ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 784
Help planning from Idaho riders

Could any Idaho riders (or others with experience) help me out here. This is a track that I built in Dualsport's site.

Any real problem for a big bike like a KLR or 990Adv? How much fuel range will I have to have? Any help with fuel locatons and track viabilty from the locals would be much appreciated. Planning this for late July, early August from south to north.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:33 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Could any Idaho riders (or others with experience) help me out here. This is a track that I built in Dualsport's site.
The dualsportmap site is offline from my location. Have it in a gpx, kml or something?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
The dualsportmap site is offline from my location. Have it in a gpx, kml or something?
I am away from the desk top at the moment, but I have both. I just have never figured out how to attach those to a post. I will give it another shot later.

Here is a link to where I posted the gpx file. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....84&postcount=1

Thanks!

Lycan1 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 02:02 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Here is a link to where I posted the gpx file.
Loaded the GPX. From Cataldo down to St. Joe River Road is wide gravel. St. Joe River Road is a highway as is 3 south. Highway 3 is a nice ride through pine forest. It has some fun winding bits. I haven't seen any patrols on it. I usually have some fun there. Same story with 8 toward Elk River.

The forest roads south from 8 don't show on my older Topo software but I see them in the aerial views. They're the bread and butter of those mountains, old and active logging roads. It's not unusual to be blocked by logging or find roads recently changed so have a couple alternates ready. Roads themselves are generally wide dirt, no problem.

Three Bear and Cavendish down to Orofino are paved. The last bit is very twisty. Fun stuff. Nice views on the bench before that.

Can't remember if I've done your hop across the hills to Weippe. Most of the marked roads along Highway 11 are paved or wide gravel. Should be no issues.

Over the mountains to 12 is generally well trafficked. Some of the dirt has a lot of sharp embedded rocks that'll make you want to slow down on a bigger bike. I can't speak to each bit of your track there but as part of the historic Lewis and Clark corridor, everything I've seen is pretty well marked and maintained.

I haven't ridden up the ATV track from Selway Falls but I've wanted to for a couple years. I'd go for it on my GS12 but have an alternate ready. My guess is no problem there. McGruder can be done in a car so I think you're good there.

That's about all I can offer. I don't see anything I wouldn't plan for on the GS so should be easy going (assuming some off-road experience) on a 990.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Loaded the GPX. From Cataldo down to St. Joe River Road is wide gravel. St. Joe River Road is a highway as is 3 south. Highway 3 is a nice ride through pine forest. It has some fun winding bits. I haven't seen any patrols on it. I usually have some fun there. Same story with 8 toward Elk River.

The forest roads south from 8 don't show on my older Topo software but I see them in the aerial views. They're the bread and butter of those mountains, old and active logging roads. It's not unusual to be blocked by logging or find roads recently changed so have a couple alternates ready. Roads themselves are generally wide dirt, no problem.

Three Bear and Cavendish down to Orofino are paved. The last bit is very twisty. Fun stuff. Nice views on the bench before that.

Can't remember if I've done your hop across the hills to Weippe. Most of the marked roads along Highway 11 are paved or wide gravel. Should be no issues.

Over the mountains to 12 is generally well trafficked. Some of the dirt has a lot of sharp embedded rocks that'll make you want to slow down on a bigger bike. I can't speak to each bit of your track there but as part of the historic Lewis and Clark corridor, everything I've seen is pretty well marked and maintained.

I haven't ridden up the ATV track from Selway Falls but I've wanted to for a couple years. I'd go for it on my GS12 but have an alternate ready. My guess is no problem there. McGruder can be done in a car so I think you're good there.

That's about all I can offer. I don't see anything I wouldn't plan for on the GS so should be easy going (assuming some off-road experience) on a 990.
Great, Thanks! I am fairly brave, verging on stupid where I take my 990 these days, just steep single track with loose rocks gets me feeling Yellow (chicken). I usually run a K60 rear, TKC 80 front and dirt is what I prefer to ride these days. Took the 990 around White Rim Trail last year, and only "Hardscrabble hill" (going up) would have beat me without some help from my buddies. The dust cloud could have been seen from space.

