User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
rgb2cmyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Going from a GSA to a R1200GS?

When I bought my 2009 R1200GS Adventure, I got such a great deal on it, it was a no brainer to go for the Adventure over a standard GS. And I've loved every minute of it. Unfortunately while I had intended on keeping it for a long long time, Superstorm Sandy had other plans for Hoboken and hence my bike with 36" of salt water is totaled. So now I'm unexpectedly back in the market and I've started looking.

Has anyone out there gone from having a GSA to a normal GS? What have you found? I'm well versed in the differences on paper and have friends with both, but I'm looking for personal impressions. Are there little things from the GSA that I'll miss, that you would only notice if you had both. For instance wind protection, seat comfort, leg room etc, in addition to the clear differences such as Enduro first gear, ground clearance, larger fuel tank, etc.

On dirt, have you noticed the lower ground clearance and travel as well as the Enduro first gear make a huge difference?

For reference, I'm 6'2 so the height of the GSA never bothered me. Also I do ride the bike aggressively in dirt, probably 60/40% road/dirt (Only because I have to travel a long distance to get to the dirt.)

(As for the new liquid GS, I'd be willing to consider it, but realistically I might not be able to wait that long (assuming I want to buy new anyway).

Thanx
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,475
Sorry to hear about your GSA...

As I understand...it's 'broken in 'boken? Right.

With the 36" of sea water...did the insurance company (who?) totally 'total' it?

Good luck with the 'new to you GS'. You obviously know about these...so now might be a good time (Winter) to buy.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Personally if my GSA was totaled and I was 6'2" and rode 60/40 dirt I would replace it with a 990. I know..no help an no one asked
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Some of us have and we are quite happy with our decision. We just keep quiet about it cuz we're tired of hearing how we are... not man enough to own a GSA or how foolish we are for not.

Went from this...

Too this, no regrets.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
personally if my gsa was totaled and i was 6'2" and rode 60/40 dirt i would replace it with a 990. I know..no help an no one asked
^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

Partly because it's impossible to find an HP2 with low miles
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Impossible!
If I didn't have a 30" inseam, it would be mine.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Well, There it is man!
No need to look further
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Russ

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

Partly because it's impossible to find an HP2 with low miles

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839075

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
I started my GS life on a regular one. Loved it. Wonderful machine... With lots of limitations.

Now I'm on a GSA. LOVE it. Will never sell it. Handles better, flicks side to side easier, has WAY more range, more wind protection, more suspension travel, more toys, more everything. It's limitations are basically how stupid you want to be, and how much you mind picking up a significantly more heavy bike if/when you bin it. I'm pretty stupid, but still tolerate picking mine up...

I couldn't go back and would look at an orange bike instead of the regular GS12.

But if you are feeling sassy and want that HP2, MotoNix is a super cool guy who takes good care of his junk.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Depending how technical your dirt riding is, you may really miss the lower first gear. I find in the real technical stuff I'm always clutching with my GS whereas if I were doing the same with my beloved XR350R (RIP) I wouldn't have to clutch in half as much.

But it really depends how much of your "dirt" is actually real technical stuff that you'll need to crawl along in first gear. If your "dirt" riding is just whipping down gravel and dirt roads, this issue may be moot.

BigBadandUgly
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I started my GS life on a regular one. Loved it. Wonderful machine... With lots of limitations.

Now I'm on a GSA. LOVE it......Handles better, flicks side to side easier.
interesting comment!
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
interesting comment!
I was amazed and very surprised as well! For some reason the GSA felt much better balanced (particularly front to rear) and I really liked the added ride height.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
rgb2cmyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Personally if my GSA was totaled and I was 6'2" and rode 60/40 dirt I would replace it with a 990. I know..no help an no one asked
I haven't ruled out the 990, or the Tiger Explorer, or the S10. I plan on going to test drive them all. I hear the 990 is great, but leaves a little to be desired in regards to road manners. Realistically, though, I did love my GSA, and really do miss her, so why mess with a good thing.

As for the HP2. A sweet bike, but not practical for my needs.

As for what defines 'dirt'. It ranges from hauling down easy dirt roads to rocky muddy hill climbs on ATV trails we have no business being on with a big pig like these
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
stilldointime
Fast and Loose

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
I haven't ruled out the 990, or the Tiger Explorer, or the S10. I plan on going to test drive them all. I hear the 990 is great, but leaves a little to be desired in regards to road manners. Realistically, though, I did love my GSA, and really do miss her, so why mess with a good thing.

As for what defines 'dirt'. It ranges from hauling down easy dirt roads to rocky muddy hill climbs on ATV trails we have no business being on with a big pig like these
I owned a 990 before my GSA, it's a rattle trap and an ass pain for maintenance....nothing is easy to get to on that POS. I think you would be disappointed. The new 990/1190 is a knock off GS anyway. "Realistically, though, I did love my GSA, and really do miss her, so why mess with a good thing.".......says it all!! I rode the east half of the TAT this year on my GSA and would not have traded two 990's after that trip. Good luck with your choice:
stilldointime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post

Given your definition of "dirt" you can go ahead and rule out the Tiger Explorer. Fantastic road bike, but not suited to your definition of dirt at all. Oh sure, there will be those who disagree, but NONE will post up pix like what you see people doing on a 990, GS/A or S10

Not sure why the HP2 isn't practical for your needs, but it has almost the same fuel range as a 990.