Oddometer: 3,455
start here...

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/rally/tr1999.htm
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,837
HPN - they usually do airheads in a Dakar sorta flair...there are threads in airheads/old school

If you look you will see that this oil head has been converted to carbs (Bing) ans as such to moronic has been stripped out of it
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Laurel,
THanks for that link. Good pics there of a similar bike and an explanation that it is a prototype HPN frame, so I assume it is NOT available to a person in the general populous...unobtainium?

That is a different bike though. Very similar but different in the tank and airbox area.

I have a good running R1100RT that I am bored with and am wanting to build something cool. I like the tubular frame and standard forks over the heavy forged frame on the GS/GSA frames and the A-arm/monolever frontend for any dirt stuff.

I have an '86 R80G/S that I was thinking about building an HPN replica bike out of, but am not sure if that would make as good of a longer ride on the pavement bike and dont think it will have the power I like without some big rebuilding of the motor at a big expense.

When I saw this frame I thought, Man I have alot of parts that would translate over to a frame like that and give me bit more modern driveline....I know I know you Airhead guys are screaming at your computers that an Airhead is as good or better than my Oilhead....but whatever.

Does anyone know if there is a frame builder that builds a frame like this anywhere that can be purchased by a clown like me?

I have good fab skills and a full fab shop here but not enough to build a full frame and set up all of the geometry stuff. I can build airbox, tank mounts, and modify stuff like a sub frame.....but If I could buy just the trellis front/upper frame section with the steering head all set up I would buy one for sure.

I already have a built set of KYB full cartridge 46mm forks with new seals and heavy springs and a 21" Excell front wheel. The seat/tank/....could easily be pieced together. Man I am jonesing for that frame.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
HPN - they usually do airheads in a Dakar sorta flair...there are threads in airheads/old school

If you look you will see that this oil head has been converted to carbs (Bing) ans as such to moronic has been stripped out of it
That would be a personal choice to do carbs. I could run the FI set and just strip out the ABS brakes and stuff I do not need but keep the FI and ignition pretty easily. I do not care about ABS on a more dirt oriented bike like that.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,455
And...I guess you saw this as well?

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_hpn.html
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oh yeah, I have been there many times since I bought my R80G/S. I just feel like the R80G/S is worth as much or more leaving it alone over building it as a replica HPN and I am still not sure I will LOVE it. I would kind of rather buy a frame like this for my 1100 and do something fun and different.

I LOVE the HP2 bikes from a couple years ago but could not afford one. Building one of these out of my 1100 would a close style of HP2 wannabe.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
You have to make your own here is my interpritation. I need to get back into the shed.
WR

Bike1 by boGSer, on Flickr
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Whale,
Very nice.
So now we have 1 home made bike and at least 2 HPN custom fabbed frames. Those 2 in the first 2 post links are different bikes and they are privately owned since they have different license plate numbers on them.
Somebody has to make them.

You can buy a custom hand crafted Norton Slimline or wideline Featherbed frame in nickel plate with almost any mounts for various engines already in it for under $2000.00 USD so I am sure someone could make a trellis frame for an oilhead for that or less.

I am considering buying a YZ....or whatever frame and using that as a jig for geometry and building off of that....big project there though.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Whale, what is the distance from the front axle center to the swingarm pivot shaft center, if you dont mind?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,122
I made my own.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726304
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Laurel,
THanks for that link. Good pics there of a similar bike and an explanation that it is a prototype HPN frame, so I assume it is NOT available to a person in the general populous...unobtainium?

That is a different bike though. Very similar but different in the tank and airbox area.

I have a good running R1100RT that I am bored with and am wanting to build something cool. I like the tubular frame and standard forks over the heavy forged frame on the GS/GSA frames and the A-arm/monolever frontend for any dirt stuff.

I have an '86 R80G/S that I was thinking about building an HPN replica bike out of, but am not sure if that would make as good of a longer ride on the pavement bike and dont think it will have the power I like without some big rebuilding of the motor at a big expense.

When I saw this frame I thought, Man I have alot of parts that would translate over to a frame like that and give me bit more modern driveline....I know I know you Airhead guys are screaming at your computers that an Airhead is as good or better than my Oilhead....but whatever.

Does anyone know if there is a frame builder that builds a frame like this anywhere that can be purchased by a clown like me?

I have good fab skills and a full fab shop here but not enough to build a full frame and set up all of the geometry stuff. I can build airbox, tank mounts, and modify stuff like a sub frame.....but If I could buy just the trellis front/upper frame section with the steering head all set up I would buy one for sure.

I already have a built set of KYB full cartridge 46mm forks with new seals and heavy springs and a 21" Excell front wheel. The seat/tank/....could easily be pieced together. Man I am jonesing for that frame.
This place sells a front subframe so you can mount regular forks on the front of an 1150. Don't know how that would translate to an 1100. You'd have to make your own rear subframe.

http://www.bakker-framebouw.nl/produ...es/bmw?lang=en
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The same company also made a full frame for this guy here
http://www.berrt.nl/r1150enduro/
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
This place sells a front subframe so you can mount regular forks on the front of an 1150. Don't know how that would translate to an 1100. You'd have to make your own rear subframe.

http://www.bakker-framebouw.nl/produ...es/bmw?lang=en
1100 & 1150 motor mounts for the front subframe are the same so it will fit an 1100.
The bike in the first 2 post where built by HPN and BMW to race and win Paris Dakar if you google 900RR & HPN there is plenty of information out there. The HP2 Enduro came about from these bikes. I have studied alot of photos before I drew up my frame. Have a look at the links for some information

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...rally%2099.htm

http://www.rallye-tenere.net/bmw.html#900rr2001

I am using parts off a YZ donor bike but the frame is way to small for the BMW engine as for steering head angels look at KTM 950 990 Super Enduro to get some ideas the YZ has about an extra 1 Deg steering head angle.
I will measure the distance from the front axle to the pivot point for you.
WR

Rough but close measurement 108cm

Whale Rider screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 10:52 PM
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Thanks guy for the links. That Bakker frame would be a perfect start for what I want to do.
I am really concerned though. The GS frame is not in their price list but some of their other frames run right about 3.500 Euros....holy heck thats a butt load of money for a bit of tubing bent and welded together in a jig...
3.500 was just the frame, the rear subframe was another 1.000 I think so we are looking at close to 5k Euro for a frame...that is well over $7000.00 USD....Im out at that.

Whale, That 900RR is exactly what I would like to build Like many folks I am sure. Did the Dakar have a 900cc engine limit that year or what? Why did they go with 900cc instead of the standard 1150 motor?
I know somewhere around that time they dropped to 650cc singles and later to 450cc.
I know the early airhead HPN bikes were the 1050cc kit on the 65/80 motors.

Whale, I have been looking for a few days and I can not find alot of pics of any custom frames like that, just the frames and any specs. I like what larryboy did, that is what I am thinking of doing. He sounds alot like me....hold it in place and tack weld.