something more touring to replace the FJR. I have a KTM, so the far off road requirement doesn't impact me. I wanted a long haul touring rig with good range and the NTX is ideal for me. It's also comfortable as all hell. The only other mount I was considering was a 1200 Multistrada, but it didn't speak loud enough for me.

I really like the package that Guzzi put out. Fully decked out (short heated grips, but control is still there) and ready for long tours. They took a good package, improved it, and made it great. Mine shows up in August and I cannot wait.

I think your concerns about the factory luggage is true for all the models you list. They all have weak luggage and/or mounts. The SWmototech seem to be more stout than most.

I have a close dealer, but it doesn't bother me about the light network. The bike is about as simple as you can get these days and the overall CARC drive train has proved itself quite rugged since 07. Guzzi build quality is very good. You can see it when I service my Griso. I just adjusted the valves, reset the TPS, and adjusted the throttle bodies. Took an hour.

Owning a v-twin is something everyone should do...ducati, aprillia, guzzi, or harley. There is just something about them that you cannot put on paper.