User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
what the???

so i wired the 2 wire kill switch in, one side to ground, the other to the black wire at the terminal block (smaller gauge black wire side so it would fit under the screw easier). also, while i had the tank off (wouldn't it be nice if that crossover tube had shut-offs and quick disconnects) i replaced the throttle and throttle cable. got it all back together, start it up, kill switch shuts the bike down perfectly. to celebrate my success, i drop it into gear, let the clutch out a bit and, much to my suprise, i'm pulling BACKWARDS! this can't be right. try again. checked to make sure the throttle isn't wired in reverse (joke ). take the tank back off, removed the kill switch wire from the smaller black wire side and install it on the larger gauge black wire side (much harder to get 2 wires into that tiny terminal). put everything back together again, starts right up, goes FORWARD in gear now, shuts down when i hit the new kill switch. thanks again fellas
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #32
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthaler View Post
to celebrate my success, i drop it into gear, let the clutch out a bit and, much to my suprise, i'm pulling BACKWARDS! this can't be right.
Running backwards is not unkommen for a Bultaco Sherpa.

You can force the engine to start backwards by rolling backwards down a slope with third gear engaged but pulling clutch, then release the clutch when you have picked up some speed and now the engine + bike will run backwards.

But the engine does sound strange and I don't think it's very healthy and I would not recommend to do this for a longer time. Nevertheless, at age 16-17 I did this regulary with my Bultaco Sherpa 175cc.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #33
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
I don't think your wiring had anything to do with the backwards running. If you check and adjust the ignition timing a little it will probably take care of the issue.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #34
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

i don't know how either, but when i changed the wires where i described, it ran properly. i am not gonna boggle my mind to try and figure it out. i'm just relieved it works as it should. it was amusing, but not something I'd like to repeat
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #35
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Nothing to think about, just commen for Sherpas, the running in reverse / backwards theme is often reported:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/..._hl__backwards
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #36
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

just lucky then. i wasted an extra 10min playing with wires.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
just lucky then. i wasted an extra 10min playing with wires.
If you play with the timing, you can have a "lotto" on which way it starts after a
kick... problem is, if you do what I have had happen, the bike can stall and
instantaneously restart in reverse on a hill, or bumping up against something...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

wow. that sounds horrible. are you guys trying to scare me off ? although, now that i think about it, one of the 4st honda tl's would be nice
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
wow. that sounds horrible. are you guys trying to scare me off ? although, now that i think about it, one of the 4st honda tl's would be nice
Isn't, it can happen accidently but as mentioned does not happen "all the time". I believe it has to do with the very forwarded timing you have and the fact that the engine is an ultra short stroke which makes reverse spinning very easy.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #40
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278

I regularly ride both left and right shift bikes, but my Sherpa has the pattern reversed from my Norton and Ducati.

while going up a hill a while back, I went to down shift, but when I let out the clutch, I discovered I had upshifted. I immediatly pulled in the clutch, downshifted twice, grabbed a handful of throttle as my speed was almost gone, and launched over the bars when the bike went backwards
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #41
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Scare you off? Hell no, but I think we're trying to {HINT HINT} you, to check the timing, so it wont happen to you. I just recall we tried the "advance the timing" tricks back in the day, had results like that...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #42
neanderthaler OP
Adventurer

update

i started the rl250 thread, and have learned a few things since then - i realized that i like the rl because it rides and does most everything else closer to how my enduro bikes do. it is what i am used to. i now see what you have all been saying. i have no trials experience, so i assume this just means that i am more comfortable on the suzuki. so far, i must say (and agree) that the bike seems bulletproof (now that i've replaced the leaking shocks, and soon to seal the leaking tank). for that reason, i truly appreciate the bike.
the sherpa, is a true classic. my emotions are strirred just seeing it! the suzuki seems to be a tool, but the bultaco is a thoroughbred. although, i was more comfortable on the rl, i now realize how much better i can ride the sherpa. i can make much tighter turns and balance far better. the motor on the bultaco has a smoother power surge. the suzuki, being 76cc smaller, and lighter flywheel takes a bit more rev (not that i mind, my ktm is a 200xc). brakes are a toss up, they both could use some improvement. unrelated to the bikes themselves, i much prefer the dunlop tires i put on the suzuki to the vee rubber i have on the bul.
in closing, i decided to show the sherpa some love and send the entire motor, carb and electrics up to hugh's in new york for a complete check up. i know, i know - i'll never learn my bike without working on it, but i wanted to know that it is "factory" correct from the beginning, so that when i do open it myself for the first time, i will know what it SHOULD look like. i have the mso, however, internally, i don't know who or what has been inside the motor before me. i really am excited to get the bike back together and get out on it. i'm going to give my son the rl and hopefully hit some trials together. he's already a GREAT harescrambles partner.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #43
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

I find it takes me a couple days of riding no other bikes to get the feel for my Bultaco, then it works very well. Then it takes a couple of days riding modern bikes to re-train myself to them. I can switch back forth between different modern bikes or trials and Enduro bikes but when i get on or off the Bultaco I need re-training time.
I have recently aquired a TY250 with the thought that it probably won't be as effective as the Bultaco but may be easier to mix riding with modern bikes, we'll see. I'm hoping the TY will be adequate for vintage lines, which are usually pretty easy.
There are times I'd like to ride modern and vintage events on the same weekend, wish me luck.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #44
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Yep Sherpas are different to ride. Most twinshock bikes need some time to get used too. I have the same "issues" with the Sherpa and the SWM TL.NW to switch between them is no problem, but switching to a new bike or vica versa is a task ...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #45
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Yep Sherpas are different to ride. Most twinshock bikes need some time to get used too. I have the same "issues" with the Sherpa and the SWM TL.NW to switch between them is no problem, but switching to a new bike or vica versa is a task ...
Thats good to hear, I thought it was just me.