I spent a few hours with Google Maps, marking Fuel stops. The longest stretch appears to be North Fork to Elk City at about 280 km ( or 173 miles). With my extra fuel pack I can do 350 km ( 216 miles) comfortably, so I should be good to go.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
The longest stretch appears to be North Fork to Elk City at about 280 km
Within sight of your turn at Lowell up the Selway is the Wilderness Inn which has a gas pump or two (was there a couple months ago). Sounds like you're covered but if you might want it, best call them ahead to make sure their pumps are running. Availability could be seasonal.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Selway Falls

I rode most of your return track on a 950 SE in 08. Selway Falls was fun. Have fun and don't pass gas on the 990. I would pack an extra gallon. The GSA I ride now could make that run, and of course it is a tanker.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
I rode most of your return track on a 950 SE in 08. Selway Falls was fun. Have fun and don't pass gas on the 990. I would pack an extra gallon. The GSA I ride now could make that run, and of course it is a tanker.
Thanks!

I plan on taking a Kolpin fuel can that holds 1, 1/2 gallons. I was thinking of packing a second just to be safe. The run from Henry Lake to Salmon is a bit sparse on fuel stops(178 miles). Then the run from North Fork to Elk City. Other than those two, fuel won't be a problem by the looks of it.

I am used to remote, un-cared-for roads that British Columbia has, so Idaho back-roads will probably seem like gravel highways.

I will be running a Spot , especially if I go alone.

Any recommendations on Camp grounds along the route??

Lycan1 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 11:34 AM
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,056
Idaho veteran here. I've done most of your route on a big bike. I can't download your links, but as near as I can tell most of the roads you chose are pick-up worthy roads, or better. Big bike safe.

East of Eureka will be perfect for the 990. There is a gravel road south from Polebridge, inside the park. Very nice. Real skinny in places, as in, if you meet a car, everyone stops. You lean into the hill and let the car squeeze past. It goes right to Apgar village.

Are you running Red Rock twice? You could southeast out of Dillon on the way to Yellowstone, Scenic.

Exit Yellowstone and aim for Bannock Pass Idaho (west side of I-15). Medicine Lodge Road. This is an historic route over the mts. Perhaps the historic Corinne Road. I haven't verified that, yet. It goes right into your route north.

I like Lemhi Pass a lot. Very cool 30mi. leg. But, you can stay on the MT side and ride gravel north to Big Hole Battle Ground. Then SW over Big Hole Pass to hwy 93 near North Fork. Gas may be an issue over this route.

All the way to Elk City is good scenic road. Watch for ATV's Big ones, hauling trailers.

The Selway Falls section will be the most tough. Near the Falls some steep and can be rutted. Easier headed north from Elk City to Selway Falls.

If your route is road 101 north. Very twisty gravel road. Blind corners and sometimes heavy traffic. Seriously twisty and blind. 20 mi of 200 ft straights. It once took me 1 1/2 hrs to descend this road in the dark.

If you head west on 12 and take Kidder Road to Glenwood and back to 12 for some paved twisties.

Greer Grade, 12 to Pierce, is a great hillclimb. Weippe is ho hum area, Pierce is better, nice twisty pavement going out of town north and east. Routes to Superior MT.(gravel), Elk River ID (gravel) or back to Orofino ID (paved).

At Clarkia, ID there is a super route to Avery and Wallace. East at Clarkia to FS301. East to Roundtop Mt. and south on Fish Hook Cr Rd to Avery. North to Wallace. Variations available here also.

North out of Wallace ia a great paved twisty road to Murray which is a good lunch stop. Spragpole Restaurant and museum. North on the CdA North Fork for a few miles and forest roads to Pend Oreille. Paved to Spion Kop. and then the road swings west to an historic Ranger Station. Lots of roads. Easy to get lost.

There is gas in Darby MT. Clarkia ID (this year). Avery ID. No gas station in Elk River. There may be barrel gas.

I hope that helps.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
andrew.pdx
Thump

Oddometer: 29
Looks like fun.

Last August I spent most of three weeks in ID & MT dodging smoke, a lot of it from the Mustang Complex (fire). I suggest checking the web for the Salmon-Challis and the Bitterroot National Forests to see if there are road closures due to fire damage in that area. ... it was a bad fire year.

I tried to fill a 1-Gallon can whenever I saw no-ethanol gas... It always gave me 7 MPGs (10%) better than the 10% ethanol usually available... the little things add up. There was gas in Conner,MT.

I highly recommend if it fits in: From Big Hole Battlefield go W about a mile to Foothills Rd and take it W to Gibbonsville. Fantastic scenery and fascinating environmental transition zones crossing that way. I was lucky to be told about it by a local guy.

Enjoy your trip
andrew.pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
Idaho veteran here. I've done most of your route on a big bike. I can't download your links, but as near as I can tell most of the roads you chose are pick-up worthy roads, or better. Big bike safe.

East of Eureka will be perfect for the 990. There is a gravel road south from Polebridge, inside the park. Very nice. Real skinny in places, as in, if you meet a car, everyone stops. You lean into the hill and let the car squeeze past. It goes right to Apgar village.

Are you running Red Rock twice? You could southeast out of Dillon on the way to Yellowstone, Scenic.

Exit Yellowstone and aim for Bannock Pass Idaho (west side of I-15). Medicine Lodge Road. This is an historic route over the mts. Perhaps the historic Corinne Road. I haven't verified that, yet. It goes right into your route north.

I like Lemhi Pass a lot. Very cool 30mi. leg. But, you can stay on the MT side and ride gravel north to Big Hole Battle Ground. Then SW over Big Hole Pass to hwy 93 near North Fork. Gas may be an issue over this route.

All the way to Elk City is good scenic road. Watch for ATV's Big ones, hauling trailers.

The Selway Falls section will be the most tough. Near the Falls some steep and can be rutted. Easier headed north from Elk City to Selway Falls.

If your route is road 101 north. Very twisty gravel road. Blind corners and sometimes heavy traffic. Seriously twisty and blind. 20 mi of 200 ft straights. It once took me 1 1/2 hrs to descend this road in the dark.

If you head west on 12 and take Kidder Road to Glenwood and back to 12 for some paved twisties.

Greer Grade, 12 to Pierce, is a great hillclimb. Weippe is ho hum area, Pierce is better, nice twisty pavement going out of town north and east. Routes to Superior MT.(gravel), Elk River ID (gravel) or back to Orofino ID (paved).

At Clarkia, ID there is a super route to Avery and Wallace. East at Clarkia to FS301. East to Roundtop Mt. and south on Fish Hook Cr Rd to Avery. North to Wallace. Variations available here also.

North out of Wallace ia a great paved twisty road to Murray which is a good lunch stop. Spragpole Restaurant and museum. North on the CdA North Fork for a few miles and forest roads to Pend Oreille. Paved to Spion Kop. and then the road swings west to an historic Ranger Station. Lots of roads. Easy to get lost.

There is gas in Darby MT. Clarkia ID (this year). Avery ID. No gas station in Elk River. There may be barrel gas.

I hope that helps.
Thank so much this is very helpful, including the gas locations. I may modify the Red Rock section based on your intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.pdx View Post
Looks like fun.

Last August I spent most of three weeks in ID & MT dodging smoke, a lot of it from the Mustang Complex (fire). I suggest checking the web for the Salmon-Challis and the Bitterroot National Forests to see if there are road closures due to fire damage in that area. ... it was a bad fire year.

I tried to fill a 1-Gallon can whenever I saw no-ethanol gas... It always gave me 7 MPGs (10%) better than the 10% ethanol usually available... the little things add up. There was gas in Conner,MT.

I highly recommend if it fits in: From Big Hole Battlefield go W about a mile to Foothills Rd and take it W to Gibbonsville. Fantastic scenery and fascinating environmental transition zones crossing that way. I was lucky to be told about it by a local guy.

Enjoy your trip
Thank you! I will check out that Gibbonsville area. I found it tough to get real gas, without corn juice when I went through Idaho last year on the way to Moab. I was always happy to fill at places that didn't have the ethanol stickers on the pumps.